Think a K&N/etc is a great idea?

Moparman

Interesting. Of course, this article is only one opinion. I'm sure K&N would challenge the article. I have always had a completely unsubstantiated visceral feeling that the K&N filters were not worth the $$. I have always used paper, and just changed when dirty. Unless I read the article incorrectly, the AC Delco seems like the best filter. Searched the AC Delco site and found no 2011 Dodge Journey filters.

Peace.

IMHO you are better off staying with paper filters. K&N does not filter better nor does it increase fuel mileage (they don't claim to) nor increase horsepower. The factory setup is pretty much the overall best set up for power, filtering and longevity.

my dealership wants about $24 for a filter and havent been able to find a reg filter at the local auto stores for my 2011 mainstreet , so i broke down and bought a k-n filter also. same as destination above said at least after 2 filter changes it will be paid for got mine thur auto anything online for $42. have had one on my 2001 truck with no problems and i already have the cleaner and oil refill left over .so i went with k-n.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used K&N filters in all of my cars since day 1 on my past 6 cars. I have nothing put great experiences out of them. I will argue that they do create more HP and better milage from personal experience and documentation but I am only gaining 1-2 MPG overall. In regards to HP.. any gain less than 5-10 HP you may not feel unless you beat your car to death or run it at the track. More flow will equate to more HP and better milage. Some tend to drive their cars harder with a K&N because generally anyone who consider K&N's are more spirited drivers so you just arent going to get better milage because of your driving habits. I will get K&N over and over and over again.

in regards to AEM dryflow. I have only heard good things about those and allot of people have a strong preference since you do not have to oil/ reoil your filter. some people will complain that their K&N ruined their mass air flow sensor but that is probably because they over oiled it. done properly you shouldnt have an issue.

Anybody can tell something about the

AEM Dryflow Air Filters?

Is in the Horse Power Freaks site available for the Pentastar Journeys

Tks

I would check out chargerforums.com for pentastar stuff. There are a few guys who mod out their chargers and if they can get a tune for their pentastar maybe we can get a tune for ours. I'd love to just be able to tune up to the 292 in the charger or the 305 the challangers they are pushing out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have nothing but great experiences out of them. I will argue that they do create more HP and better milage from personal experience and documentation but I am only gaining 1-2 MPG overall. In regards to HP.. any gain less than 5-10 HP you may not feel unless you beat your car to death or run it at the track. More flow will equate to more HP and better milage. Some tend to drive their cars harder with a K&N because generally anyone who consider K&N's are more spirited drivers so you just arent going to get better milage because of your driving habits. I will get K&N over and over and over again. Some people will complain that their K&N ruined their mass air flow sensor but that is probably because they over oiled it. Done properly you shouldnt have an issue.

Agree 100%. I currently run a K&N drop in. Pays for itself within a year. It was the first thing I did when we got our 2012 SXT in June. As soon as a K&N CAI becomes available - I will be going in that direction. Everything said above is the truth. Period.

You guys that think you are getting a mileage gain are funny. Immmmmmpossible. But whatever makes ya happy :-)

Dude... I am not going to get into a pissing match with anyone because you are entitled to your own opinion but I can assure you I am getting better milage with the K&N. Its not crazygreat. Like I said 1-2 mpg. My G8 is a strict commuter. Same drive every day M-F. It gets 17/25 and I went from 20 mpg average to 21.5. Its dead 21.5 every time now with 50/50 city highway. You cannot tell me I am not getting better milage. but if you feel happy saying I dont. it doesnt bother me any. Like I said you are entitled to your own opinion. Peace.

I'm no mechanic, but as I said above, I think K&N filters are probably not effective. My opinion. I think they very likely only treat the driver and do nothing for the car. If Chrysler could gain 1-2 MPG and increase HP by doing nothing other than copying K&N, they would do it, and this discussion would never occur anywhere. Placebo affect is strong. I am partial to objective measurements rather than anecdotal recommendations. That's why I use paper filters and change when necessary.

Peace.

I've put K&N filters in my vehicules forever - the reason I put a filter in is strictly $. For the 3.5, a K&N is just a tad bit over the price of the regular paper filters. With that in mind, why not ?

The extra hp (1-3hp ?), if any, would not be substantial enough to be noticeable, really. And once the air going in that engine gets hot enough, you're back to square one.

When I want hp gain I buy a CAI, period. For hp gain, the CAI's desing and location does more for your hp than the actual filter you'll stick on it.

You can't expect hp gains if you're using the restrictive oem airboxe, regadless how good your filter is.

I'm no mechanic, but as I said above, I think K&N filters are probably not effective. My opinion. I think they very likely only treat the driver and do nothing for the car. If Chrysler could gain 1-2 MPG and increase HP by doing nothing other than copying K&N, they would do it, and this discussion would never occur anywhere. Placebo affect is strong. I am partial to objective measurements rather than anecdotal recommendations. That's why I use paper filters and change when necessary.

Peace.

Now theres a guy who knows what he's talking about. "treat the driver" love it ! And so true.

If Chrysler could gain 1-2 MPG and increase HP by doing nothing other than copying K&N, they would do it,

K&N holds a patent to that design. Chrysler can't just go around "copying" patented designs from other companyies.

That aside, I have no clue to weather or not it works as advertised. But even if it did, The price Chrysler charges us, end users, is no where near what Chrysler is paying for it.

The price K&N would charge Chrysler is likely 2-3 times the paper filter. If they can save 1$ per car, you do the math. That's the reason Chrysler doesn't use it.

I am going to stand ground on my previous post. The calculator and fuel consumption doesnt lie... Anyways for you non believers I think its safe to assume that we can agree that even if the filter produces 0 HP and no milage improvment the K&N saves you money in the long haul. Its a one and done filter. a $40 investment ($50 for the reoiling kit) will last the life of your car unless you drive over a million miles. with an OEM paper filter you are replaceing that puppy every year. But I pay for my K&N in milage savings. You guys can pay for yours though the many filters you do not needs to buy. regardless its cheaper to go K&N. many arguments many different points of view but one simple answer. However you want to twist it the K&N will save you money...

I am going to stand ground on my previous post. The calculator and fuel consumption doesnt lie... Anyways for you non believers I think its safe to assume that we can agree that even if the filter produces 0 HP and no milage improvment the K&N saves you money in the long haul. Its a one and done filter. a $40 investment ($50 for the reoiling kit) will last the life of your car unless you drive over a million miles. with an OEM paper filter you are replaceing that puppy every year. But I pay for my K&N in milage savings. You guys can pay for yours though the many filters you do not needs to buy. regardless its cheaper to go K&N. many arguments many different points of view but one simple answer. However you want to twist it the K&N will save you money...

It doesn't save you money by letting dirt past, and causing accelerated engine wear. Used to use them, won't anymore, after seeing the issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Not saying your fuel mileage didn't increase, but until you can prove the K&N is entirely responsible for the increase, it's a false claim. You'd have to be able to isolate the K&N as the direct cause and until you do, it could be anything that helped the fuel mileage.

I found driving conservatively pays more in the long run than any product.

• 1 month later...

I Can say one thing. I Bought a 2009 Journey SXT 3.5L AWD back in July. I Have already had the problems most talk about. I was sick to my stomach in the beginning after reading all the probs. people had. Most things were covered under the warranty luckily, but gas mileage was the pitts. only 14 mpg. I replaced all plugs, added a Spectre Air filter and drilled about 20 5/8th inch holes in filter box and snorkle. Spectre filter was the same as a K&N but cost half as much. Sound of the engine improved with increase of air flow and hwy mpg actually increased to 22mpg driving at 80 mph. not too bad. If you are interested in Spectre brand you have to cross reference the Journey with the Avenger. They use the same filter but Spectre has not put that in writing yet. Filter was a perfect fit. I Think when they realize this the price will increase significantly when journey owners start buying the filter at the cost of under $20. I am also Thinking about adding the Hypertech Programmer to see if it will improve the gas mileage and performance.

• 2 weeks later...

and hwy mpg actually increased to 22mpg driving at 80 mph. not too bad.

And just by slowing to 65-70 mph you'll increase your fuel mileage by 4 mpg. At 70 mph with the AC on I average 26 mpg with my 2010 Journey SXT 3.5L - no mods needed. Best and cheapest mod for fuel mileage is your right foot. Besides - outside of one particular hwy in TX I don't know where it's legal to do 80 mph.

I dont' know where everybody is getting regular paper filters but last I checked they were only $7.99 at Advance.

• 2 years later...