cold start slap

whitesxt

Anmyone had this issue?

whenever i let it sit for a couple hours or so, cold start in the morning mostly, i get a louder noise that last for like 1-2 seconds and then fade away. only started doing that about a month ago.

i have an appointment to the dealer next week but i was just wondering if anyone had that. only last for 1-2 second, engine sound change right after to settle to normal.

• Official Dodge Support

Anmyone had this issue?

whenever i let it sit for a couple hours or so, cold start in the morning mostly, i get a louder noise that last for like 1-2 seconds and then fade away. only started doing that about a month ago.

i have an appointment to the dealer next week but i was just wondering if anyone had that. only last for 1-2 second, engine sound change right after to settle to normal.

whitesxt,

Out of all the Journeys I've heard start up, I haven't observed a single one that didn't have a slight noise on start up in cold conditions.

Now having said that, are you noticing this in other conditions such as warm weather or after having driven the vehicle?

There aren't any common issues to speak of however it would be worth getting this to the attention of your dealer in the off chance there is a real condition present.

• 3 months later...

i bought a used 2011 Journey 4 cyl a little over a month ago with only 63,000 kms ,took it to the dealer because of a loud tapping noise during cold start up and it last for over a minute and a half to 2 minutes.The dealer had me leave it overnight so they could listen and upon doing so they told me its piston slap and nothing could be done about it .

Edited by Unclemarker

i bought a used 2011 Journey 4 cyl a little over a month ago with only 63,000 kms ,i loved it up until now,took it to the dealer because of a loud tapping noise after cold start up and it last for over a minute and a half to 2 minutes.The dealer had me leave it overnight so they could listen and upon doing so they told me its piston slap and nothing could be done about it .My first and last Dodge !!! Very pissed off in Nova Scotia

Yes thats right. Disregard the entire manufacturers car line because you bought a used vehicle and it makes noise.....smh.

ok JKeaton,i meant last Dodge journey,and its because its a faulty engine ,piston slap is more than just a noise.Now i have another dodge Dealer telling me that alot of the 4cyl are known to them to have that problem and the only way to fix it is a new engine and they sure as hell are not going to do that.If i could have gotten a 6 cyl i would have but i barely could afford the vehicle i got and with only that many kms i thought i would have a good vehicle to drive for quite sometime

• Official Dodge Support

i bought a used 2011 Journey 4 cyl a little over a month ago with only 63,000 kms ,i loved it up until now,took it to the dealer because of a loud tapping noise after cold start up and it last for over a minute and a half to 2 minutes.The dealer had me leave it overnight so they could listen and upon doing so they told me its piston slap and nothing could be done about it .My first and last Dodge !!! Very pissed off in Nova Scotia

ok JKeaton,i meant last Dodge journey,and its because its a faulty engine ,piston slap is more than just a noise.Now i have another dodge Dealer telling me that alot of the 4cyl are known to them to have that problem and the only way to fix it is a new engine and they sure as hell are not going to do that.If i could have gotten a 6 cyl i would have but i barely could afford the vehicle i got and with only that many kms i thought i would have a good vehicle to drive for quite sometime

Unclemarker,

Based on your model year and amount of kilometers, your DJ likely falls within the parameters for the powertrain warranty (5 years/100,000kms)

You mentioned another dealer confirming the noise would be corrected by replacing the engine.

If this is noise is the byproduct of a defect, the P/T warranty would likely cover engine replacement.

I'm leaning towards the fact that your dealer has confirmed the noise is a characteristic which explains why they aren't replacing the engine.

In any event, I'm sorry to learn of your level of dissatisfaction with your DJ.

I'm confused... nothing is actually wrong with it, correct? You just don't like the way the engine sounds? :headscratch:

Our 09 with the 4 cylinder had some noise as well. When we traded it in at over 80,000 miles, it was still making the same noise. Just perform regular maintenance and the engine will outlast the car. I didn't mind the noise. Just drive it and don't worry about it. You do have a good vehicle that you can drive for however long you like if properly maintained.

• 3 months later...

The cold engine noise with the 2.4 is because the lifters are solid tappets. Perfectly normal. When the engine warms up the noise should go away. By today's standards this engine is crude and gruff, but after several years I am still having trouble digging up any info regarding true problems with it.

I haven't heard any noises yet. But you should have heard the startup noise on the 3.7 in my 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade and my 2011 Dodge Nitro: the 3.7 is noted for sounding like Diesel Clatter, no matter the temperature, on initial startup!

With piston slap, you could go with a thicker oil. After every oil change, I add a bottle of STP. I have done this my whole life, and have never had an engine fail on me. Now that I have said this, when I go out to start the DJ this AM, it will probably be shooting 24 valves through the roof of my garage.

I haven't heard any noises yet. But you should have heard the startup noise on the 3.7 in my 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade and my 2011 Dodge Nitro: the 3.7 is noted for sounding like Diesel Clatter, no matter the temperature, on initial startup!

With piston slap, you could go with a thicker oil. After every oil change, I add a bottle of STP. I have done this my whole life, and have never had an engine fail on me. Now that I have said this, when I go out to start the DJ this AM, it will probably be shooting 24 valves through the roof of my garage.

If it's for winter start up I don't think thickening the oil with STP is what you want. You would be better off with thinner oils like a synthetic 5w20 (i think that's what your 2014 calls for) or 0w20 and go 5w30 in the summer. I would only use oil thickening additives like STP (which Dodge doesn't approve the use of) if my vehicle was out of warranty and if I had an oil consumption issue.

If it's for winter start up I don't think thickening the oil with STP is what you want. You would be better off with thinner oils like a synthetic 5w20 (i think that's what your 2014 calls for) or 0w20 and go 5w30 in the summer. I would only use oil thickening additives like STP (which Dodge doesn't approve the use of) if my vehicle was out of warranty and if I had an oil consumption issue.

Like I said, I put it in every oil change - winter or summer. But I do use the specified oil that all of my cars have called for. Maybe I'm wasting my money - but if it works, why change it?

This is fairly exclusive to the 2.4, not the 3.6 that you have. My wife's Avenger does this and every 2.4 I've ever heard has done this. I believe it is related to the oil draining back and how long it takes (when cold) to get oil back up there, which wouldn't be resolved by a thickener...maybe by something that keeps things lubed up there even after the drain back would help, but I don't know that it is worth it.

Like I said, I put it in every oil change - winter or summer. But I do use the specified oil that all of my cars have called for. Maybe I'm wasting my money - but if it works, why change it?

A Journey young in age as yours does not need any additives except for a bottle of fuel system cleaner every 2nd oil change. The oils and engines now have made the use of oil additives a thing of the past. If you want thick oil then use 10w30 (not recommended) but don't waste your money by adding that goo in your engine.

• 1 year later...

hello everyone ,its been awhile since i have been on here ,and in the last post i had made i said my first and last Dodge Journey,well since then i have bought a 2012 R/T and love it .

Also would like to apoligize for being so quick at the time to put down my other journey and anyone i may have offended at the time .

hello everyone ,its been awhile since i have been on here ,and in the last post i had made i said my first and last Dodge Journey,well since then i have bought a 2012 R/T and love it .

Also would like to apoligize for being so quick at the time to put down my other journey and anyone i may have offended at the time .

Pics??? Les see it!!