"$69 Dodge Journey Chip 60 H.P Increase"

I know this gentleman that is heavily into modifying vehicles, so I asked him about this $69 chip. His reply was "The new Penastar engine already has enough power, don't waste your money."

It would be interesting if we did hear from any Dodge Journey owners that have bought one of these chips to inform us if the claims of better gas mileage are true, :confused:

It would be interesting if we did hear from any Dodge Journey owners that have bought one of these chips to inform us if the claims of better gas mileage are true, :confused:

Do you really think if it was that easy, Car companies wouldn't do it themselves?? A fool and his money are soon parted as the saying goes. I can't beleive people still fall for this crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you really think if it was that easy, Car companies wouldn't do it themselves?? A fool and his money are soon parted as the saying goes. I can't beleive people still fall for this crap.

Of course not, but I always like to ask questions to get other peoples opinions. And yes I do agree with you about a fool and his money. I thought the icon at the end would have shown that I was giving my head a shake as a momentary brian fart caused me to even entertaini a thought that something like this might work,

The chips are junk. The only useful electronic engine tuner is a true handheld tuner like a Diablosport Predator. However, those aren't available for the newer Dodge vehicles.

That being said, we know that Dodge has two tunes for the Pentastar, one with significantly higher horsepower. The Journey tune only makes 283 hp and 260 ft lbs torque... however the same Pentastar in the Challengers makes 305 hp and 268 ft lbs torque. Has to be only software - I seriously doubt there are any physical differences between the two engines. Sure wished I could flash my Journey's PCM with the Challenger tune.

Edited by Jay Sixspeedrt

The diesel ones the fiat freemont, (european version of the journey) is sold with. They are made by fiat, not chrysler, but it's not the only manufacturer doing this.

Well I have no idea about the diesels, we can't get them here. But diesel is a whole differnt ballgame than a gas motor. Diesel, add more feul, they make more power , to a point. Not so with gas.

The chips are junk. The only useful electronic engine tuner is a true handheld tuner like a Diablosport Predator. However, those aren't available for the newer Dodge vehicles.

That being said, we know that Dodge has two tunes for the Pentastar, one with significantly higher horsepower. The Journey tune only makes 283 hp and 260 ft lbs torque... however the same Pentastar in the Challengers makes 305 hp and 268 ft lbs torque. Has to be only software - I seriously doubt there are any physical differences between the two engines. Sure wished I could flash my Journey's PCM with the Challenger tune.

Its not just software, differnt intake and exhaust.

Its not just software, differnt intake and exhaust.

and just to back that up,Allpar.com had this mention: "The Challenger SE's 13 horsepower increase over other Pentastar engines is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s. The cam is identical"

So, if you want to get the same HP, try swapping out your air intake :D

Edited by Psyke

• 2 months later...

and just to back that up,Allpar.com had this mention: "The Challenger SE's 13 horsepower increase over otherPentastar engines is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s. The cam is identical"

So, if you want to get the same HP, try swapping out your air intake :D

13 extra horsepower and 8 additional lbs/ft of torque? I doubt you'd ever notice a difference!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Hypertech tune in our 2.7 Avenger and there is a noticeable difference, but only in the low rpms, it is all bid more smooth. This tune is not available for the Pentastar (many are waiting for it).

Any turbo engine is easy to tune, and for that reason the EU Diesel Freemont is easy to adjust. It actually may use less fuel as well after the tune.

This $69 mod is a waste of money, it does not work.

I would first do a re-calibration of the gas pedal (easy to do yourself), and if you want to spend some on better airflow buy a ported throttle body (i have this as well on the Avenger and works very nicely). At last consider to to put a direct mass on the TB, engine runs nicer and picks up better.

On the earlier Dodge Caliber models you could re-calibrate

the gas pedal linearity by placing ignition to RUN but not

start the car,then counting slowly to abt 15 slowly depress

gas pedal to floor then release slowly all the way up.

Turn ignition to off wait abt 10 minutes and restart.

This got rid of any hesitation off the line and seemed to

provide better acceleration.

I tried it on the DJ but it appeared to make no noticeable

change.