Recalls

I presume that if it's important enough for you to send out recall notices, then it should be taken serious. So why the hell does Dodge make me constantly beg for them to actually perform the work? I called the day I got the notice in the mail. No parts? Put me on the list. It should be a couple of weeks? Please call me in couple of weeks and let me know when I can schedule an appointment. Still no parts? Just frigging call me and tell me something!!! This months and months of no parts and no calls is really pissing me off. It's a frigging safety recall. Are you hoping that the key will shut off again and I get killed in an accident so you won't have do anything about it? Ugghh!

I realize this is easy for me to say BUT before you give up on the manufacturer

try another dealer because that's all they are "franchised dealers".

There can be a world of difference in response or care given between

any 2 of these sales/service points be they a block or 100 miles apart.

Given that you're complaining about a recall with a 2010, I assume your issue is the wireless ignition node and FOBIK replacement. You don't have to go to a Dodge dealership - ANYTHING operating under a FCA brand will do the recall (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, whatever). You can go to any FCA-brand vehicle dealership anywhere in the country and get the service performed. If you haven't done it already, take everything else off of the FOBIK - don't let keys hang off of it, that was what caused the recall in the first place.

Thanks, I do feel better! Removing extra keys was the first thing I did. I just get really, really irratated with poor customer service. The whole "we've got your money, go pound sand" attitude rubs me the wrong way. i didn't think of trying a different dealer. I like to think that MY dealer would be there for me, hoping that when I go to get a new car in a couple of years, that they would be looking for my return business. I guess if they're good with one and done, then so be it. Thanks for the space to vent!

I'm surprised they proposed the solution they did - after all, the problem is that a heavy enough ring of keys attached to the fob can torque it to the 'off' position.

Sort of like the old story about the doctor giving advice to a patient who is complaining that he has pain whenever he twists his leg in a certain way . . . . 'just don't do that'.

In the aircraft industry the solution would have been to supply a sticker to affix to the console warning that this is a possibility and that would have been the end of it.

In any case, the problem is apparently pretty rare and I gather that you haven't suffered the problem, even before you removed your fob from your key ring - and you can't have the problem without your keys attached.

Note that if you have enough keys even the recall won't prevent the problem - the recall simply pushes the goalposts further away.

I'm looking into a different dealer, but I thought I'd follow through with this dealer and gave them a call. After being put on hold more than a few times, I was finally told that I am "now number 8, no, wait... number 7" on the list to have this work done. Odd. I was something like number 4 back on June 8 when I put the request in! Maybe I can get them to activate the DRL for the inconvenience. :lol:

(Edit- Emoticon added for clarity)

Edited by trevcda

@trevcda

I'm curious;

Can you explain just how you've been inconvenienced? Has your vehicle been out of service? Have you gone to have the work done at their direction and found that they couldn't take you in and so wasted your time by going in and now need to return?

More to the point . . . has your vehicle been impacted by the underlying reason for the recall? (which in my opinion is just a public relations move in any case, since even after the recall is performed and you put enough keys on your ring and hang them off the fob so that they apply torque to the device the vehicle will still be able to be shut down as the result of going over a bump).

If I was the advisor and a client told me he felt entitled to compensation as the result of somehow being 'inconvenienced' by NOT having had to come in for something that doesn't impact on his use of the vehicle I suspect that the request would not only be denied, but that the work might take a lot longer to complete than it would if the client was being simply pleasant.

Edited by bramfrank

First off, that last line was intended with tongue firmly planted in cheek. This being the internet and you not knowing me from Adam, I guess I couldn't expect you to know that. I should have put a smiley in there for you. Sorry. Secondly, I have been inconvenienced. Having stopped by several times and made more phone calls than I should have had to make to take care of a problem that is not of my making and has cost me my time, which is valuable anytime it's used, more so when I have to call during regular business hours. Thirdly, yes I have had the reason for the recall actually occur about four months before the recall, after which I removed all but two keys from that ring, like any reasonably intelligent person would have, and have not experienced the issue since. But since they're not calling it a "minor inconvenience recall", but rather a "safety recall", I don't find it at all unreasonable to expect it to be done in a timely manner.

Edited by trevcda

First off, that last line was intended with tongue firmly planted in cheek. This being the internet and you not knowing me from Adam, I guess I couldn't expect you to know that. I should have put a smiley in there for you. Sorry. Secondly, I have been inconvenienced. Having stopped by several times and made more phone calls than I should have had to make to take care of a problem that is not of my making and has cost me my time, which is valuable anytime it's used, more so when I have to call during regular business hours. Thirdly, yes I have had the reason for the recall actually occur about four months before the recall, after which I removed all but two keys from that ring, like any reasonably intelligent person would have, and have not experienced the issue since. But since they're not calling it a "minor inconvenience recall", but rather a "safety recall", I don't find it at all unreasonable to expect it to be done in a timely manner.

Im with you 100%! My last dealer was a pos, making me feel "privileged" to bring my new, broken, car to them for service. My dealer now is how a dealer SHOULD BE. They greet me at the car door, listen to my problems, keep me updated on progress and either give me a loaner or set me up with a rental. On top of it I didnt even buy the care from them! Love those guys like family!

Yes, a car is a machine and machines break, even brand new ones. It is time for car dealers manufacturers start treating people who ask for service just like they do when they want your $$$. They only reason they do recalls most of the time is because they are forced to. I agree, recall times are too excessive many times but if new parts must be designed and manufactured, well if they rush it there will be another recall. It doesnt bother me to wait if im not having an issue. Someone who is stranded can have my part, ill get the next one.

Sorry for the vent, I dont bleed Dodge, orChevy or Ford either. Owned them all. Just think dealers should treat people like they are buying, not repairing all the time. NO OFFENSE to our very helpful Dodge connections here, you guys are great!

• 3 months later...

And a follow up: It finally happened last week! I got the recall service done with a new key receiver (or whatever it's called) and two new fobiks. FYI, they reuse the actual key from the old fobiks. In my case I only had one, so while I now have two fobiks, I only have one key. It did take two+ hours to do a job estimated to take one hour. The end result was a much stiffer ignition switch, as expected. Like someone said above, it doesn't necessarily "fix" the issue, it just sets the goal post further away. I'll keep the excess weight off of the key chain. Oh and I did have them check on software options for turning on the DRLs, but apparently it's not even an option for my model and/or year.

You can get replacement emergency keys on Amazon for $6. Take it to your big-box hardware retailer of choice (blue or orange, doesn't really matter) and they'll cut the key for you, probably for free. For some reason, I can't paste links through the computer I'm on to this forum, but do a search for "Chrysler fobik emergency key" and you'll find it.

Dealers won't give you a new replacement emergency key because A) there is no practical reason to do so (the key cylinder isn't being changed) and B) copied keys are NEVER as good as the original (sure they work, but don't copy copies, they tend not to).