2014 Journey's brake are massive

TXcajun

So around $2200 for a complete SRT Brembo brake upgrade. On the plus side, brake pad replacement would be super simple.

Here is a picture to drool over:

2012_jeep_grand-cherokee-srt8_det_fe_122

$2,220.00......I think I would invest in the full $20.00 on ebay and get the Brembo plastic covers instead. :)

mFQ--WG59hH1bxLgMGeiuPQ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Frogbox.. sir you have now seriously peeked my curiousity..

Just be ready for the high probability that you may also need new wheels to clear the calipers. I doubt the stock Journey wheels will clear. You will need either some factory SRT wheels, or aftermarket wheels. You could also try spacers to get the clearance.

• 4 weeks later...

Wondering if any early '13 Journey's still had smaller brakes? I'm curious. My 2013, purchased March 31 of this year (left over) shook vigorously right off the bat when breaking at speeds of 50+. I changed the front rotors, and poof, gone. (Or diminished)

Any thoughts?

When cars sit for any length of time, the rotors rust. They are bare metal and with no protection, rust very quicky. My rotors will be rusty after only a day or two in heavy rain. Since your Journey may have sat for a long time in the dealer lot, the area under the brake pad may be worse as water gets trapped and if the rust is bad enough, the rotor can get pitted in that spot. So each time that section of the rotor passes under the pad, the pad grabs it a bit more since it is not as smooth. This constant grabbing in one spot can feel like a severe shudder, similar to warped rotors. Eventually, the spot will wear down and be the same as the rest of the rotor. But since you replaced them already, then just motor on.

Wondering if any early '13 Journey's still had smaller brakes? I'm curious. My 2013, purchased March 31 of this year (left over) shook vigorously right off the bat when breaking at speeds of 50+. I changed the front rotors, and poof, gone. (Or diminished)

Any thoughts?

The difference in brake size is very noticeable just by looking at them... Mine BARELY clear the wheels (by maybe a 1/16"). I have the 17" wheels though. The backs are also very large.

The difference in brake size is very noticeable just by looking at them... Mine BARELY clear the wheels (by maybe a 1/16"). I have the 17" wheels though. The backs are also very large.

Agreed, it's almost scary how close the calipers are to the wheel spokes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give you an update now.. up to over 3k on the vehicle. The brakes seem better however I have definitely changed my braking habits as if I use the brakes alot (stop and go traffic from 60-0) I do notice heat soak. So I just flip over to manual and gear down to assist with the braking. Maybe I am used to german braking and how it stops on a dime but still monitoring it. If I find that it continues, I will definitely return to the stealership and have them look it over. I can look and fix, reseat, replace the brakes myself but why would I.. its under warranty and I shouldn't have too.

I've also looked at possible new pads but as Frogbox mentioned, not much out there since so new..

Side note, as I know the brakes will wear on me.. has anyone ever attempted to swap brakes from one of the SRT models (Cherokee, etc.) to this? I am interested in possibly this as Dodge parts are quite interchangable with little mods and the clearance wont be an issue as I'm running 19s...

Any thoughts?

I'm shocked that your having brake issues as well. Have 4,000 miles on our 14 SXT AWD and haven't had a single issue. I would have it looked at, possible factory defect maybe?

I'm shocked that your having brake issues as well. Have 4,000 miles on our 14 SXT AWD and haven't had a single issue. I would have it looked at, possible factory defect maybe?

Who knows.. i do know that my odometer is creeping up to the 10k mark (9600km / 5965mi) and the brakes do seem to have settled from the initial break in period. I have jammed the brakes a few times (alone, no one around me) from 50-60mph just to test my theory. Brakes are definitely better. Still very interested in Frogbox's upgrade off the older GC SRT8. Question, what are the size rim on the SRT8, 20" or larger? I do know with my 19" there is clearance (going from memory, don't quote me ~1-2") to rim. I wonder if the stockies would still work (for winter rubber).

• 3 weeks later...

When I was car shopping I couldn't help but notice the front dual-piston calipers and larger rotors on my Journey R/T appeared to be similar to the ones on my old 2007 Charger R/T Road & Track. I thought that was interesting, but unsurprising given it was a modern vehicle, and heavy. It seems new cars of all types are getting larger and larger brakes to improve on safety, and given that the Journey is designed from the start to be a family hauler, safety is built in.

As for braking feel, I haven't slammed on the brakes on my '14 R/T yet (just under 3600 miles currently), but the feel isn't really any different from my 02 300M Special, which has smaller 11" rotors with single-piston calipers. We'll see. I don't have a family (bought it for carting the dog and "stuff"), so one of these days I'll look around, whistle nonchalantly, and test the brakes.

We now have over 22,000 miles on the car and the brakes feel exactly as they did when it was new. I'm very impressed. No vibration, no pulling, no fade. My 300M is equipped with the Performance Handling Group which includes stiffer calipers and higher friction pads. They stop the car well but usually by 20K miles there is some noticeable vibration. The Journey's brakes just feel more powerful and are smooth and quiet. I know about the issues they've had in the past (my customers have let me know that in no uncertain terms!) but I think I can say that Dodge has put those issues to rest.

If you want to see if you have a particular brake that is hanging up

I suggest you try some hard stops with "skid control" turned off.

I thought I had one and when I did this sure enough the one I

suspected locked up while three other braked smoothly - it was

a defective rotor that they replaced under warranty.

• 2 months later...

At 38,000 miles I just replaced all the brakes and rotors on my 2012 R/T. From these forums I learned that OEM materials were not up to par. I went to NAPA and got their Ultra Premium Rotors and ceramic pads. Napa's database lists two sizes for front and back. There is a 12 diameter rotor and a 13 inch diameter rotor for each wheel, Unfortunate for me, mine had the smaller 12 inch rotors. Should I assume that Dodge made a mid-year upgrade? I bought my 12 in February of 2012. If I had more time I would have explored the possibility of upgrading to the larger size. What is the diameter of these 2014 rotors??

By the way, I had to replace my tires as well. I went from the Kuhmos to the Pirrelli c7's. My salesman told me that the Kuhmos coming on Dodge vehicles are not up to the same standards as their retail tires. He got this info by calling the Kuhmo rep while trying to help another customer.

You did it right. I went with drilled/slotted rotors from drilledrotors . com. Work fine for the street and have had no issues whatsoever and work better than stock. Calcium/salt on our roads are bad for teh rotors too. Will make the brakes stick to them if vehicle sits quite awhile before driven again. Mine did it last year. On the original rotors you could see where the pads had left an outline where they had sort of 'froze' to them and actually makes a hard spot that adds to braking vibrations. The drilled/slotted rotors are supposed to prevent some of this. I read up on it a lot and there's quite a few opinions out there and the decision I made works fine for me. Simply talked to people who actually used them and not those who are just opinionated. The tires were plus sized to 235 instead of 225/19 and installed top of the line Cooper's. No regrets there either. Really love my Journey- solid, quiet and nice to drive. Don't like the way the tranny hangs onto 6th before downshifting on hills but have not had any other issues like some have. Any occasional thunk or clunk when shifting from reverse to drive but also notice that I've had my foot touch the gas pedal slightly. Electronic throttle may be a little sensitive at times and as long as I keep my foot off it when shifting its fine. Hope you enjoy your Journey.

Also, my local dealer has 5 new 19" Kuhmo's in stock for the last year and a half. Can get them for half price but nope, no way. Not sure why they even made them. Saved a few bucks on the bottom line- doubt it. Price of the new Kuhmo's originally were a lot higher than anything else. Why pay more for a cheap tire??!!! it'd be neat if they made a limited production run of Journey R/T's with the 5.7 hemi!! Hate to see what Fiat may replace it with.

• 5 weeks later...

Since this is my first DJ, I did notice how huge the front calipers are on my Crossroad. The view very prominently through the wheels. Red caliper covers should look awesome, IMHO

Have you seen these installed on a newer DJ? There is very little room between the caliper and wheel on mine. I'm doubting that they would fit in there. May have to just paint them...