those with fuel level issues

b1pig

just read this....

"

Before changing out a fuel pump module or fuel tank on any 2011 or 2012 JC (Journey) vehicle, please refer to the following:

There has been an issue identified on Front Wheel Drive JC vehicles which prohibits the fuel gauge from reading “Full” after refueling. The gauges will read anywhere between ¾ and just under “F”. If you encounter this customer concern, be advised that a fix is in process and is estimated to be released by 7/1/2012, but no part replacements will resolve this issue.

There are, however; other causes that can also prohibit a fuel gauge from reading full, and technicians are advised to ensure the vehicle is actually taking enough fuel on refueling (20.5 gallons) before releasing the vehicle.

This issue has also been shown to affect 2010 and prior 2.7L JC vehicles."

• 5 months later...

Wow, Glad to see this. Mine is in the shop now for engine and traction control lights. I was going crazy. 0 miles to empty, gas light on, needle all the way down. Can only get 18 gallons in, even continually adding fuel (8-10 times) after it stops pumping. Only to get 18 gallons if I'm lucky and 7/8th of a tank. PISSES ME OFF! I can't depend on the fuel gauge on long trips.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this problem. If I fill the tank all the way up without topping off, the gauge reads a bit under the full mark. If I top off the tank a significant amount, sometimes it will read full, other times not. A little frustrating!

just got back from a trip out to vegas from al about 2k each way. at home in al i can put in as much as i can and the trip est. says that i can go about 480 miles or so when i was out in new mexico and las vegas and would show as high as 560 miles before empty. wonder if it has something to do with the elavation or the pressure inside the tank. well not enough of a problem to lose sleep over but it is wierd as this seems to be the only car that ive ever had problem with. my daughter had a 2008 wrangler x that she had problem filling with gas and just before she got rid of it jeep did a recall and replaced the tank or filler tube not sure which they did but it fixed the problem.

All,

The service bulletin for a fix on this issue is going to be released on 8/10/12. I will post it on this thread when it comes out.

On my JC, my gauge seems to be fine, but I just cannot rely on the tank being full when the pump cuts out. I often have to top off more than 1 US gallon bit by bit because the tank/pump combo acts as if the tank is full. After adding the last gallon+ by topping off, the gauge seems fine.

Is this bulletin going to remedy my need to top off or is this just some computer reset for those with clear gas gauge inaccuracies?

Peace.

In my case, it is definitely not a gas gauge issue. At most pumps, when the pump first clicks off, the gauge shows approx. 7/8ths full. Many times, I have been able to add between 5 and 10 litres after this before the tank is really full!! So, for me, it is an issue actually getting the tank full.

• Official Dodge Support

In my case, it is definitely not a gas gauge issue. At most pumps, when the pump first clicks off, the gauge shows approx. 7/8ths full. Many times, I have been able to add between 5 and 10 litres after this before the tank is really full!! So, for me, it is an issue actually getting the tank full.

The title of the TSB says "gauge will not show full after filling up the vehicle", so I am not sure if it is a guage fix or a fill fix but I will post up the day it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, it's not an issue with the fuel gauge. I can definitely fill it completely full if I'm lucky enough to be at a pump where it allows the gas to come out really slowly. In normal filling, if I stop when the pump clicks off the first time, I'm at 7/8ths on the gauge at most. On numerous occasions, I have been able to put at least another 10 litres in the tank after the first time the pump clicks off. At that point, my gas gauge goes to just past the F mark.

If all Chrysler is going to do is modify the fuel gauge so that it shows full when it's really only at 7/8ths, I'll take a pass on that fix.

Based on my experience, the fix required is with the filler neck or somewhere along the line to the gas tank.

To me, it's not an issue with the fuel gauge. I can definitely fill it completely full if I'm lucky enough to be at a pump where it allows the gas to come out really slowly. In normal filling, if I stop when the pump clicks off the first time, I'm at 7/8ths on the gauge at most. On numerous occasions, I have been able to put at least another 10 litres in the tank after the first time the pump clicks off. At that point, my gas gauge goes to just past the F mark.

If all Chrysler is going to do is modify the fuel gauge so that it shows full when it's really only at 7/8ths, I'll take a pass on that fix.

Based on my experience, the fix required is with the filler neck or somewhere along the line to the gas tank.

Ditto for me. I find this more of an inconvenience than a real problem. I just continue filling until I see some gas refluxing out of the spout and I can get it full. If Chrysler offered a tank fix, I'd take it, but messing with the gauge would add another variable into the equation.

Peace.

• 3 weeks later...

Curious if this issue has an official fix yet, or if a service buliten has been issued? I just purchased a 2012 Journey SXT in August, and it is having similar issues. The fuel guage is acting very strange, and I'm worried its unreliable. It won't read full, and a couple days ago, I ran it until the low fuel light came on then put 8gal in it, and it read nearly full... which is not even remotely possible with the 20gal tank

Edited by echelon