those with fuel level issues

b1pig

Reading this topic is like beating a dead horse, no matter how much you beat him he is still dead and he isnt going no more. Give it up guys full means full ,whether you can add anthother .5 to 1 gal is NOT a big deal, also running your tank as low as you can get it is also bad for your fuel pump, just like over filling it is bad for the evap. system, so when it clicks off stop trying to get more in and be happy, life is to short to sweat the little things in life. Any ways Merry Chrismas and a happy New year to all.....

2late4you is absolutely right. I gave up worrying about it after my road trip this year. Not as big an issue in the winter anyway as I don't let my tank get below 1/4 in the cold weather. I echo your wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.and stay safe if you're traveling.

• Official Dodge Support

DodgeCares,

I ended up having them perform the service described by the TSB, but no fix. My DTE shows 325 at 19.5mpg which equates to 16.7gallons. Once it reaches 50miles left the gas light turns on, and then shortly wont give any DTE reading. The light came on again today and allowed me to only put 14.5 gallons in (still not to F). On a 20.5 gallon tank, that means that I have 6 gallons of "reserve". Squeezing in another half gallon isn't a good fix as it's my understanding that it will just sit in the Evap Canister. This seems to be a sensor/gauge issue, and not an actual Fuel Pump issue. If you're not finding anything else on this, does this mean that everyone still experiencing this issue is just out of luck? Is there any way to get this issued reported as not fixed and re-open the concern?

Chris did report these continuing issues to the proper people earlier this year. What, if anything else, will be published, I don't know. Dealers should be contacting our STAR department if they are unable to repair the vehicle. STAR, besides assisting techs in repairing vehicles, keeps track of the types and numbers of complaints they receive.

I think I'm with 2late4u & rolly. I'm not going to worry about it. I'm tired of topping my tank off. I did some reading on the internet about topping your tank off. Many different sources said that some of the gas that you are charged for when topping your tank off is actually taken back into the pump via a recirculation system so some of that gas never even makes it into the tank. Not sure if its true or not.

Peace.

On my last fill-up, I slowly topped the tank off several clicks after the initial click-off. I hesitated to do this because on some other Chrysler products, we have seen where topping off the tank forces fuel into the evap canister and causes hesitation and/or stalling until it is driven a few miles. Nevertheless, I experimented with it and sure enough, the car took at least a half-gallon or maybe more, and after start-up the needle read beyond the full mark. It also took noticeably more miles of driving before the needle began to move, which makes sense. The bottom line for me is that this is more of a convenience issue than any other. In other words, I might get one more day of driving on a tank of fuel by spending the extra time to top it off. It's not worth the effort for me. I'll just fill up until the pump clicks off and maybe add one more click to it, and be done. I suspect that this issue is more of a consequence of the fuel system's design as opposed to an all-out defect, since most folks are reporting that the repair as outlined in the TSB changes little or nothing.

My biggest concern right now is that the car is covered in road salt after the most recent pseudo-snowstorm which caused widespread panic yet yielded zilch in accumulation!

• 1 month later...

I had always meant to get this looked at and finally put an order (back order part of course) back in September/October when I had the brakes done. Due to some miscommunication, where they thought I was going to call back to schedule an appointment rather than them let me know when the part is in, we brought it up again last week when we lost two tires to potholes (we've been pretty damn unlucky with accidents with this car...4 accidents in less than two years and multiple tire hazards *sigh*) and had to get them replaced. Part came in end of the week and was installed today (dealership was extremely happy we didn't fill the tank up just before bringing it in..we were close to fumes). Anyway, went and filled up tonight; regular fill, stopped it when it clicked, and lo and behold, it shows a full tank for the first time . Part number is 5145614AB - Module-Fuel Pump Level Unit.

Cheers!

Steph S.

• 7 months later...

Just thought I would let you all know so maybe this will help speed the process up of them maybe figuring out the problem. I own a 2012 Journey SXT 3.6L. I have had a problem with the gas gauge since day one. took it right back to dealer and they said there was a problem with Fuel pump module that dodge had found. So we replaced it with part # 5145614AB. Took car home nothing had changed so I took it back and they said it should have fixed problem so there must have been something wrong with the part they put in so they once again replaced with they same part to try and fix problem. Took car home again and wasn't fixed so I took car to a different dealership and they checked it out said they scanned my vehicle and test sending unit and contacted STAR. STAR SUPPOSIBLE TOLD THE DEALERSHIP THAT MY FUEL GAUGE CONCERN IS NORMAL!!!. they said gas light should come on when tank has 5 gallons of gas left. WTF!! They also did a instrument cluster self-test and they said it tested good.

well guess what it still doesn't go to F and E light comes on way to early still and I have never been able to get for that 16 gallons of gas in my tank even with a slow fill up.

What is going on about this.

Yeah I just gave up and lived with it. Mine had the problem from day 1. They replaced the fuel pump module and it still had the problem, always shows 7/8 full. I can sometimes fill it up just over 7/8...but whatever. I still get a 400-450 mile range out of the vehicle before the low fuel light turns on. Then I can usually pump 17-18 gallons into it. This means the low fuel light comes on for me, at about 2-3 gallons remaining which seems reasonable to me. On my 2012 DJ Crew.

So I think the tank is filling up all the way, just doesn't reflect it via the gauge. Whatever, life goes on!

well guess what it still doesn't go to F and E light comes on way to early still and I have never been able to get for that 16 gallons of gas in my tank even with a slow fill up.

What is going on about this.

I have just "learned" my gauge. It doesn't get all the way to F. I believe my DJ gauge goes towards E too quickly so that there is more gas in the tank than the reading would lead one to assume. That's better than the opposite though! Its just a gas gauge. As long as you know when to fill the tank, you'll be alright. This whole thing reminds me of Spinal Tap's amplifier that goes to 11. Ha.

Peace.

• 7 months later...

I have DJ 13 3.6 awd that after the fuel light come on, I stopped and filled the tank, the check engine light came on immediately after fueling, and the gas hand only read 1/2tank, the dealer said the code was for the leaver in the tank, of course I have 40k so no warranty, is this covered under the same thing as the 11-12

• 1 month later...

I haven't done anything with my 2011 and it seems to have gotten better with time. The fuel gauge reads full when the pump clicks off. I still think the gauge reaches empty a little faster than the actual level of gas in the tank b/c if I fill with 1/8 reading on the gauge (about 2.6 US gallons left) for instance, the pump will often only make it to 16 or 17 gallons before it clicks off at full. I can't seem to force much more than 1/2 US gallon in the tank by repeated clicks if I try. Used to be a gallon or 1.5 gallons if I worked at it.

Dunno. Now I just fill until it clicks off, then I fill it again when the gauge gets near empty. Recently, I've tried not to be so cerebral about this gas gauge thing. Maybe that's why I think its better. . . Ha!

Peace.

Mine does too. Even when the fuel light comes on (and I rarely let it get to that point) It never takes more than 16-17 gallons (my tank is 20.5, FWD tanks are smaller) and it only takes that much if I sit there and top it off repeatedly. And my gauge only goes past full if I top it. My 300M also reads a bit on the low side, too. It'll only take about 14 gallons (Tank is 17) when the light is on. I prefer it to be this way, honestly. You're never really in danger of running out because the gauge gets you to fill it up a little sooner than absolutely necessary. Not a bad thing, IMO.

Filled up today after the fuel light came on. EVIC didn't even give a miles to empty estimate, just "Low Fuel". Only took 17.3 gallons. Gauge read full after filling. My gauge definitely reads E too soon. But, just like Journeyman says, good safety against running out of fuel.

Peace.

Edited by redtomatoman

Filled up today after the fuel light came on. EVIC didn't even give a miles to empty estimate, just "Low Fuel". Only took 17.3 gallons. Gauge read full after filling. My gauge definitely reads E too soon. But, just like Journeyman says, good safety against running out of fuel.

Peace.

That's about right with an 18 gallon tank... I usually get 17-18 gallons when almost empty.

Peace.

Mine does the same.

I never thought I had the same issues as others have had, but maybe I do, I have a 2010 AWD which means a 79.8 liter tank (21 US gallons) and after doing a quick review of Fuelly.com I have had three tanks that that were in the 73-75 liter range so that means I had anywhere from 5-7 liters left (1.3- 1.7 US gallons) yet my guage read very empty and my light came on. I did have an 85 liter fill up but obviously that was a mistake on my part. When I fill it, the pump does click off and the guage reads past the full mark and I usually get 60 miles before it drops any significant amount.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

It's a 20.5 gallon tank actually...

Sorry, typo... was thinking fast than I was typing. If I recall my light comes on right around that 45-50 miles to empty time frame... 2 gallons at ~24-26mpg = ~50 miles. With a fill being a hair over 18 gallons typically.

Yeah, same here. Even though my gauge never goes above 7/8 full...I will get the fuel light with about 40-50 miles remaining. Then fill up 17-18 gallons or so. So the whole tank is being used...it's just a stupid gauge issue.

I've ran for about 30 miles after the fuel light came on to see how far I could push it. I filled up 19.5 gallons after that...so only had 1 gallon to go.