Strong vibration

Im not sure if im in right section.. I need some input about what just happened earlier. Mine is an 2012 r/t, 11,900 kms on it. As im driving on @100kph i got a strong vibration which is scary. The whole vehicle shakes violently. I notice it one time with 40kph but i just ignore it because it semms tolerable. Any idea what might be the cuase! Dealership closed at week end my concern is if i continue to drive will it worsen the damage. Im sure if i schedule it. It will take two weeks to get in as dealership is busy these days!

Areas that might be cause of vibration/shimmy in the past posts

are warped rotors , brake pad hung up (not retracting) ,poorly

torqued wheel nuts ,tire failure (broken radial belt) and recently

posted a build up of dirt between the rim and chrome cladding

on wheel rims.

I just got it rotated on my 2nd oil change @9400kms less than 3 months ago. I also checked its alignment Last year when my battery got dead and they have to winch it sideways to tow. Is wheel balancing covered by warranty? Thanks for input. Hopefully it will be a quick fix when i bring it to dealership!

I just got it rotated on my 2nd oil change @9400kms less than 3 months ago. I also checked its alignment Last year when my battery got dead and they have to winch it sideways to tow. Is wheel balancing covered by warranty? Thanks for input. Hopefully it will be a quick fix when i bring it to dealership!

Seriously? Did you get a warranty? Did you read what is covered and what is not?

Did they balance as well as rotate? Rotating does nothing if the balance is off. Alignment generally does not cause vibrations, mostly uneven tire wear.

Seriously? Did you get a warranty? Did you read what is covered and what is not?

Did they balance as well as rotate? Rotating does nothing if the balance is off. Alignment generally does not cause vibrations, mostly uneven tire wear.

I did pay wheel alignment and rotation on separate occassion. I got a couple of free oil change so i just paid rotation. On alignment i paid extra 19.99 on it while they are doing warranty work just for peace of mind for winching it sideways! I tried to push it to include under warranty because they were the one who authorize tow company to winch it but it didnt work.

As I said, alignment is not the same as balancing.

Oh ok.. I got it. Since i will have them to balance my wheel as a start for vibration issue is it a good idea to tell them to rotate as well since they are taking it off the journey to put in their machine. Or no need coz it was just rotated 2200 kms ago.

• Official Dodge Support

Chris1276,

Sorry to learn of this vibration you're experiencing.

Wheel balancing is not covered by your 3 year or 60,000 kms warranty.

As others have mentioned, there could be any number of reasons for this vibration.

Hopefully your dealer can get you sooner rather than later.

• 3 weeks later...

My money is on the tires having flat spots.

Only 7500 miles on it as a 2012 means it has been sitting around. These vehicles come equipped with cheap, crappy Chinese tires that will not last more than 1 or 2 years before developing the classic 60 mph shake.

Only 7500 miles on it as a 2012 means it has been sitting around. These vehicles come equipped with cheap, crappy Chinese tires that will not last more than 1 or 2 years before developing the classic 60 mph shake.

No, that is a false statement. The tires are not "cheap, crappy chinese" tires. They are major brand name tires made to the manufacturers specifications to obtain a soft ride, i.e. soft compound and they do wear out quicker than the tires you and I can get from the tire store.

It's actually a South Korean company that has R&D facilities here in the U.S...

They have been around since 1960 and have won many awards for the quality of their products over the last 50+ years. They also have a massive production facility in Macon, Georgia that supports a large number of American workers and supplies tires to North America...

You should know what you're talking about before posting and spreading misinformation on the site. As jkeaton said, these tires are manufactured to Chrysler's specification and meet all ISO standards for the production of automotive tires. They are also used in luxury brands like Mercedes...

Im not sure if im in right section.. I need some input about what just happened earlier. Mine is an 2012 r/t, 11,900 kms on it. As im driving on @100kph i got a strong vibration which is scary. The whole vehicle shakes violently. I notice it one time with 40kph but i just ignore it because it semms tolerable. Any idea what might be the cuase! Dealership closed at week end my concern is if i continue to drive will it worsen the damage. Im sure if i schedule it. It will take two weeks to get in as dealership is busy these days!

Jack the car up, take the wheels down and torque every bolt on every knuckle, just in case. Check my pictures in the other thread, I trusted my car on the dealer's hands and put my family's life in danger. If anyone finds what I've just said offensive, or exagerated I beg you to sit and think in my shoes for a second and then decide if I'm righteously pissed off or exaggerating.

I have to admit I was a little worried after I read all the complaints about the Kumhos, but I have a little over 20k miles on mine so far and no problems. They still track straight and have plenty of tread left. I expect to get around 45k before they wear out.

That would be awesome, the 225/55/19 Kumho Solus I had on mine were bald at 8k km but it might have been the loose bolt + towing that caused it. I didn't put Kumho's on my Journey anymore, I paid for Michelins

Kumhos are fine. I'll get at least 45,000 miles out of mine before I purchase new. I put the Kumho 21 tires on my wife's ride. She's got over 10,000 miles on hers and they still look new.

Peace.

That's awesome, too bad my experience was bad with them.

Just replaced my Kuhmos at 34k miles. I have always liked Michelin, so I put them on my Journey. It really made a huge difference. It rides a whole lot better.

When I had my problems at 8k km I did some reasearch and ended up putting Michelin Latitude on 235/55/R19 ...55k km on the car now and tires still look good and ride awesome.