2013 Journey – Fuel tank size??

fdavisson

Hello, I have a question… I purchased a 2013 Journey SXT V6 FWD about 2 weeks ago… When I picked it up from the dealer it had a full tank of gas in it. When my gauge was down to about a 1/8 of a tank I wanted to fill up… fully expecting to put at least 18 gallons in the tank and to my surprise the truck only took 14.6 gallons to fill it up. So last night I waited until the gas light came on and immediately stopped for gas… again to my surprise when it took 15.8 gallons to fill up… what gives?? Does this truck only have an 18 gallon tank or something? When I bought the truck it had on the window sticker a line specifically saying “20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank”

I really find it hard to believe that the light is coming on with 5 gallons of gas left in the tank when the computer tells me I have about 50 miles to go before empty… that sounds like 2 gallons to me. I really think they installed an 18 gallon tank when they should have installed the 20.5.

I'm having the same experience with my 2013 Journey. The most I've been able to put in is 59.9 litres or 15.8 gallons. The Journey has a fuel tank capacity of 20.5 gallons or 77.6 litres. I think this might be a common problem. The first time my fuel light went on, the indicator on the Evic showed I had enough fuel for 37 kilometres and I could only put in 59 litres ( which means I had 19 litres or 5 gallons left) in the tank. I asked at the dealer but haven't really got a very good answer, they said I should have about 10 litres when the light comes on. I think the fuel warning system is the problem not the size of the tank. This is cause for concern as we're planning a trip through the U.S. and Canada later this spring and would like a more reliable indication of fuel capacity. Maybe DodgeCares or DodgeCaresCa could get us an answer.

No doubt that the system from DJ to DJ has inaccuracies however remembering

that the fuel pump is located in the tank itself Mopar is probably building in a

safety margin as the fuel is used as a coolant for the pump itself.

If the tank was to run dry no coolant and an overheated pump becomes a liability.

The low fuel light is supposed to come on when the vehicle has less than 50 miles (on mine it is 60 km, or about 40 miles) or so range left - and even if the vehicle sputters to a stop the tank will not be empty - there is always *some* fuel left (keep in mind that running dry is not good for the pump, since it is cooled by the fuel in the tank).

At about 22 mpg, this means slightly more than 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank when the light goes on - so 18 gallons is not unreasonable.

Someone needs to run their 3.6L V6 completely dry - I've heard this question many times and the only way to resolve is to purposely run dry. Since getting our 2012 last June, our most litres to full has been 67.XXX - that's only after pushing the fuel light for 2 or 3 days and running out of nerves. I personally don't want to damage any fuel parts but this is the only way to confirm how much fuel the tank will hold. Any volunteers??? LOL

According to my manual for my 2013 AWD R/T; the fuel capacity is 21 gallons (FWD is only 20.5) and the "Low Fuel Light" is supposed to come on at ~3 gallons left. If I'm getting 21 mpg, that is, of course, 61 miles to empty. I just put fuel in the car today and it was just a hair under the 1/4 level and the EVIC reported that I had 101 miles to empty. I pumped 14.79 gallons. So I had (21-14.79=) 5.21 gallons remaining when I filled up. A quarter of a tank, based on 21 gallons, would be 5.25 gallons. My gauge seems to be fairly accurate and the EVIC is fairly accurate in its "prediction"; I got 21.3 mpg on that tankful and with 5.21 gallons left, I had about 110 miles to empty based on that tank's average, while the EVIC said I had 101 miles to empty. The disparity in the EVIC comes about because it uses "immediate" mpg data to calculate remaining range and I had just come through town with slower traffic and our one stop light which would have had a lower "immediate" mpg value.

All in all, my fuel system seems to be quite accurate... I can't remember the last time I ever had a "Low Fuel" warning come on in a car I've been driving. We live way out in the sticks and if you get down to 3 gallons in most of my area, you'll be walking before you get to a gas station; I usually keep at least 1/2 tank and start to get nervous at 1/4 (that "habit" comes from my usual low mileage vehicles; Hemi Commander won't get to town on a 1/4 tank), so, I doubt if I'll ever see the "light" come on...and based on my numbers, I'll accept the manual's 21 gallon total capacity and the fuel gauge's markings to be pretty reliable (5.25 gallons / quarter) and I'll just go on faith that if I ever do get down to ~3 gallons, I'll see the "light".

I've ran pretty low and have been able to put about 73.5 litres in my tank. I did also keep pumping past the first click of the gas pump trying to round out to an even $$ amount.

I hate that the DTE only shows "Low Fuel" after I drop below 50km, although I did manage to see it in the 30s once but I think that was because I was close to 50 and then drove a little hard dropping the fuel faster than the computer refreshed. Either way I'd rather see a number till the end rather than "Low Fuel", but I guess its a safety design to scare you to the station before its too late.

The fuel gauge and consequently, the low fuel warning light, is very inaccurate in my 2011 Crew, even after a "fix" last fall. I'm convinced this is a common problem in the Journey. More people keep bringing up this issue.

Yesterday I filled up with the gauge below the E. I put 64 litres in. The gas pump actually clicked off just past 60 litres. My tank is 78 litres. When I fill up completely, the gauge does go past the F but it starts dropping very quickly. It will typically go to 7/8ths in less than 50 kms.

My fuel gauge is so inaccurate it is a joke. I'm pretty sure it is worse now than before the fix they applied. The fix was a new fuel pump, I believe.

I've ran pretty low and have been able to put about 73.5 litres in my tank. I did also keep pumping past the first click of the gas pump trying to round out to an even $$ amount.

As I mentioned in another thread, according to the My Fuelly site, the most fuel I have ever put in my car is 76.36 liters (19.37 US gallons 16.79 Imp. gallons) and 5 times I have exceeded 76 liters so 73.5 "may" be a little low but who knows. Hope this info helps you.

Terry

Well i dont think i am going to let my Journey run out of gas... but i still find it hard to belive that they are holding between 4 and 5 gallons in the tank "to keep the pump cool" Sounds like some further investigation to me....

Yes, this does seem to be a common issue. Like drb, I believe my 2011 DJ has an inacurate fuel gauge. I have not had the fix applied for fear that it may make the problem worse. Sounds like drb has had that occur. I suspect that we all have the same issue, but we are all calling it something different. I just hope the problem can be correctly identified so a unified solution can be applied if we do, indeed, have the same issue with our gauges and fuel consumption. I also believe that there is a tank inlet issue that causes the pump to click off before that tank is actually full. That always happens to me and I end up clicking the last 1.5 to 2 US gallons into the tank to get it full. The gauge issue I can live with. The inadequate filler tube is just plain stupid. Dodge should replace these or at least offer us a deal on replacement.

Peace.

So what do gas pumps use in the US, US gallons? Where are Imperial gallons used? Stupid question I know...

As I was always told the only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked. All pumps in the US use US gallons and while we use the metric system 99.9%of the time in Canada, we would use the Imperical system otherwise.

The US gallon is 4/5 of our gallon.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Well I think things are getting settled in... Yesterday I filled up with a little under 1/8 of a tank showing on my gauge... and my DTE showed I had 50 miles to go.... So I filled up and ended up with 16.102 Gallons in my tank... So if I had in 2.5625 (20.5 Gallons /8) gallons to the 16.102 I put in I am at 18.6645... And that is a little less than 2 gallons left... so I think we could all go farther than the 50 miles on the DTE, but I am not going to push that... I will continue to monitor this and report back.

• 3 months later...
Here's my "defective low fuel indicator" anecdote:

I had a coupon for discounted gas - 20-gallon limit.

I wanted to maximize the value, so I drove until the amber gas pump light came on, then continued for several miles after the "DTE" value changed from 30 miles to "Low Fuel". The mileage computer showed I was averaging about 18.4 mpg, so I figured to get at least 18 gallons out of my deal - not even close; the pump shut off at 16.4, and it was very difficult to increment it up to 17.

Something's most certainly off with either the level monitoring system or the tank - but I'm not inclined to risk driving to empty to ascertain what.

I shop a grocery chain in my area that also has "gas rewards", but, they, too, are limited to a max of 20 gallons. When I have a fair number of points built up, I wait until my tank is down to 1/4 full and I head to the fuel pumps with my 5 gallon can for the lawn mowers / generator / farm use and I always get the 20 gallons. Usually (the pump cuts off automatically at 20 gallons) the pump cuts off and when I restart it, at full price, I may get another gallon into the car, but, near as I can tell, my fuel gauge is fairly accurate. Even the calculations on the EVIC are fairly accurate. The EVIC usually indicates that I am getting around 1 mpg (actually about .8 mpg) better than my hand calculated average, but, even that is fairly accurate as those things go. My EVIC is sitting at 24.3 mpg right now (that's for the DJ since purchase in December 2012) and my hand calculations are at 23.8 mpg (10.01L/100km) for the last couple of tanks. Fortunately, I live out in the boonies (middle of a state forest) and town is 17 miles away. Most of my driving is in the 45-55 mph range and "town" consists of two stoplights; not much stop and go for me.

I had a similar issue this weekend on a road trip. I noticed that the gauge did not move very quickly for the first 3/4 of useage. Was averaging close to 25 MPG for most of the trip. The last 1/4 tank seemed to go very quickly, then the light came on. Showed DTE of 50 miles. Within 10 miles it changed to "Low Fuel" Needle would barely move off the "E" mark when engine started. Filled with fuel but only took a little over 15 gallons (I have FWD with 20.5 gal. capacity). After fill up the gauge did not go over the full mark - stayed about a half-needle-width below the F. Currently there are no updates or TSB's for the issue but I'll keep you all posted if something comes up. I will scan the car for codes at work when I have time and will report my findings if I come across anything.

I have had this fuel gauge problem with my 2011 Crew since day 1. There is a separate thread on here about it somewhere. They replaced a part, I can't remember what, based on the advice of DodgeCares, I believe. It actually made the problem worse.

I can drive around for a full day, sometimes 2 days, with the needle below the E and when I go to fill up, I can barely squeeze 65 litres into the tank, which holds 78 litres.

Rarely when I fill up completely does the needle go to the F or past the F. Most times, it will get close to the F but that's it.

After I drive for 30 or 40 kms, the needle then moves to the 7/8ths mark.

Very frustrating and very inaccurate fuel gauge!

I had the TSB fix on my DJ a few months ago (replaced the fuel pump since gas gauge would only go to 7/8 full). Well now I go to just above 7/8 on every fill up. So the TSB didn't solve the problem anyways, just let me add close to another gallon in on each fillup. I'm still missing out on close to 2 gallons I think.

The most I've ever been able to put in the tank is just under 18 gallons...and that was after driving with the gas empty light on for about 10 miles or so.

• 3 years later...

I have owed my 2016 journey for 6 months now.  Bought new.  Am experiencing same issue with fuel tank capacity.  20.5 gallon tank, and even when the light is on, less then 40 miles to go, and below an 1/8 of a tank, I can only get 14.5bgallons of gas in a fill up.  Dealer told me remaining miles & tank gage are just estimates.  When I complained directly to Dodge I was told a couple of gallons could be in the engine.  Which does NOT explain anything about the gas tank.  I've had it back to the garage twice, and they just blow off my concerns.  I'm considering taking it elsewhere for service, a third time, and then filing a lemon law complaint.  This is ridiculous!