2013 R/T Sunroof problem !!!!

biohazard

• Official Dodge Support

Took the Journey into Team Chrysler today (Mississauga, Ont). They did a water check, found the leak and replaced the seal. They also checked that the drain lines were clear.

So far so good...don't see any leaks at all now.

We're new to that dealership, but so far very impressed by there sevice and staff.....

Ianc747,

Good to hear your dealer has found the cause of the leak.

You are definitely in good hands over at Team Chrysler, thanks for keeping us posted!

• Official Dodge Support

I looked in my 2013 manual. No mention of leaks in a car wash. My 2000 300M, whose sunroof has otherwise never leaked either, will occasionally spit a drop of water while in a car wash when the huge blower fan passes right over the roof panel as it blows the water off the car. I would consider that to be OK as it does not represent normal conditions. I have yet to take the Journey through a car wash. I have hand washed it several times since May when we bought it. Does not leak a drop. Your roof panel may simply not be adjusted properly. Diagnosing the problem is not terribly difficult in itself. The only snag your dealer might run into is the ability to water test it in Ontario at this time of year. Hopefully your dealer has an indoor wash bay where it can be tested properly.

Journeyman425,

You're absolutely right, the pressure washers aren't considered normal as rain simply doesn't fall with that force. Most dealers do have bays setup with draining systems to allow for this test.

I'm down in Windsor, ON and this morning was quite frosty, no water testing outside today!

Journeyman425,

You're absolutely right, the pressure washers aren't considered normal as rain simply doesn't fall with that force. Most dealers do have bays setup with draining systems to allow for this test.

I'm down in Windsor, ON and this morning was quite frosty, no water testing outside today!

Although I can see where you guys are coming from, as a consumer I would hope the manufacturer would address this if it were an issue. Although "pressure washers aren't considered the norm ", they should be in Canada with the number of car washes around and season passes offered.

I wash my cars at least every other day throughout the winter and have never had a sunroof/t-roof that leaked in a car wash. I've owned Camaros and Corvettes with T-roofs... VW, Nissan, Mazda, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, 300M, Magnum all with sunroofs and never had a leak. Maybe I'm just lucky :-))

I could see in the first year of manufacture some teething issues that may cause leaks under pressure but in this day and age the manufacturer should be able to solve the problem in following model years. If not, something seemingly as trivial as this can drive customers away.

That being said my Journey leaked with just standing water on it, but seems to be fixed. Although a nuisance it seems to have been handled very well, in my case, by the Dealer.

Simply Googling "Dodge Journey sunroof leaks" leads me to believe there may be an issue, but we can't always believe everything we read on the net :-))

Just my 2 cents...

Although I can see where you guys are coming from, as a consumer I would hope the manufacturer would address this if it were an issue. Although "pressure washers aren't considered the norm ", they should be in Canada with the number of car washes around and season passes offered.

The car washes I have been through don't really spray water under very high pressure. None of my cars with sunroofs (two 300M's, two Mazdas and a Toyota) have ever leaked during the wash process. My current 300M, as I stated earlier, might spit a drop of water inside the car only in the drying cycle, when the blower passes directly over the roof wih its 100 mph wind blowing straight down on the roof. Any car might admit a drop or two of water under that condition and I'm perfectly fine with that, since that is not considered a normal operating conditon. That's all I'm saying and I think our friend Wes @ DodgeCAcares was simply concurring.

It's great to know that your problem has seemingly been resolved and now you can continue to enjoy your new Journey, and look forward to your new 300S as well!

• Official Dodge Support

The car washes I have been through don't really spray water under very high pressure. None of my cars with sunroofs (two 300M's, two Mazdas and a Toyota) have ever leaked during the wash process. My current 300M, as I stated earlier, might spit a drop of water inside the car only in the drying cycle, when the blower passes directly over the roof wih its 100 mph wind blowing straight down on the roof. Any car might admit a drop or two of water under that condition and I'm perfectly fine with that, since that is not considered a normal operating conditon. That's all I'm saying and I think our friend Wes @ DodgeCAcares was simply concurring.

It's great to know that your problem has seemingly been resolved and now you can continue to enjoy your new Journey, and look forward to your new 300S as well!

Journeyman425,

Thanks, that's essentially what I was saying.

I was a proud owner of a 300M also and absolutely loved the car. Went through a lot of car washes and power washed it all the time and never had any leaks at all through the sunroof.

Car was perfect top to bottom for all 380,000 kms. Should have held onto it, likely still be driving it today!

My problem has not been resolved as of yet. I am taking my Dodge Journey into Franklin Dodge this afternoon to replace the sunroof. I am hoping beyond hope that this will resolve my problem. Everyone is talking about car washes, but I have to tell you, my Journey sprayed water on me while driving in rain going down the interstate. The track completely filled up when I ran it thru the car wash. I have owned several vehicles with sunroofs, two of them were a dodge product and none of them leaked water, even in a car wash. I love the Journey and I really don't want to give it up. I am very thankful for all of the information and the support that I have received on this site. It means a lot to me that Chrysler Dodge is standing behind my Journey.

I will update you about my Journey when I get it out of the shop after the new sunroof has been put in. Thanks for all of your support! I truly appreciate you!

• Official Dodge Support

My problem has not been resolved as of yet. I am taking my Dodge Journey into Franklin Dodge this afternoon to replace the sunroof. I am hoping beyond hope that this will resolve my problem. Everyone is talking about car washes, but I have to tell you, my Journey sprayed water on me while driving in rain going down the interstate. The track completely filled up when I ran it thru the car wash. I have owned several vehicles with sunroofs, two of them were a dodge product and none of them leaked water, even in a car wash. I love the Journey and I really don't want to give it up. I am very thankful for all of the information and the support that I have received on this site. It means a lot to me that Chrysler Dodge is standing behind my Journey.

I will update you about my Journey when I get it out of the shop after the new sunroof has been put in. Thanks for all of your support! I truly appreciate you!

Debra,

Thank you for the update.

Sincerely hoping Franklin Dodge will get you back behind the wheel as a happy Customer, literally.

Journeyman425,

Thanks, that's essentially what I was saying.

I was a proud owner of a 300M also and absolutely loved the car. Went through a lot of car washes and power washed it all the time and never had any leaks at all through the sunroof.

Car was perfect top to bottom for all 380,000 kms. Should have held onto it, likely still be driving it today!

Not to go off-topic, but we bought out 2000 300M new and special-ordered it from the factory exactly how we wanted it, just as we did with our Journey. Like you, I still absolutely love this car and it continues to run flawlessly with 286,000 miles on it - with original engine, transmission, etc. I have no plans to sell it or stop driving it. My other 300M is a 1999 which awaits my oldest son's driver license, due (hopefully for him) sometime in the summer of 2014 - in the back lot of my shop. I took that one off the road when we bought the Journey.

I am hoping beyond hope that this will resolve my problem. Everyone is talking about car washes, but I have to tell you, my Journey sprayed water on me while driving in rain going down the interstate.

I recall your earlier posts about water coming in with normal rainfall. This is why I feel confident that your issue will be resolved with the replacement roof assembly. I remember a Pacifica with a stubborn water leak. The right front drain had a crack in it where the drain hose connected to the roof tub. No one could see it until the headliner was removed. Since this car was well out of warranty, we simply repaired the crack in the tub and reinstalled the drain hose. Problem solved.

Member lanc747 was told by his dealer that the manual states they will leak in car washes. That's how we got going on that subject. Can't find that anywhere in my literature; I think that was a line of BS being fed to him. But truthfully, my customers with water leaks don't complaint about car washes, but of leaks after normal rainfall. They should not leak. When they do, we fix them! I'm looking forward to good news from you.

• Official Dodge Support

Not to go off-topic, but we bought out 2000 300M new and special-ordered it from the factory exactly how we wanted it, just as we did with our Journey. Like you, I still absolutely love this car and it continues to run flawlessly with 286,000 miles on it - with original engine, transmission, etc. I have no plans to sell it or stop driving it. My other 300M is a 1999 which awaits my oldest son's driver license, due (hopefully for him) sometime in the summer of 2014 - in the back lot of my shop. I took that one off the road when we bought the Journey.

Journeyman425,

Glad to hear!

Your son is a lucky young man, phenomenal first car!

• 3 weeks later...

I AM SO UPSET! The sunroof has been completely replaced. Please don’t get me wrong Franklin Dodge done a great job and I am very happy with their customer service and the water coming into the drain is a smaller amount, but the roof still continues to leak in a heavy rain and still splashes on you in the car wash. I am still being told that is normal and there is nothing that can be done, that it is doing what it is supposed to do, “drain correctly”. Dodge rep solution is to permanently seal the sunroof. I am very disappointed. I have checked into trading the Journey in for one just like it with no sunroof, but the money different is just too high. I have never been so disappointed in my life with a new vehicle. I wish I had never brought the Journey. I will be trading this vehicle and it will not be another Chrysler product; sad thing is the vehicle becomes somebody else’s problem. Dodge just doesn’t understand, I am highly allergic to mold and mildew, I take shots every week and I am afraid if I keep the Journey it will only make my medical condition worst. Up until this point I loved the dodge products and I was 100% confident that dodge would stand behind their product. I am so sorry to say that I was wrong! By the way, I purchased the life time warranty from dodge when I purchased the Journey, my question is, what good is it? I have wasted and lost a lot of time and money on a brand new vehicle that I am afraid to drive.

Debra - I am, quite frankly, shocked that the problem still exists and that the vehicle has been returned to you unrepaired. Permanently sealing the roof means you lose the use of it which is not what you paid for and is entirely unacceptable.

Please contact Chrysler directly at this number if you have not already:

Chrysler Group LLC Customer Center

P.O. Box 21–8004

Auburn Hills, MI 48321–8004

Phone: (800) 423–6343

I have contacted that number and we have been working with a gentleman named Marvin. Very nice man, no help, no solution! His advise was to seal, but I do thank you for your concern. I wished everyone felt the way you do about the dodge products. Bottom line is I cannot drive this vehicle in a car wash or heavy rain. Small amounts of water splashes inside on the headliner, the small amounts of water will sooner or later turn into mold and mildew. At that point this vehicle is not only a problem vehicle, it's a medical condition that I can so do without. I truly love the journey, but it's not worth the problems that it can create down the road. I guess I'm kind of giving up.. Is there another number to which I might call for help?

This is the only other Customer Assistance number that I have in our dealer database that pertains to your case. Have your case number on hand and give it a shot - nothing left to lose at this point, I am so sorry to say. Do you know if either dealer has contacted their District Service Manager, aka Factory Rep? Is Marvin a supervisor, do you know?

This just kills me. I don't believe that your car cannot be repaired. Please call this number and give a resolution another try (you'll have to do it on Thursday or later; they've all left as of noon today for New Year's):

Chrysler Group LLC Customer Assistance Center (CAC)

800 992-1997

Customer contact number regarding towing assistance, product information and dealer sales/service complaints

I can't believe there are others who have the same problem with their 2013 Journey sunroof. We purchased ours in May and in August we started having problems with water leaking. I checked this site probably in August and there was only one complaint, now I see more. Our Journey has been in and out of the shop at least 6 times since August. They cannot fix it. We have been in contact with Chrysler customer care and they have been in constant contact with our Dodge dealer. The dealer had our car for six weeks the last time. We got the car back on December 20th and we had constant rain on 12/23. My husband checked the car on 12/24 and sure enough the headliner was wet again. We brought it back to the dealer that day and still don't have it back. I do not think its fixable and I too worry about mold on the seats and in the carpet. I am frustrated and disgusted with this car.

I am so sorry to hear that you are going thru the same problems that I am having. I am still so upset over my Journey. I have been to hell and back trying to get my Journey fixed, but so far I have had no luck. Please keep me posted on how your turns out.

To who ever this may concern;

I have to say to you that I am and continue to be so disappointed with my brand new 2013 Dodge Journey RT.

Yesterday and I went to a memorial to a dear close friend that die, I was ashamed to drive my journey into the church parking lot and into the procession where we laid him to rest because of the dirt and salt brine that covered it because I am unable to take the vehicle thru a car wash without getting me splashed and I don’t want to take the chance the vehicle might get wet inside. I thought that the most embarrassing time for me until today. Today, as I picked up a friend and took food to the friends and family, it wasn’t raining very hard so I didn’t expect my friend and the hot food to be splashed on as I drove down the road to delivery it. I again was so sadden to know that my life has been put on hold while Chrysler Dodge decides what they might or might not do to help me. I am also sadden to know that I drive a brand new Dodge vehicle with a full life time warranty on it that I cannot drive in the rain without worrying how much water will come in this time. What is wrong with you? Are you really such a non-carrying company that you not only will not stand behind your product, you don’t even stand behind you own warranty?

I am saddened with pain from my friend that past, but I also have to say these tears are also for the vehicle that I drive. So lost for words at this point!

Thank you!!!

I was told when I purchased the warranty that if a problem could not be fixed that they would replace the vehicle with a new one as long as I owned it. What I have seen is Gary Mathews made the problem worst, created more damage to my vehicle and sad to me, deal with it, it's doing just what it is supposed to do. So I took off work and took the RT to Franklin Dodge, Franklin Dodge was great and they did replace the sunroof with a new one, but the problem has not been corrected. At this point I don't think the problem can be fixed. I feel the only choice I have is to glue the sunroof and hate the RT or just trade it off. Trading it off is really not fair to the person that will buy it next. It's called the trickle-down effect. One unhappy customer turns into two unhappy customers. What I have seen so far is Chrysler took my money and now is saying to me, sorry you will need to glue your sunroof in, but our company will not do this for you, you will need to do this on your own with an independent contractor. I'm still confused, what good is the life time warranty? What would you think if this happened to you?

I really do appreciate you for trying to help! Sad, but all I want is what I paid for, a new vehicle "Dodge Journey" that does not leak!

A VEHICLE THAT I CAN LOVE AND TRUST!

Thank you!!!

I was told when I purchased the warranty that if a problem could not be fixed that they would replace the vehicle with a new one as long as I owned it. What I have seen is Gary Mathews made the problem worst, created more damage to my vehicle and sad to me, deal with it, it's doing just what it is supposed to do. So I took off work and took the RT to Franklin Dodge, Franklin Dodge was great and they did replace the sunroof with a new one, but the problem has not been corrected. At this point I don't think the problem can be fixed. I feel the only choice I have is to glue the sunroof and hate the RT or just trade it off. Trading it off is really not fair to the person that will buy it next. It's called the trickle-down effect. One unhappy customer turns into two unhappy customers. What I have seen so far is Chrysler took my money and now is saying to me, sorry you will need to glue your sunroof in, but our company will not do this for you, you will need to do this on your own with an independent contractor. I'm still confused, what good is the life time warranty? What would you think if this happened to you?

I really do appreciate you for trying to help! Sad, but all I want is what I paid for, a new vehicle "Dodge Journey" that does not leak!

A VEHICLE THAT I CAN LOVE AND TRUST!

I truly hate to hear about your problems. Its an awful feeling when you pay that much for something and not get what you were promised.

I can't help but think that your problem "can" be fixed though. Not all Journeys with sunroofs leak and if they did, they wouldn't put them in. Me personally I don't care for sunroofs because of this, the small margin of error for water to enter is just to much for me, but they should not leak either especially being brand new. I know you don't want to hear it but a 3rd or 4th opinion might be something to consider before giving up. I would run as fast as possible from anyone who tells you it needs to be sealed/glued shut (that's ridiculous). I wouldn't necessarily give up on Chrysler Customer Service either. I have had great luck with them for the small issues I have had when dealers were giving me run around. They actually started getting on my nerves a bit. lol

I hope you don't but if you do decide to get rid of your Journey, then I wouldn't worry to much about it becoming someone else's problem. I have bought, fixed, and sold 2 or 3 vehicles a year as a hobby since I was 16, and you would be surprised how many people sale a car because they think something major is wrong with it, when in fact it turns out to be a simple fix that just took some detailed thought and a little knowledge to figure out. Someone needs to spend time diagnosing and troubleshooting your Journey. Not just throw parts at it hoping for a fix. I only chimed in because I believe this is your case.

I wish you all the best of luck in getting this resolved and I hate to hear about the loss of your friend. Good luck and hang in there!!

Happy to hear that you think that all sunroof don't leak. I was told by the dealership "service manager" after I purchased the RT that they did and that was what the drains were for. I only hope that you are correct in what you are saying. My father worked for GM for 30 years and I have always drove a GM product with a sunroof until now and I have never had any problems with them leaking. I guess I was just lucky but I have learned the hard way to never purchase any vehicle with a sunroof again. You are right, it's not worth the risk. My husband has driven the Chrysler Dodge product for years and has loved them, but he has never had any problems with them. I will agree that Chrysler Dodge has the best looking vehicles. I fell in love with the Dodge Journey RT, so my husband surprised me on our anniversary with it. I was so happy and I loved it until it rained! That is when all of the problems started and the problem has never been corrected. I really feel we have been given the run around from Chrysler Dodge ever since!

Debra,

Why won't Chrysler corp help you? We contacted them after the 4th time the dealer couldn't fix it. They have been wonderful. They would keep me up to date on the progress of my vehicle. The last time it was in the shop 6 weeks, they are reimbursing me a car payment. The sixth time it was in the shop, 4 days after getting it back, they called and told me they would be replacing my vehicle.