2013 R/T Sunroof problem !!!!

biohazard

We recently took possession of a 2013 DJ R/T with the sunroof. When we went through a touchless carwash some water blew by the seal towards the rear of the sunroof. We brushed it up as maybe we had the sunroof popped just a touch. We then went through another carwash the next weekend and the same thing happened. Now it is only a few drops that come in but is this normal ??? we took it in to the dealship and they told us that all 2011 dodge/chrysler products ,not just the DJ, have this issue and will never go away or be fixed. They said that they changed the way the sunroof seals. Now our 2010 didnt have any issues with the sunroof but the change didnt happen till the next model year. I cant believe that a brand new car can have known issues that get pushed aside and that we as customers just need to deal with it. has anyone else had any issues with thier sunroofs leaking during car washes ???

Well, I don't think any sunroof leaks are normal nor should they be allowed to leak over the long term. Water is sneaky and can be doing damage even if you don't see any water inside the vehicle. There are a number of different scenarios that are possible:

1. Does it leak when it rains? The problem may only be in automatic car washes where the water pressure is higher than rain, for instance. It might be ok.

2. Was there a time when it did not leak in the automatic carwash? The dealer could be incorrect, it can be fixed, but doesn't want to fix it.

3. Has it been getting worse? The problem may or may not get worse. The issue with water is that it can go anywhere. Like I said above, even if you don't see it, the water may be doing damage somewhere not visible.

If I was you, it is scenario number 3 that would bother me. I'd involve chrysler customer care and attempt to find another dealer willing to help you with your problem. Maybe they will all tell you the same thing, dunno. I'm sorry you're having this problem, I'd work to either find a dealer to fix it or, if all else fails, get in there and figure out a way to seal it yourself. Leaks suck, and I, personally, would not let it continue if its possible to fix it somehow.

My experience with sunroofs is this. My wife has one on her saturn vue (it doesn't leak yet), but we rarely open it as it is invariably either too hot with the sun blaring down on us or too cold if the ambient temp outside is cold. I'm really not a fan of them. And the possibility of a leak is ever present. I specifically did not get the sunroof on my DJ because of this. Anyway, not trying to rub your nose in it, that's just my opinion. Many folks love their sunroof. Good Luck.

Peace.

I can't speak on the 2013 as we have only had ours for about 3 weeks now but our 2009 SXT that we traded did not leak till we had a plugged drain line. Then it just flooded in when we went through a touchless car wash. I would not let it go. It should not leak! Especially being a new vehicle. I have had several vehicles with factory sunroofs and none of them leaked unless there was a problem. Usually plugged drain line.

well after arguing with the dealship I have been told to just deal with as its a flaw that is known to all sunroofs made after 2011 for chrysler. It only happens when the high pressure jets hits the seal and pushes the seal down alittle. It doesnt happen when it rains or if you pour water on it. Im not done yet but thats the answer i got today...

Mine will leak one or two very small drops going through nearly any Shell Touchless car wash. Never had a leak with Petro or Canadian Tire touchless washes.

It is just a rubber seal after all, and I think the close position of the Shell washer jets is just a little much for one seal to handle.

It has never leaked in rain or during any other natural weather conditions.

The sunroof I had in my 2008 Jeep Patriot always dripped but the drains did their job and kept the inside dry so I was never worried. One thing I did that seemed to help in my opinion was before I would go through a car wash or a major rain storm I would open the sunroof in vent mode and then close it.

I found doing this appeared to make a better seal. This may not work for everyone but it seemed to work for me.

Mine will leak one or two very small drops going through nearly any Shell Touchless car wash. Never had a leak with Petro or Canadian Tire touchless washes.

It is just a rubber seal after all, and I think the close position of the Shell washer jets is just a little much for one seal to handle.

It has never leaked in rain or during any other natural weather conditions.

the shell car washes is when it happens for me too :)... We just went through the same car wash again yesterday and it didnt leak as bad. Like you said its just a drop or two but it startled us the first time as we shouldnt expect any water to enter a new car with a sunroof. I think this is a major flaw in DODGES sunroof design and they need to add a secondary seal behind the first to prevent this problem. Also in talking with the TECHs at my dealership, back in 2011 when they first started getting multiple people complaining of water leaking the original supplier of the sunroofs went out of business because of all the warentee repairs they had to do. But now they are told to tell us that it can happen from time to time under high pressure water situations and is a rare occurence. As long as the roof doesnt leak from water falling on it (rain or pouring or water onto it when closed) then it is considered good and doesnt need to be replaced.

• 7 months later...

I also brought a new 2013 Dodge Journey RT and the sunroof leaks. I have had NO help from sales manager or service manager at all and I have had NO help from the 1-800 customer car line. I was told that they are suppose to leak. So now I have a brand new Journey that I cannot drive in the rain without the passenger getting wet.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I also brought a new 2013 Dodge Journey RT and the sunroof leaks.

Debra

I know this is not what you want to hear, I have had a 2010 DJ with a sunroof since it was new in August 2010. Fortunately I have never had a problem with mine. I would keep "hounding" the dealership and the 1-800 customer car line for a resolution to this. I would also go to another dealer as the car is under warranty, I cannot see Chrysler selling a new car with a sunroof problem. Maybe DodgeCares could chime in on this.

Terry

Terry,

I was told by the Chrysler Dodge dealer that the new vehicles was made to leak. Who new? I would have never brought this Journey if I had known that! I will be trading it, but I will not be buying a Chrysler product ever again. I have learned the hard way they love taking your money but they will not stand behind there product!

Terry,

I was told by the Chrysler Dodge dealer that the new vehicles was made to leak.

I can not believe a car company engineers their cars to fail. There has to be a solution to this. This has certainly put a damper on my faith in Chrysler......... :worship::cry::censored::confused::angry22:

I would like to see DodgeCares to step up to the plate and answer this one.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Terry,

I was told by the Chrysler Dodge dealer that the new vehicles was made to leak. Who new? I would have never brought this Journey if I had known that! I will be trading it, but I will not be buying a Chrysler product ever again. I have learned the hard way they love taking your money but they will not stand behind there product!

I wouldn't put so much faith in what your dealer said. Try another dealership. Some dealers are better than others. As Terry suggested call the customer care number and don't be so quick to take no for an answer.

They said "don't worry all of the water will go into the track on top". BUT they are not riding with me down the interstate when it splashes out onto me. They said it was in the design to do this, but if you would like to have one just like your it will be an additional $7,600.00 dollars. My Dodge Journey is less than 90 days old and has been in the shop several times. They will NOT stand behind me at all. All I heard was I'm so sorry that you are not happy. How do think I feel getting splashed going down the road. I did contact customer care and she listened to the service manager that lied to her also. Custome care line didnot stand behind me either.

Thank you, my only hope is that he can help me... Sad thing I love the Journey but, I know I'm going to have to trade it off before the problem continues to get worst. I just want the sunroof to stop leaking. As a customer, I don't feel I'm asking for much.

The sunroof seal is designed to seal the roof panel from wind and most water. Some water is allowed to drip into the sunroof tub by design. The tub assembly has four drains - one in each corner of the roof. If any of the drains are clogged - a common occurrence in my experience - water will drip into the passenger compartment because it has nowhere else to go.

Diagnosing this problem is not difficult for your dealer to do. Water testing the vehicle is the first step to see where the water is going. I have seen some roof panels allow too much water in, which overtaxes the drains. Replacement of the glass panel seal has repaired that problem in some instances. There is a test for the drains to see if they are draining at the proper rate. Usually clearing them with compressed air cures any clogged drains. Sometimes the drain hoses are not fully seated on the drains themselves. In rare cases, the headliner has to come down to see where the water enters. In all cases, these leaks are repairable. This car is not designed to allow water into it! Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed or completely ignorant.

It frustrates me when dealers throw their hands up in the air and say it cannot be repaired. The customer gets cheated and the company ultimately loses the customer. If you have not done so already, arrange to meet with the service manager (not the service advisor) at your selling dealer. Involve the owner if necessary. Show your documented previous repair attempts. Then, if you are not satisfied, contact Customer Care again and explain what you have done thus far. I know it's frustrating but there is a resolution to your problem. You should not have to be so persistent, but your not getting satisfaction so unfortunately you must continue to pursue your case until somebody steps up to the plate to help you. You have a wonderful vehicle and you deserve to enjoy it. Please keep us posted.

The sunroof seal is designed to seal the roof panel from wind and most water. Some water is allowed to drip into the sunroof tub by design. The tub assembly has four drains - one in each corner of the roof. If any of the drains are clogged - a common occurrence in my experience - water will drip into the passenger compartment because it has nowhere else to go.

Very true and is the owners responsibility to ensure these drains are clear, but as Journeyman said the dealer should show you how.....Debra, please try another dealer and continue with Customer Care (I know it's frustrating) but IMO the Journey is a good car and there should be some resolution.

Terry

• Official Dodge Support

I have sent a message to DodgeCaCares who looks after us Canadians very well to look at this thread and maybe he can do something for you, not saying he can, but worth a try.

Terry

Thank you Windancer,

Please check your private messages.

I received his message. I will be sending him the information that he requested in a little while. Thank you so much! I do appreciate you helping. I have only had the Journey for a couple of months, but I love it. I will cry the day I have to trade it off because of leaks. I don't have the heart to go thru this with another one. I just want a Journey that does not leak, sounds simply, doesn't it? This process has broke my heart. Again THANK YOU!