These Keys AKA transponders SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

funegirl

I cannot believe this nightmare. My first transponder broke after just over a year ok I had 2, so I accidently washed the second one, yeah I am pissed but that is where the nightamre begins. I call my dealer $250.00 FOR A CAR KEY!!!!!!!!!!!! So it gets better, I tell the parts man that I dont have a key to get the vehicle to the dealer so he says you will have to tow it, WTF tow my car to get a KKKKEEEEEYYYYY!!!!!!! So i call AAA about towing it uhhhh no because we cannot get the car out of park ###%%%***&&&&, so now i have to drive 20 miles to the dealer where he can sell me a key that will ONLY open the car and turn to accessory, THEN I have to call AAA to tow it to the delaer for a KEY!!!! and then bend over so the dealer can charge me $250 FOR A KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will NEVER own another vehicle, that a key is as much as a payment. Would have ben nice if the dealer had told me this when I was buying it, but oh no that would kill the sale to anyone with a brain in their head, and NO I didnt ask because honestly who would think something so dumbass could be developed by american engineers. YES I can get replacement keys cheaper online so here is the kicker you have to ahve 2 keys from the delaer to program replacement keys, so yeah $500.00 dollars later just to be able to make a spare key. What happens if you are on the road and don't have 2 keys on you yep you guessed it MORE towing, not to mention they have literally made the battery impossible to remove you have to break the transponder to replace the battery then guess what when you get the new battery in YEP the transponder doesnt work OMG its an endless nightmare.Dont even get me started on the valet eys which are just a worthless piece of ##%%%&&&&. Pay this sucker off and get a Japanese vehicle cause Pokeman knows how to make a $5.00 key!!!!!!!!!!

Well that's quite the experience,key duplication is a pain in the butt.

All the Chrylser automatics have a manual release to get the car out

of park,if you have the owners manual it usually describes the process

or the dumbass AAA guy or dealer should know how.

You didn't say what year your DJ is so not sure about the keyfob battery

I know the 2011 model just pops apart for easy replacement.

Afraid the keyless start is even going to follow on most new models

unless it's a specified option.

Good luck!

As bigtsr said, get used to this. More and more cars are going to have this style fob with push button start and before long, they will all be like that. Many "normal" keys these days even have chips in them (to aid in reducing vehicle thefts), so you cannot just get them duplicated anywhere.

I cannot believe this nightmare. My first transponder broke after just over a year ok I had 2, so I accidently washed the second one, yeah I am pissed but that is where the nightamre begins. I call my dealer $250.00 FOR A CAR KEY!!!!!!!!!!!! So it gets better, I tell the parts man that I dont have a key to get the vehicle to the dealer so he says you will have to tow it, WTF tow my car to get a KKKKEEEEEYYYYY!!!!!!! So i call AAA about towing it uhhhh no because we cannot get the car out of park ###%%%***&&&&, so now i have to drive 20 miles to the dealer where he can sell me a key that will ONLY open the car and turn to accessory, THEN I have to call AAA to tow it to the delaer for a KEY!!!! and then bend over so the dealer can charge me $250 FOR A KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will NEVER own another vehicle, that a key is as much as a payment. Would have ben nice if the dealer had told me this when I was buying it, but oh no that would kill the sale to anyone with a brain in their head, and NO I didnt ask because honestly who would think something so dumbass could be developed by american engineers. YES I can get replacement keys cheaper online so here is the kicker you have to ahve 2 keys from the delaer to program replacement keys, so yeah $500.00 dollars later just to be able to make a spare key. What happens if you are on the road and don't have 2 keys on you yep you guessed it MORE towing, not to mention they have literally made the battery impossible to remove you have to break the transponder to replace the battery then guess what when you get the new battery in YEP the transponder doesnt work OMG its an endless nightmare.Dont even get me started on the valet eys which are just a worthless piece of ##%%%&&&&. Pay this sucker off and get a Japanese vehicle cause Pokeman knows how to make a $5.00 key!!!!!!!!!!

This story reminds me of the guy who drives around on his spare because those dumbass tire stores want $200 for just one tire. That same dumbass is then completely surprised when he has another flat and is stranded without a spare. OMG!

When you get your new car designed by Pokeman, please, for your own sake, read the manual and check your pockets before doing laundry. Chapstick makes a real mess in the dryer.

Peace.

so I accidently washed the second one,

With all due respect you have to realize we live in an era of electronics. Unfortunately these electronics are somewhat fragile, I am sorry to hear that your FOB went through the wash, but would you be critcizing Samsung if you did the same thing to your cell phone or Nikon if your P&S digital camera went through the wash? As several people have pointed out to you, we are all ultimately responsible for our own actions. Unfortunately it is a very expensive lesson probably one you won't repeat any time soon.

I really don't think venting towards Chrysler or other car makers for "inferior" or expensive parts will solve anything. Just my thoughts.......YMMV

Terry

I also point out that there is the lockout key concealed in the fob. Get that copied and keep it safe. It is for entry on the driver door only if the battery goes dead on the fob, or the car. Both will let you get inside so you can pop open the hood for charging. I belive that the transponder is passive and just needs to be recognized as the right key to start. The fob can be dead but still drive. The remote entry system is what needs the powered fob.

It could be a Canadian engineer who thought about the dead battery situation.

The expensive key replacement problem has been going on for some time now. I wanted a spare just unlock the doors on my 08 PT Cruiser so I got a $5.00 one that would open the doors. I want to get one for my Journey now just in case the odd situation should arise. Hopefully I never leave my FOB in my dirty pants pocket......

In my opinion there is a bigger issue that salespeople/manufacturers have with these new vehicles. It is these ridiculously sized tires/wheels that they put on vehicles that cost a fortune to replace when they wear out. Other than the looks, they do not seem to benefit anything. I've been selling tires for about 20 years now and it gets worse all the time. The worst part is telling a customer how much they are when they have NO CLUE as to what they are in for. Why does a small "cross-over", "utility", "station wagon" have to have a 225/55/19 tire on it? And do the salespeople warn a customer that they will be spending about a thousand bucks every 18months for tires? Of course not; they need to sell cars.

Sorry I got off the key FOB subject here, but the tire thing really twists me.

Edited by Jod

Every 18 months?

Come on here?

When you buy a full size pick-up/SUV...Do the sales -person tell you it cost $150.00 to fill up at the gas station also?

When you buy a Mini-cooper Does the salesmen tell you there no room for your Great dane?

People just need to do there homework first........

.......caper........

Yeah, they DONT do their homework on how much replacement tires cost, how much a lost key costs to replace, if their vehicle requires synthetic engine oil, and on and on.... 80% of the people don't do their homework. They just look at all the "bells and whistles". That was my point in the first place.

Well first of all thank you ALL for your constructive criticism, I am definitely NOT a dumbass, but I guess being human and forgetting something is in your pocket makes you one, next time your walking on water let me know I would like to see it. My smart key did dry out thank you and worked, so that was a lesson learned, and I have since ordered 2 spares and programmed them myself, not to bad for a dumbass huh. My main argument is the dealer does have a resoonsibility to let the consumer make and "informed" decision before purchasing, if they know the costs is beyond "reaonsable expectations", and I agree about the tires, had I known about the 19 inch wheels and only one manufacturer before purchasing it would have been nice. I sell houses and if I know something is wrong and beyond "reasonable expectations" yes I do have a legal and ethical obligation to inform the consumer and I do ALWAYS, if I tell someone that the water heater leaks, they may still want the home but they make an informed decision. What about the people living check to check that do not have $250 for one key let alone 2!! My biggest argument is disclosure and yes I feel the dealer ALL dealers have an obligation to inform consumers before purchasing of items which could cause excessive inconvenience, its our right as consumers to have knowledge. No he didnt have to tell me when I purchased the vehicle that it would cost $150 to fill it up, fuel prices consistently fluctuate, and if I know the fuel tank size I can do math, even dumbass math. The cost of fuel is out of the dealers realm of knowledge, but the cost of replacement for parts is within their scope of knowledge. But I am just a whiney dumbass Californian with 2 BAs and a Masters so what would I know.

You seriously think that every time a dealer sells a car, they should tell the purchaser the cost of items like a replacement key fob or other parts??? Wow.

It is up to YOU to be an informed consumer BEFORE making a major purchase like a car. I would think that somebody with 2 BAs and a Masters would know that but what do I know?