car unlocking itself

well my 2014 has a slight problem sometimes unlocking and beeping at me 3 times after i get out and manually lock the car and shut the door as i walk by the rear hatch corner the car will beep three times and unlock it self. or it if i get out and the wife locks her side as she gets out and i am by the rear of the car it does the same thing. not happing lot but enough to be a need to have it checked out next time it goes in the shop, but of course they will say they have to see it happen before they can do anything and as we all know a watched pot never boils... P. S, also when it happened with the wife locking the car she does not have her key fob with her, for some reason the car thinks there is still a key fob inside the car while being locked.. will be going on a long vac on monday so wont be able to talk to a dealer for about 4 weeks.. will update if and when i find out anything......

I haven't had this problem, but I also never lock it manually. I always press the button on the handle, or if I've already walked away and forgotton, I press the remote.

Guess I didn't read closely enough... I have NEVER manually locked my car, but this has happened to me using the fob, typically with the kid involved as stated in my first post...

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem. Have a 2014 with keyless proximity unlock and ignition (push button). It happens to me intermittently. Have ignition off, get out and press the lock button on the armrest, close driver door, walk about 5 to 10 feet, then three beeps to notify me that it has unlocked itself. Also, as just happened, got into vehicle, pressed the lock button on armrest, started to press ignition button to start engine, as I was reaching for ignition button it beeped three times and sure enough the door was now unlocked with me seated in the driver seat. Relocked it, started engine without any further problem. Have tried several different sequences to see if I could identify any pattern. No noticeable pattern as to when it will happen and never happens twice in a row. Definitely time to see the dealer about this annoying problem.

problem is they have to see it happens or else they cant do anything and with mine it happens at different times. happened today so i got back in shut the door started the car back up then shut it off opened the door hit the lock and got out shut the door and got to the rear bumper and nothing happened. so we would have a hard time getting the dealer to check it.. oh well.

I checked on my end for any STAR cases or service bulletins - none at this time. There should be some stored diagnostic information in the door module or body control module if there was a malfunction. All the dealer would have to do would be to plug into the car and scan it to see if anything was there, and then diagnose the issue according to the fault code(s), if any. If no codes were present then the issue may have to become more frequent before it can be accurately diagnosed.

I had a similar problem, but opposite - my car kept trying to lock itself repeatedly after we got out of it. I found the driver's side power door lock button physically stuck down and repeatedly cycling the door locks every 10 seconds or so. I freed up the switch and cleaned it in case something like a grain of sand or something sticky were holding it down. No problem since. If the problem occurs again for you, check both driver and passenger side door switches for the same condition. If they are free, then try to see a dealer so the car can be scanned.

• 7 months later...

The only time I've ever had mine not lock on the first attempt (aside from when the kids are hitting the lock button and holding inside the door handle) was when my wife had left her key inside. It took me until the next day to figure that out. When I wash it, water running down the front doors is enough to trigger the passive entry unlock (I usually have my key with me so I can get back in and pop the hood to dry out those crevices, and then clean all the glass).

I love these forums. I had this happen last evening. Pushed the door lock button on the door, closed it and I got the three horn beeps (lights flashed as well) and the doors unlocked. Did anyone ever figure it out?

Mine does that exact thing if I am grasping the handle to close it.

Still sensing fob I guess.

I love these forums. I had this happen last evening. Pushed the door lock button on the door, closed it and I got the three horn beeps (lights flashed as well) and the doors unlocked. Did anyone ever figure it out?

Mine has been narrowed down to another fob in the vehicle.

Mine will triple-honk occasionally on locking up and leaving - grabbing the handle with the FOB on your person is NOT a cause, since that only unlocks the door and mine will do the deed as I am walking away.

I would presume that one of the FOB detectors is way too sensitive and when conditions are right it will decide the FOB is in the car - a press on the 'lock' button to relock the vehicle solves resolves the immediate issue.

If, however it simply unlocks without warning you probably ought to look into the decoder and the unlock buttons on the door switches as has been suggested. I wonder if it couldn;t also be a chafed wire in the door harness?

as i said earlier it happens to me once in awhile i have noticed my drivers door outside button sometimes i have to push it a couple of times to get it to lock, the passenger side no problems. i think there might be a connection there if i open the drivers door and then re-shut it then try the lock button on the door again it always works then . haven't been back to the dealer lately and i am not worried as this only happens once a month or so.

Edited by 2late4u

• 5 months later...

Happens to my wife all the time and dealer told her it was extra fob (we have remote start which uses a different fob)> So needless to say we have 4 fobs for ours-two with the remote start and the two original. Wife carried the remote start one and I had original one in my pocket.Had this problem, tried it with just the two remote start fobs and she still has the problem. She has more problems without me in it. Dealer still looking for problem, told the wife the problem is FCA.

just got home from the movies locked the car manually as i got out shut the door half way inside the garage beep beep beep. oh well if you tell the dealer they just hand you a piece of paper with a bunch of nonsense on it about what or why it does it and they half to see it do it or they cant fix it. does it every once in a while so i don't worry about it. and no the wife's keys were in the house 30 feet away no other fob near it and the not a full moon out so guess ill just live with it....