steering wheel shudder and rattling sound

redtomatoman

I didn't know where to post these. I noticed a shudder between 55-65mph today. Not sure if its tires or something else. My kumhos have about 35k on them. My DJ is pulling slightly to the right so I think I'll have it aligned. Not sure if that will cure the shudder. I also noticed a rattling sound from the front passenger side at the front of the dash. I think it is the plastic piece that is under the wipers outside the windshield rattling from the wind. Any comments are welcome.

Peace.

could be a tire try rotating your fronts to the rear if goes away then it was a tire,how are the tires wearing even or wearing on the inside or outside edge, had my 2011 aligned at about 60k miles they were wearing on both the inside and outside but good tread in middle always kept them rotated and aired up correctly. mech said it was actually one of the rear tires that was out of aligment. but hey i got 60k out of my kumos so not really complaining about them... P.S. my journey wasnt pulling either way

Edited by 2late4u

Our 09 had that annoying rattle from the piece in front of the wipers. It's just flimsy plastic and at certasin speeds it would get some sort of harmonic vibration, kinda like the Tacoma Narrows bridge thing....Once I found out what it was, I just learned to ignore it.

I live on a gravl road and I hear that same rattle in the same spot. I just hear it on the gravl road most of the time. I think the sound is coming from inside the dash, it also looks like the dash is starting to fall ill take a pic to show what I mean.

Edited by Trains123

It's pulling and a higher speed warble? Check your tire pressures.

With this winter, its possible you had a tire freeze slightly flat. Fill em back up to top PSI (check the sticker in the door), drive around for a day to warm em up and check the pressures again. If that doesn't fix it, take it in and have them look. Could just need rotating, or aligned, or balanced.

I wouldn't waste money trying to re-balance the tires. Those kuhmos just never could get balanced perfectly. I always had a slight shudder around 60 mpg. Mine lasted till 40k miles. Just get them replaced when the tread runs out, then see if you need an alignment after the new tires.

• Official Dodge Support

Maybe you have lost a wheel weight ?

larryl,

Could very well be, I lost a weight a few years back during the winter from rubbing up against hard packed snow and ice.

@redtomatoman, I'd almost be inclined to have it brought in for a full alignment and put on the machine to be sure. Not saying this is the case but it's certainly going to help eliminate some of the possibilities.

The shudder is quite minor but the pull is mildly annoying. Thanks to Journeyman's help, I will be at the dealer to activate my DRLs, I hope. I think I'll have them check the alignment mostly because I find the pulling tendency tiring. Besides, if somehow it is something else, warranty ends June of this year. Thanks for all the responses.

Peace.