Extended warranty

Does the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty transfer? How would I go about doing this as the dealer we bought from (Carmax) said nothing about it, We also purchased an extended 6 year/100,000 mile warranty. I'm thinking that is not needed if the factory warranty is in effect.

The warranties transfer automatically to the new owner (you). They go with the vehicle. There is the 36 month / 36,000 mile basic warranty which covers the complete vehicle. The 5/100 warranty is for powertrain components only. Neither carry a deductible. Find out if your 6/100 warranty is powertrain coverage only, or is it more comprehensive. Is it a Chrysler Service Contract? If you are not sure, post or PM the last eight digits of your VIN with your approximate current mileage and I can look it up for you.

• Official Dodge Support

The warranties transfer automatically to the new owner (you). They go with the vehicle. There is the 36 month / 36,000 mile basic warranty which covers the complete vehicle. The 5/100 warranty is for powertrain components only. Neither carry a deductible. Find out if your 6/100 warranty is powertrain coverage only, or is it more comprehensive. Is it a Chrysler Service Contract? If you are not sure, post or PM the last eight digits of your VIN with your approximate current mileage and I can look it up for you.

Do you have any paperwork on this "extended 6 year/100,000 mile warranty?"

Last 8 digits: DT660651

Extended warranty is Carmax's "Maxcare Service Contract". $100 deductible, but if we use Carmax service center it's only $50 decuctible. Covers breakdown, rental reimbursement ($40/day, 7 days max) and towing reimbursement not to exceed $100. Does not cover maintenance items or non-mechanical parts (glass, light bulbs, lenses, trim, moldings, upholstery, etc.), collisions (obviously), negligence, misuse or recalls.

Correct VIN now - it was off one digit. Your Journey was originally placed in service on March 25, 2013. So, your basic warranty expires 3/25/2016 or at 36K miles, whichever comes first. The powertrain warranty is 60 months/100K miles, again whichever comes first.

The CarMax contract you purchased is an aftermarket (non-factory) contract, as it does not appear on the Chrysler side. All active Chrysler Service Contracts appear in the inquiry that I ran for you. You can decide if it is worth keeping or cancelling. Read the contract, then read the warranty booklet that accompanies the owner's manual, and compare the coverages to help you decide. I can help you with a warranty PDF if you did not get it with your Journey.

Edited by Journeyman425

Having been through the mill with aftermarket policy writers (including having had to take one to court to get them to pay) I would NEVER buy an extended warranty from anyone except the manufacturer.

The OEM policies are easier to deal with, don't force you to pay for diagnostics and replacement fluids, they provide for rental cars if there's an overnight repair and best of all, no haggling - and you get your vehicle fixed at a dealer who uses factory original parts.

I ran a buyer's group for factory warranties for Canadian owners last year - it went well enough and we had about 15 buyers (though the selling dealer has since closed their doors, not that it affects the policy). So I have the 7/115 with zero deductible on my '11 - that, or the 7/160 make the most sense IMO, since a 5 year policy really only covers things like the radio, power windows and air conditioning, given that the power train is covered for 5 years anyway.

My DJ turned 2 in September and runs just fine. I've been to the dealer only once to have a few issues resolved (mostly minor, the big one being a leaking valve cover gasket) and they gave me a loaner, did the work and gave me the vehicle back washed. All dealers should be so accommodating.

Having been through the mill with aftermarket policy writers (including having had to take one to court to get them to pay) I would NEVER buy an extended warranty from anyone except the manufacturer.

The OEM policies are easier to deal with, don't force you to pay for diagnostics and replacement fluids, they provide for rental cars if there's an overnight repair and best of all, no haggling - and you get your vehicle fixed at a dealer who uses factory original parts.

I ran a buyer's group for factory warranties for Canadian owners last year - it went well enough and we had about 15 buyers (though the selling dealer has since closed their doors, not that it affects the policy). So I have the 7/115 with zero deductible on my '11 - that, or the 7/160 make the most sense IMO, since a 5 year policy really only covers things like the radio, power windows and air conditioning, given that the power train is covered for 5 years anyway.

My DJ turned 2 in September and runs just fine. I've been to the dealer only once to have a few issues resolved (mostly minor, the big one being a leaking valve cover gasket) and they gave me a loaner, did the work and gave me the vehicle back washed. All dealers should be so accommodating.

just wondering how much did the extended warr. cost you???

Bramfrank makes a very valid point about aftermarket service contracts. I was on the fence about elaborating the cons of aftermarket warranties since you have already purchased it, but if you have a cancellation clause that does not fiscally hurt you then you might consider doing so.

Aftermarket service contracts (often, but not necessarily always) make the owner and the shop jump through many hoops in order to get a claim paid. The contracts are often worded with all kinds of terms which, if not followed to the letter, allow them to sidestep payment to the owner or the shop. It is for those very reasons why my shop will not accept any aftermarket warranties, nor do we sell anything but the Chrysler Service Contracts.

The factory Service Contract is very straightforward. All repairs correspond to an eight digit Labor Operation Number (LOP). There is no guesswork - if a customer's vehicle needs a repair, we simply type the LOP number into the customer's Service Contract. If the LOP is covered by the plan, we get paid no questions asked, and the customer is only responsible for the deductible as stated on their plan. No adjuster to call, no records to show, nothing is open to interpretation by a third party adjuster, often sent to the repair shop by the aftermarket warranty company to verify the shop's claim. Plus, as bramfrank states, all OEM parts are used and the contract is good at ANY Chrysler Group dealer, anywhere. Often times the aftermarket warranty companies will specify their own parts rather than OEM or worse, will pay only for a used part! The store I used to work for years ago sold these aftermarket warranties, and often times we had to leave the car on the lift for days, waiting for an adjuster to come to verify our claim. The customer was left with a disabled car at our shop and the contract company would not pay for a rental while you waited for them to authorize payment. This never happens with a Chrysler plan.

I purchased a Lifetime Maximum Care Contract of our Journey even though I work for a dealer and pay cost for parts. These cars have some very expensive electronics in them, not to mention the engine and tranny. I'm still driving my last new car - a 2000 300M with 286,000 miles on it. Our Journey may very well follow suit, especially if it will only cost me $100.00 to put a motor or a tranny in it, not to mention replacement of that nice 8.4" touchscreen which is bound to go bad after a few years. Plus, should anything ever happen to me, my wife will never have to worry about a repair bill exceeding $100.00 for as long as she owns the car. Something to think about.

Normally aftermarket ones I stay away from cause I have heard all kinds of horror stories about how they nitpick things and refuse to honor because of some little issue. This warranty is through Carmax and we have a $50 deductible. I covers everything except normal maintenance iterms. The total cost of the warranty was $1800 for 6 years, 100,000 miles. We had an extended warranty on our first Journey and it paid for itself over the life of the vehicle. We just take the vehicle to them and let them sub it out to a Dodge dealer if required. Free rentals if kept overnight. I've read both good and bad reviews, I realize it's hit or miss with these things. We shall see. Good thing is we have the balance of the 3 year/36000 mile and the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain.

just wondering how much did the extended warr. cost you???

It was $1960 (Canadian).

If they'd offered the lifetime in Canada I'd have bought it - I have a 2000 LHS in the driveway with a blown head gasket that at least leaks the right way (exhaust into coolant), but overheats if driven too far - the cost to fix it isn't justified so lately it has been used by the kids only to go to the mall and such. A shame, since the vehicle is otherwise clean and has less than 100K miles on the clock.

• 2 months later...

I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I believe I paid $3100 USD for mine. Plenty of negociating. Mine has a $100 deductible each time I use the policy. I plan to keep the DJ for many miles, so I will have it if any big things go wrong. I think it will either be a good deal or I'll never need it. Time will tell. . .

Peace.

• 4 months later...

I bought the MAXIMUM CARE -- 7 YEARS/70,000 MILES at

http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

for right around $1,000. that's a HEFTY discount off what the dealer wanted
Zeigler Chrysler/Dodge was the dealer who sold it to me online.

If you use the promo code "GREGH", it gives you an ADDITIONAL $75.00
off the posted prices.

Bob Cline at the dealership can answer all your questions. give him a call
(866) 943-7778

Edited by gregsjourney

just bought a new 14 crossroad and the dealer wanted 2500 for just a liftime powertrain warr. i was looking for the bumper to bumper lifetime and he said chrysler didnt offer it anymore but found a web site www.chryslerwarrantys.com that seems to offer such a policy for around $2391. non transferable saying it was aval. not sure if i want to pay that much as i only kept my 2011 mainstreet 3 yrs with no prob. except a battery and had just replaced the rear pads and put on some used tires. of course wasnt really had planned on getting rid of it but my saledman offered such a great deal on a trade on this crossroad...... just checked they wanted 1097, for the liftime power train warr. so that is a big discount from what the dealer offered.

Edited by 2late4u

MAXIMUM care was

$2,571 on http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/

versus Zeigler's $2,240.

HOWEVER, the lifetime powertrain is only $925 with a ZERO ded. at www.chryslerfactoryplans.com (ZEIGLER)

or $805 with a $100 DED.... (if you used the promo code "GREGH"

Better check around for prices!!!!!

just bought a new 14 crossroad and the dealer wanted 2500 for just a liftime powertrain warr. i was looking for the bumper to bumper lifetime and he said chrysler didnt offer it anymore but found a web site www.chryslerwarrantys.com that seems to offer such a policy for around $2391. non transferable saying it was aval. not sure if i want to pay that much as i only kept my 2011 mainstreet 3 yrs with no prob. except a battery and had just replaced the rear pads and put on some used tires. of course wasnt really had planned on getting rid of it but my saledman offered such a great deal on a trade on this crossroad...... just checked they wanted 1097, for the liftime power train warr. so that is a big discount from what the dealer offered.

Edited by gregsjourney

They definitely still offer the lifetime bumper to bumper, I got it when I bought mine in March.

MAXIMUM care was

versus Zeigler's $2,240.

HOWEVER, the lifetime powertrain is only $925 with a ZERO ded. at www.chryslerfactoryplans.com (ZEIGLER)

the web site i checked was as you said 2571 but thet also have a promo code that dropped it off to 2391 which is still a bit more than your web site. also sonds like you might be getting a kick back since the code gregh or are a sales man for that site but whatever thanks for the info..

MAXIMUM care was

versus Zeigler's $2,240.

versus Zeigler's $2,240.

the web site i checked was as you said 2571 but thet also have a promo code that dropped it off to 2391 which is still a bit more than your web site. also sonds like you might be getting a kick back since the code gregh or are a sales man for that site but whatever thanks for the info.. sorry double click tried to delete.

Edited by 2late4u

WHY is it that when you try to help people out, you automatically get accused of doing something wrong or with an ulterior motive????????????????

(1) NO, I don't work for this dealership of any other dealership.

(2) NO, I'm not a salesman.

(3) NO, I'm not getting any "kickback".

Good lord people, you always comment and think with the worst comments.

Let me preface....... I was a long time F150 owner and Ranger owner. When I went looking for a FORD ESP, I looked at every online dealer there was.

Zeigler Ford at the time has the best price and the best reviews.. There were a few promo's that were publicly available to anyone.

I bought ESP's on both my Ranger and F150. Reading in the forums, there were a lot of people interested in them, so since Zeigler at the time already had the best prices (FORD) I approached the Finance Manager at the dealer (NOTE, I live in TN, not MI), and asked him if he might create a "group buy" for F150 members that were interested in one. that is where the "GREGH" came in. At the time, It ANY forum member an additional $225 off the listed prices. I got this for the forum strictly out of trying to helping hard working people like myself save a few dollars if they were interested in an extended warranty. I needed to transfer my warranty over when I traded F150's, and Bob Cline did that at the dealership, and he didn't charge me the "admin fee". (So if you consider that a "kickback", then so be it).

Furthermore, I didn't create this thread, I just added to it. I can understand that If I had created the thread and start blurting out promo codes, then it might have been different.

I have a Dodge now, The same ZEIGLER people have a Dodge/Chrysler dealership as well, I BOUGHT a Dodge Warranty, and I simply asked Bob at Zeigler if he might do something similar in the Dodge forum. He did, I passed it along to anyone else who wanted.

Here's my thoughts. if you're interested in a Dodge Extended Warranty, buy it anywhere you want. If you want to save a few dollars shop around. If you want to use the "GREG" promo for $75, use it, it you don't want to, then move along. If you don't have anything positive to comment in the thread, then don't read it, don't reply to it, and move on.

I had over 3,000 posts in about 4 years over in the F150 forum. I'm highly insulted that I come over here, try to offer input into the threads, and instantly accused of being the "underhanded" guy trying to make a buck. If you don't like my posts, block me. Not exactly the warm fuzzy feeling I was expecting being a new forum member and new to Dodge.............

don't automatically assume....

the web site i checked was as you said 2571 but thet also have a promo code that dropped it off to 2391 which is still a bit more than your web site. also sonds like you might be getting a kick back since the code gregh or are a sales man for that site.