2013 R/T Sunroof problem !!!!

biohazard

Who did you contact? Can you help me to find the correct person?

I have contacted everyone that I know to contact with no luck. My only savior so far has been that I keep it inside my garage. My garage has protected it against all of the major water damage. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I am literally afraid to drive it when the weather is calling for rain and if I have to drive it, I always cover the seat where the water spurts out. The Chrysler dealer in Clarksville TN does not have a clue as to how to correct the problem, they just say the vehicle was designed to leak, that is what the drains are for and in order to keep taking it back to Franklin, I have to take a 1/2 day off from work. I don't want to have problems or lose my job over this Journey. I was hoping beyond hope that Chrysler would step up to the plate and help me, but I have not heard anything from Chrysler since my husband contacted them a little over a week ago. The person he talked to agrees I am not being treated very well and then they never call back. Not sure at this point who to contact or what to do next, so confused!

Hmmm...we just bought a 2014 RT - take delivery Thursday. I wasn't much interested in the sunroof but there was one on the lot with a sunroof that was otherwise configured as we would have spec'd so we bought it. Now I am starting to question my decision.

Debra I am really sorry to hear this story and sincerely hope that Chrysler finds a way to make it right. Even if they do it is still unacceptable that you would have to endure this much inconvenience before arriving at a solution.

Strongly recommend that you serve them with a lawyers letter if nothing else works. Nothing like threat of legal action to get a dealership's notice.

Before you take delivery of your Journey, I would highly suggest that you test drive it to the nearest car wash. If it leaks at that point "RUN" refuse to take it before it leaves the car lot. After you drive it off the lot your sales manager will want 7 to 8 thousand dollars to trade for one just like it that don't leak. My Journey had less than 500 miles at that point. I don't care what they tell you, if it leaks in the car wash, it will leak in a heavy rain. The sales manager will then tell you that the leakage is in the design, that's what the drains are for. He then will say just wait until the next rain and we will see if it leaks again. Then when it leaks they will make an appointment with the service department, you don't even want to get me started on that jerk (Clarksville TN Service Manager). Sorry, if it goes that far you are doomed. I have been dealing with trying to get my Journey fixed since Aug 19th 2013 and guess what, the Journey has more problems now than before they started working on it and on top of that, it rained here yesterday and sure enough on my way home I got sprinkles flying into my face. I totally feel helpless!

I am taking off work again and driving 70 miles to the next nearest Dodge Dealer on Thursday of this week to see if they can fix it. This will be the second time that it has been there for sunroof repair. Like I said, I feel totally helpless at this point!

How did you make out today, Debra?

Journeyman,

I must say that you are one good dude!! After working on houses all day I must admit the last thing I want to do is go home and talk houses with other people. You are obviously a caring person and I would like to say "Thank You" for all your dedication to helping people in need. We need more people like you in the auto industry these days.

Sorry to go off topic and sound a little sappy. Just giving praise where praise is due!! :)

Journeyman425, I appreciate you! Chrysler Dodge needs more people like you. Thank you for asking.

I dropped my Journey off yesterday morning. I showed them where the sunroof would not shut properly and where when you closed the sunroof, the gasket would pop up on the outside of the roof panel on the backside. I then showed them the area where I felt most of the water was coming in. You couldn’t miss that, the dirt left a streak of mud going into the drain channel. When the sunroof was worked on the last time, they put the roof up with Commercial Velcro and left it about 1 inch off all away around, so I asked them to correct that problem and yes I know what Commercial Velcro is, I am HVAC certified. You could clearly see this around the rearview mirror. I am totally exhausted with the problems that I have had with this Journey. Is seems every time I leave the Journey for repair, I have more problems when I pick it up. I will be out of town all next week so I pleaded with them to take their time and to please fix these problems. I am scheduled to pick up my Journey on Monday, January 27th. I will continue to update you on this progress. Please wish me luck. This is the sixth or seventh time that my Journey has been in the shop for sunroof leaks and so far the problems continue to get worst.

Sorry, I guess my patients are wearing thin. At one point I really felt these problems could be corrected, but now after more damage was created from the Clarksville TN Dodge Dealer, I’m just not sure!

I am so disgusted!

Thank you Debra and Addicted to Dodge for your kind words. I am passionate about our Journey and 300M and enjoy swapping stories and advice with other good people who feel the same about their cars. I also have easy access to lots of information about our cars that can be beneficial to everyone. Reading stories like yours, Debra, just eats me up because I know that your problem is repairable. To add insult to injury, some of the parties involved in trying to solve your problem have only created additional ones, which really kills me.

You deserve to enjoy your beautiful, brand new Journey. A new car is a big thing for folks like all of us who work hard for what we have. The last thing you should have to deal with is a problem that not only is not in any way normal, but one that affects your health as well. And to have even the slightest hint of indifference directed towards your request for assistance is completely unacceptable.

I look forward to the next update on the 27th!

Edited by Journeyman425

• 2 weeks later...

The update on my Journey is the dealer still has it! I spoke with them on Saturday when I got back into town and was told they didn't really know what the hold up was on fixing the leak, but they would call me when the Journey was ready for pick up. My plan is to contact them again today to see if I can find out more information on what is going on. I will let you know as soon as I find out what is happening. I truly hope one day I can enjoy my Journey. Thank you so much for your concern.

My husband just got a call, my Journey is ready for pick up, so I am leaving work early tomorrow to pick it up.... Can't get there today because the dealership is about 75 to 85 miles away and I have to give a notice to my boss on the job so that I want loose it.... Wish me luck! Calling for rain at the end of the week, so I will update you as to what is happening.

Journeyman,

I'm just curious if you've seen or heard of any issues with any other Chrysler products with sun roofs. I would think if this were an engineering problem it would be reflected across the board. Several other Journey owners don't seem to have problems to this extent.

The biggest culprit at my shop is the 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I should preface that by saying that the GC is, far and away, the biggest seller at my store as well. But...even given that information, proportionally speaking, they leak the most. The problem, 99% of the time is restricted drains.

That baffles me for sure. Most people keep their sunroofs closed unless they are driving. I just don't see how so much material gets down the drains with the roof closed that it causes the drains to clog. Nevertheless, it is a fact. We see it all the time.Most of our complaints center around water dripping in via the grab handles cast into the "A" pillar mouldings on the GC. Some complain of leaks around the rearview mirror/map light area as well. We remedy most of these leaks by simply taking a compressed air blow gun to the front drains and gently blowing them clear. We then pour water down the drains to test that they work, then close the roof and water test the car. Most of the time, that solves the problem. Sometimes, we have to partially drop the headliner to gain acces to the rear drains and clear them. Early GC's had leaks around the front door body cavity behind the weatherstrip at the top of the cavity. During assembly, urethane applied to this area was heat-cured and in the curing process, the urethane produced bubbles which would allow water in. So, some of these cars mimicked sunroof drain leaks by dripping in the aforementioned "A" pillar grab handle area, even though the vehicle was not equipped with a roof.

Next in popularity is the Wrangler equipped with the Freedom Panel roof. Most water leaks stem from the fit between the front door and "A" pillar. A redesigned weatherstrip in that area along with a door adjustment solves that problem. Some Freedom Panels drains have also become clogged; removing the panel, clearing the drain and emptying the residual water is the usual fix.

The Journey is not a very strong seller at my store (although I've helped pitch a few of them since last May :) ) and there has really been only one which leaked as bad a Debra's. With the water running on the car, I sat in the back seat with a flashlight and scanned the perimeter of the roof panel until I could see the water entering. By design, the roof gasket should allow a few drops at a time into the tub, and the tub drains the water in all four corners. What I saw was a steady stream of water entering the driver's side front corner. Her vehicle, as parked in her driveway, had a slant to the right which would cause the water to leak on the passenger side. So, even though the water leaking into the interior was present on the passenger side, the actual leak source was on the driver's side. All we had to to was replace the gasket around the glass roof panel, and adjust the glass accordingly. Cleared the drains with compressed air for good measure and she has been dry for over a year now.

I own two 300M's in addition to the Journey. One is a 1999 and the other a 2000. Both have a sunroof. I factory-ordered the 2000 and it has never been in a collision. We use the roof all the time, and often leave it open in the vented position for hours on end. It has never leaked with the exception of when it goes under the dryer in the car wash. When the huge blower fan passes right over the roof panel, sometimes a drop or two of water spits out under the force from the blower. I accept that as normal as it is not at all representative of normal conditions. I have never used compressed air down the drains on that car, now 13.5 years old and 288,000 miles. I bought the 1999 used in 2008 with 92,000 miles. That car was hit two or three times prior to my purchase. It's had a much tougher life than my 2000, but the roof has never leaked on it since I've owned it either. That car has been sitting at my shop since May when we bought the Journey, and it remains dry inside. I have never cleared the drains on it in the 5.5 years I've owned it as well.

Good thorough answer. I recall seeing a video that showed the process to check for water leaks for the 1963 or 1964 Chrysler Imperial. It was put under a deluge of water for an hour just to make sure that it was leak proof. Of course they didn't have sun roofs, but it shows the lengths car companies went to, to look for trouble spots. Nowadays assembly is measured in seconds instead of minutes and of course parts are not built in house, but supplied from all over the world. I've heard that Fiat is looking at bringing in a lot of outsourced parts back under their roof to better control quality and help eliminate supply problems.

I picked my Journey up late yesterday afternoon. I cannot tell you yet if it leaks, but I can tell you that going down the interstate the roof liner makes all kind of noise. It was very nerve racking. It is calling for rain here Friday and Saturday so I can update you on the leak at that time.

To Journeyman425-You also are saying that by design, the roof gasket should allow a few drops of water at a time into the tub. Why did Chrysler design a product to leak?

I love the Journey and my opinion is that it is the best looking vehicle out there. I love everything about the Journey other than the leaks and/or problems that I have had from it. The problem with my Journey is not in the drain line. The problem is it leaks so badly that the drain line cannot handle the amount of water that is coming in. Not sure if you are talking about me or the other lady with the Journey that leaked (sounds just like my Journey problem) but, I purchased my Journey August 19th, 2013. I have not had my Journey a year. The Journey was an Anniversary present from my husband on that day. I can tell you the Journey has been in the shop every month since August with the service department trying to correct the leaks. The first few months my Journey was taken to Gary Mathews Dodge in Clarksville TN. It was taken there several times, they did not have the knowledge to correct the problem and the service manager would either hide from you or he would send someone else out to you just to say the vehicle is fixed, take it home knowing that he only had accomplished making the problem worst. I will also add Gary Mathews team lied and were very rude. I left there in tears trying to get someone to listen and to help me. After such bad experience with them, I now take the Journey to Franklin Dodge. The Journey has been at Franklin Dodge three times, November, December and in January, but I will give them credit, they listen and they have admitted that the leaks were there and they are trying hard to correct them. I only hope this time when it rains that it doesn’t leak. I know this can be as frustrating to them as to me.

I will update as soon as we get rain.

I did not receive a invoice yesterday while picking up my Journey. The person that in charge of my Journey was out of the office and paperwork had not been completed. I was told the gasket around the sunroof was replaced again and realigned. They also realigned the roof panel. It looks much better!

To Journeyman425-You also are saying that by design, the roof gasket should allow a few drops of water at a time into the tub. Why did Chrysler design a product to leak?

Hi Debra -

A little crash course on sunroof design here: In the closed position, the roof panel is designed to seal out wind and most water. In order for it to be completely water-tight, it would have to seal in such a manner that it could not be opened. The gap between the roof panel and the roof itself is measured in micro-inches, but that can be enough to let a few drops of water past the seal. So, the roof panel rides in a tub assembly. The tub catches those drops and drains them under the car via four drain hoses, one in each corner of the roof. It's not that the car was designed to leak per se. Dripping into the tub is by design. Leaking into the passenger compartment is not.

This type of sunroof design is not proprietary to Chrysler products. I have worked with Volvo, Mazda, Kia, VW, Subaru and Porsche as well as Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge and Jeep. They all used a similar arrangement.

I hope this helps clarify your Journey's design. More importantly, I hope it's repaired!

Thank you for the crash course.

Now here is the update on my Journey. It rained here yesterday, so I drove my Journey down the interstate to see what was going to happen. I am sorry to tell you that now the sunroof in the closed position spits water on the passenger and the driver, and I have a noise in the roof that sounds like 2 Styrofoam cups rubbing together. I GIVE UP! I know the technicians at Franklin Dodge are trying there best to correct this problem and I'm sure this is as frustrating to them and it is to me! I am lost for words and so frustrated! At this point I wish I would have never purchased this Journey!

Debra, time to invoke your state's Lemon Law. They have to buy your car back at full purchase price, or else replace it.

http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Documents/BBBAutoLine/TN-LLsummary.pdf

The only defense might be that they claim the defect is so minor that it does not "substantially impair" the utility of the vehicle, or reduce it's market value. Personally I don't see how that would hold up - who would pay full price for a car that is not water tight in the rain? But just in case, you might like to document the water entering the car in the rain on the interstate - maybe have someone ride with you and video tape it.

Keep your cool and just use the consumer protection laws in your state to force them to make it right. You don't need any more anguish over this - just exercise your rights under the law and get the problem fixed. Forget about working with the dealers anymore - three strikes and they are out, that is the law. You don't owe them anything but Chrysler owes you big time.