2012 issues back to the dealer again.....

Well been awhile since I been on here. Wife uses the 2012 Journey every day, ( I use my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with 326,000 km on it)...LOL...................................Anyway the journey is back in the shop this week for a right front control arm bushing. .....Clunking in the front end.

the total repair list with 48,000 km ..is two full rear brake jobs...pads and rotors.........power steering hose and pump replaced due to running dry...........Kumho tires worn out now near 50,000 km.............Front control arm bushing......service All Wheel Drive light .......Rear flashlight don't work anymore, passenger side flip mirror cover broken off.................... I really don't like to vent on here . but this will be our first and last Dodge anything.

Anybody else have any of these issues.......................................thanks Robert

14,000 miles, (@22530 km)

We had 80,000 miles on our 09 when we traded it in last November (@129,000 km) and the only issues with it were the crappy factory brakes (which I upgraded and never had any more issues), alternator, door wiring recall and an intake runner valve. Pretty dependable vehicle for almost 5 years.

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your Journey. Ours is a 2013 with 13,000 miles and has been perfect. Everything works as it should, the fit and finish are first-rate and there's not a rattle or squeak to be heard anywhere. Same story for my 2000 300M. Owned since new, mileage is now 288,000. Engine and tranny are original, as are drive axles, starter, alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor, wheel bearings, etc. Replaced the radiator 100K miles ago, A/C evaporator, one radiator fan motor (there are two), one brake line, one upstream O2 sensor, and the battery. I replaced the struts at 158K miles because the ride was not as firm and controlled as it used to be. Also replaced inner and outer tie rod ends recently due to wear. The suspension component replacements are commensurate with the mileage on the car. In all of those miles, it has only failed to start once, and that is when the battery shorted out. Everything on the car still works except the driver's seat heater. Maybe look again at Chrysler products before you give up, Robert.

sad thing is its not just 1 bad car. the forum is full of unhappy customers and crappy journeys. mine has been in shop more than in my driveway.

My point was too him who said he was giving up on Dodge because of his ONE bad one. I would not go as far as to say "full of unhappy customers and crappy Journeys"...no more than any other automotive forum I belong to. There are good stories and bad. Some people make the bad worse with crappy dealer experiences, but that goes across all manufacturer lines as well.

Edited by jkeaton

We have over 36,000 kilometres on our Journey and have only had the radio and navigation system replaced and weatherstripping on three windows replaced. No mechanical problems and the Kumho tires have been regularly rotated and still in good shape. We love our Journey as well. Best vehicle I've ever owned! By the number of forum members who are repeat owners I would say that says a lot about the Journey! Unfortunately you can get stuck with a bad product with any manufacturer and there should be a better way to resolve these problems. I feel bad for those who have been stuck with a vehicle that they paid good money for and can't get satisfaction. It also doesn't help when you have someone who posts a few times just to stir the pot.

sad thing is its not just 1 bad car. the forum is full of unhappy customers and crappy journeys. mine has been in shop more than in my driveway.

Many posters frustrated with a problem vehicle will use car forums as their platform to vent there frustration :soapbox: and I get that. It happens on all forums but I still don't feel that is the majority sentiment with the Journey.....I love mine :wub: and other DJ owners that I know are quite happy also. My DJ so far has proven to be a real workhorse and I will definitely look to upgrade in the future. :)

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I forgot two more issues......With one of the rear brake jobs ...(second one) the caliper was sized and needed replaced also, and the Kumho ties were rotated when the dealer had it down to be done. Second......the Wheel key lock socket stripped on the dealer and they could not get my four wheel nuts off when doing one of the brake services....Note please Forum readesr service your brakes more so if you live where there is salt and snow on the roads, So now I just have the normal wheel nuts on as they needed a master to get them off when I came back..................................So If it was that much trouble on a year old Journey, I said just put the normal ones on so I don't need the key socket.

I forgot two more issues......With one of the rear brake jobs ...(second one) the caliper was sized and needed replaced also, and the Kumho ties were rotated when the dealer had it down to be done. Second......the Wheel key lock socket stripped on the dealer and they could not get my four wheel nuts off when doing one of the brake services....Note please Forum readesr service your brakes more so if you live where there is salt and snow on the roads, So now I just have the normal wheel nuts on as they needed a master to get them off when I came back..................................So If it was that much trouble on a year old Journey, I said just put the normal ones on so I don't need the key socket.

Excellent advice about the brake service because of road salt, especially with the winter we're having this year.

I think everything is overpriced in Canada....having never been there, I was quite surprised at the prices for normal things like beer and such....I think it was like $12 US for a 6 pack of budlight. where it's like $6-7 here. Even things like Mcdonalds (I know, should have gone to Tim Hortons instead)...almost twice as much as here.

I think everything is overpriced in Canada....having never been there, I was quite surprised at the prices for normal things like beer and such....I think it was like $12 US for a 6 pack of budlight. where it's like $6-7 here. Even things like Mcdonalds (I know, should have gone to Tim Hortons instead)...almost twice as much as here.

My friend from Australia is constantly telling me our cars are cheap over here. I wasn't convinced til he brought me back an auto sales magazine recently. New Journey R/T's are nearly $50,000 over there. Love the Journey, but at $50k my mind starts thinking slightly used Viper or SRT8 Challenger. :lol:

It would seem to me that the OP's vehicle wasn't babied. My ex used to complain about brake life on ANY vehicle she had - we used to give her the new one and I'd get her old one and strangely I always got twice as much mileage out of brakes and much better fuel economy than she did.

The OP might do himself a favour by perhaps taking a look at how his wife drives when 'unsupervised'.

I have 40K on mine and am still on original brakes & tires, though the rear pads will be replaced shortly. I do a pretty even mix of highway and urban driving. Fuel economy tends to sit at between 11-12 l/100 km, so I'm not driving like an old lady, either.

The only issues I've had to date were a leaking manifold gasket and a stuck air door in the heating system.

• 3 weeks later...

Well been awhile since I been on here. Wife uses the 2012 Journey every day, ( I use my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with 326,000 km on it)...LOL...................................Anyway the journey is back in the shop this week for a right front control arm bushing. .....Clunking in the front end.

the total repair list with 48,000 km ..is two full rear brake jobs...pads and rotors.........power steering hose and pump replaced due to running dry...........Kumho tires worn out now near 50,000 km.............Front control arm bushing......service All Wheel Drive light .......Rear flashlight don't work anymore, passenger side flip mirror cover broken off.................... I really don't like to vent on here . but this will be our first and last Dodge anything.

Anybody else have any of these issues.......................................thanks Robert

Our 2012 is going in for the same sort of clunk in the front end. Also the right front wheel is making an awful whirring, grring sound. The transmission will not go into the autoshift mode. Very frustrating.

This is the second time to the dealer for warranty work. Transmission clunk, rear brake caliper, radio malfunction, and now the above stuff. 38k on the odometer. The first 25k was great.

Our 2012 is going in for the same sort of clunk in the front end. Also the right front wheel is making an awful whirring, grring sound. The transmission will not go into the autoshift mode. Very frustrating.

This is the second time to the dealer for warranty work. Transmission clunk, rear brake caliper, radio malfunction, and now the above stuff. 38k on the odometer. The first 25k was great.

My left front end is making that same "whrrig grring" sound (I assume). They just replaced the axle shaft but it only lessened the issue...didn't fix it. Edited by lytefall

• Official Dodge Support

That noise is usually a wheel bearing

larryl,

I couldn't see a wheel bearing being bad this early on but you never know, the description of the noise sounds an awful lot like it could be though that's for sure.