These Keys AKA transponders SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

funegirl

Yes I SERIOUSLY do, when the replacement is not within reasonable costs, but $250 is by no stretch reasonable. I happen to be very informed and perhaps because I actually have a career, family and life I seriously have many things to do before I can sit down and spend days even weeks, researching which vehicle has the most reasonable costs for replacement keys/fobs/ transponders. BUT we have sunshine in California not like ON so we actually venture out of our homes and off our computers. I believe that anyone in a position of dealing with the publics trust, has a moral if not legal obligation to respect that trust and disclose items which the average consumer would probably not know. On that thought HONESTLY how many people who read this actually asked, were told, or knew beforehand the replacement cost of these transponders, that would be interesting to know.

Well I for one asked the question about replacement prices as soon as I laid eyes on the key because I had never seen a car key like it anywhere else and was immediately informed by the salesman replacement costs for a new key, He then went on to explain that as long as I had 1 working key they could program another however if I lost both that it would require towing the vehicle back to the dealer for a new key to be programmed... I also asked about average costs of transmission repairs, and engine maintence costs which he gladly checked on and informed me of. These are important questions and should be asked by any consumer... This is also a very direct line of questions which help the average consumer in making a decision to pruchase an extended warranty or not... And by the way I am a High School Educated Hill Billy From TEXAS...

Yes I SERIOUSLY do, when the replacement is not within reasonable costs, but $250 is by no stretch reasonable. I happen to be very informed and perhaps because I actually have a career, family and life I seriously have many things to do before I can sit down and spend days even weeks, researching which vehicle has the most reasonable costs for replacement keys/fobs/ transponders. BUT we have sunshine in California not like ON so we actually venture out of our homes and off our computers. I believe that anyone in a position of dealing with the publics trust, has a moral if not legal obligation to respect that trust and disclose items which the average consumer would probably not know. On that thought HONESTLY how many people who read this actually asked, were told, or knew beforehand the replacement cost of these transponders, that would be interesting to know.

It all comes down to people taking responsibility to be informed consumers. That, you did not do. There is no way I would make a large purchase like a car without doing a lot of research to know exactly what I was getting myself into.

I would also suggest you keep the smart-ass comments to yourself. You know NOTHING about me, where I live or what I do.

I'm tired of dealing with you, so I'm done with this thread.

First, I'd like to say that education and intelligence are mutually exclusive. Second, I lived in Cali for many years and I finally couldn't stand it any longer. I've seen the type a million times. . . Californicated nut jobs. Haters. California elitists. Sell the Journey. Get a Range Rover. I'm sure they don't have sucky transponders. Your neighbors will think you're awesome with a Rover parked in the driveway.

In my previous post, I wasn't calling anyone a dumbass, specifically. The original story simply reminded me of the situation that I relayed. Lack of forethought often results in unsavory future outcomes. Think now, reap the benefits later. That is the takeaway here. Oh yeah, and be careful with your chapstick, of course. :hysterical:

Peace.

BUT we have sunshine in California not like ON so we actually venture out of our homes and off our computers.

For your info, I live just north of the Sun Shine capital of North America so please don't say we don't say we don't know what sunshine is. As drb227 pointed out, I rather doubt without the aid of Google maps, you even know where he lives.

He makes a very good point about being an informed consumer.

Terry

"But I am just a whiney dumbass Californian with 2 BAs and a Masters so what would I know"

and you sell houses for a living?? ...humm....

So a car salesman is also supposed to work in the parts department and INFORM YOU THE BUYER HOW MUCH EVER PART IS ON THE CAR TO REPLACE IF, IF IT IS LOST OR DESTROYED?

Give me a break...Did you even know there is a hidden key in the key fob? DID YOU EVER,EVER READ THE OWNERS MANUAL??

DID YOU EVER,EVER READ THE OWNERS MANUAL??

The sad thing is 80% of car owners never open the owner's manual and actually READ it. It's the first thing I do once I get the vehicle home. I sit in the vehicle while I go through the owner's manual and familiarize myself with everything. Though I haven't done this, it's a good idea to highlight the options your vehicle does have as you go though the manual.

As to the keys - it's just common sense to not wash a battery operated key fob though I know "things do happen". As an alternative, there are online retailers where replacement fobs can be purchased for far less than the dealer. My wife bought an extra key fob (she was always misplacing hers.....) for about $55 and we programmed it ourselves (you can do that as long as you have all the keys programmed to the vehicle - if you're missing even one, then the dealer has to do it).

Don't complain too much about the cost - my co-worker has a Pontiac G8 which is manufactured in Australia by Holden. He was informed by the salesman to not lose his keys - $500 to replace.

But I am just a whiney dumbass Californian with 2 BAs and a Masters so what would I know.

Firstly, it is great to have at least one lively thread on this otherwise dull forum! ^_^ Sorry to hear that about your keys, and your shock regarding the replacement cost. Since I have been driving an MB ML320 for the last 12 years living in Europe, I also had the experience of having to buy a replacement key, having the car recoded after they stole my wifes purse, etc. etc. Is $250 excessive by todays standard? Not really, it is just the average price of a transponder key. Period. Also, you get what you ask for. If you start a post in all CAPS railing against the car that this site is primarily about, it is obvious that you will rile a few feathers and raise someones testosterone levels. All in good humour hopefully.

PS- The mother of my best friend in high school accidently washed his pet ferret who snuck into the dishwasher! Somethings money cannot replace.

Edited by SteveMorang_4609

You are right, this forum is boring!!! I also had a friend who's mother was putting clothes in a dryer, the family cat decided to hop in and check things out while she wasn't looking. She closed the door, hit the start button and ran upstairs..... No more kitty.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe that a washed key should still work. Maybe not remote unlock, but as the manual states. If your key battery dies, you place your key right up to the starter button and it should work.

Washing it should only short the battery. The actual RFID transponder is sealed. It doesn't need power, the car just needs to sense it.

Another thing, back in 2001, I had a 96 Buick riviera that the dealer wanted 150$ for replacement and programmed key. That was the GM pass 3 key. So in 2012, I'm not starstruck to see the journey has a 250$ key.

Back in 2004, I also had a 01 Acura CL - S. key was 180$ programmed at the dealer.

Point is.. Keys are expensive and have been ever since the late 90s even from the land Godzilla. Unless you count cheap civics, or Aveos..

Even a 2004 Nissan sentra has an immobilizer key.! And those were just the key, not including the remote control fob.

I was bathing the other day when I realized I had the key in my pocket! Luckily it seems it's watertight: I opened it immediately to remove the battery but I found it was completely dry and it worked flawlessly afterwards.

I still find outrageous the price of a replacement fob: you can buy a smartphone or a netbook or a couple of tablets for the same price. Looking at what's inside it should cost them no more than $5-$10 to manufacture.

• 7 months later...

I am having key fob issues as well. I bought my journey used. I have not damaged mine but one is not working (maybe battery) and the other is slowly starting to give me issues with working and is doing wacky things (i.e. flashing the lights, locking or unlocking or rolling the windows down when I have not even touched the key). I am thining I will either need to replace the batteries or maybe the whole thing. My Journey is a 2009 SXT. I see that you can buy "new" keys (like fob and all) online for less than $100 as long as you match with the right p/n. Was programming them really that easy? If so, I may consider doing it myself. I'd rather do that than pay the $300 it will cost to do it all at the dealer. Also, the manual says that I will need a 4 digit code for a dealer to do it for me. I bought mine used. I have no such code. Is that accurate? Finally, as a word of advice. Don't make metal copies of the key for the drivers side door thinking that will work in case of an emergency. Yes, you can unlock the door with it but if you locked the doors via the "lock" button on the door of with the FOB the alarm will go off and the only way to turn it off is by placing a "whole" key (elecrtical portion and all) into the ignition and starting the vehicle or by pressing unlock on a working FOB. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

But I am just a whiney dumbass Californian with 2 BAs and a Masters so what would I know.

Your words not mine....... :headspin: ,

Sorry to all of you to reply to an old thread, but someone else did so once again I will reply. So let me get this straight in my mind, so I fully understand all the technicalities and intricacies of it, because you have 3 degrees you are so much smarter than the rest of us here, yet you not only washed not one, but two key fobs? Just curious........ :confused:

In case you're like Sheldon Cooper from the "BIG Bang Theory" and don't understand it, this is sarcasm....... :confused: ..

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I am having key fob issues as well. I bought my journey used. I have not damaged mine but one is not working (maybe battery). Any advice would be greatly appreciatted.

I am sorry to hear you are having some problems, personally the battery is the first thing I would look at. On a personal note please make sure you install the new battery right side up. :shades: I replaced both batteries in both FOBs at the same time and unfortunately installed both of them upside down, so nothing worked but then again But I am just a whiney dumbass Canadian. :shrug:

Good thing I can laugh at myself.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Terry, did you find it pretty easy to replace the batteries? Aside from putting them in the first time that is. :dreamy: I am a single female that gets pretty intimidated with that kind of thing. Were there any markings on the batteries to help with not putting them in upside down? Also, where did you find the correct battery?

On a side note, I appreciate that you can laugh at yourself. I'm pretty good at that too! :shades:

Terry, did you find it pretty easy to replace the batteries? Aside from putting them in the first time that is. :dreamy: I am a single female that gets pretty intimidated with that kind of thing. Were there any markings on the batteries to help with not putting them in upside down? Also, where did you find the correct battery?

It was very easy to replace the batteries, in fact I just looked at my FOB as we speak. It is fairly easy to separate the 2 halves, easier still if you remove the valet key. It is a CR2032 battery and I happened to get it at my local Best Buy but I am positive you could get it just about anywhere. It is a flat "button" type battery that you install with the writing down. Hope this helps.....

Terry

It was very easy to replace the batteries, in fact I just looked at my FOB as we speak. It is fairly easy to separate the 2 halves, easier still if you remove the valet key. It is a CR2032 battery and I happened to get it at my local Best Buy but I am positive you could get it just about anywhere. It is a flat "button" type battery that you install with the writing down. Hope this helps.....

Terry

Or you can do what I did, go to a place like Batteries Plus and they charged me less than $3 and they installed it for me.

Or you can do what I did, go to a place like Batteries Plus and they charged me less than $3 and they installed it for me.

Another option... thanks. This may be a good option for Vedasmom if she is worried about not being able to do it.

Terry

• 1 month later...

My wife washed key for our Magnum a couple years ago. She felt awful because we also had to have the vehicle towed, on a flat bed, but stuff happens. It was my fault for leaving the key in my pockets. I had said from the day we bought that car that I needed to get a second set of keys made for it, and never did. 350 dollars later, we had a new transponder key, a valet key, and we're pretty careful with our keys now.

• 1 year later...

I'm new to this Forum, and do not know how to post a New topic/problem... but yes, the famous Remote+Bud(transponder) a pain...

We bought the LoJack with remote alert, so now my Remote has a "Bud" attached to it (like another testicle).

Without it, I get a text alert about my car being moved without the Bud. Well I drove it. OK, good that it works.

My wife liked this 2013 Dodge Journey Crew. It has a lot of new handy features.

WELL there is this OTHER button besides the Panic button that looks like an @ with x2 within the circle. Never see a need for it (Los Angeles). No clue.

Last week I take some heavy items to work... and 9hrs later I come to my car, AND IT IS RUNNING !!! WHAT THE F....?? Who tripped it off??? How??? Tank is down 1/2 gas !!

I thought back to the morning... put my keys in my pocket; carried heavy box to work... it must have pressed my remote (too far away to notice my horn, with other cars zipping by). Told my wife. She was surprised. She mentioned that the sales guy bragged about the Remote start feature. I did not see him double press that button. For dark parking lots...OK.

Yesterday, I get an Engine Light ON !!! WHAT ?!? Car is 10 mos old ! Got my Code reader out, and it said P0151 (O2 sensor low voltage)... GREAT 9 hours of low idle must have affected the O2 sensor. Now I have to take it to Service ! Cause of that STUPID EXTRA BUTTON I never use.

Well, if I cannot DeActivate it from the SetUp menues on the console... I will just have to pry the key pod open and place a Tape between the contacts (unless it is a Blister type contact)... then I will have to file down the plastic nipple on its housing. WHAT A DRAG !!