Extended Brake Warranty Notice?

My name is Dr. Kelly. I bought a new 2010 Dodge Journey. At 10,160 miles I took the car into Southbay Dodge in Southern California for brakes issues. The brakes were squeeling and pulsing. They told me nothing was wrong and did no repairs. Within four months of this Dodge non-service, we took the car back into Southbay Dodge. Today the car has only 16,000 miles on it. Now they tell me all four rotors are warped and the brakes are gone. New brakes and rotors at 16,000 miles. This is an incredibly dangerous position Dodge is taking with our lives. I do not feel safe having my family in this vehicle. The pulsating of the brakes were so bad that the vehicle was very hard to drive.

I would like to join the class action suit against Chrysler. I'd also like information on the Lemon Laws in California regarding the Dodge Journey.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received no notification about this warranty extension.

I phoned our local Dodge dealer today and enquired about warranty on the brakes and was told it had been extended to 24 months / 40,000km.

We need new front rotors and pads after travelling only 24,000km. Not happy!!

Looking at ways to upgrade the braking system after this warranty expires because we really love the car, just a shame it didn't come with big enough brakes for the weight of the car...

Brett - Adelaide, South Australia (2010 RT 2.7L FWD)

Anyone having problems with their 2011 Journey brakes? I have a 3.6 AWD model and just found out today that my front rotors are warped causing the steering wheel to vibrate uncontrolably when braking. They are not covered since Im just past the 12mth 12K miles warranty for brake parts. I have 16k on the car and owned for just over 14 months. Anyone hear if Dodge will extend the brake warranty for the 2011/12 model also? The dealer wanted to charge me $225 for new rotors! This is crazy, so I placed a complaint through NHTSA to advise them of the subpar brake parts Dodge is using which could lead to a safety issue. I recommend everyone with this problem in the U.S. also place a complaint via NHTSA. They are supposed to be the a company that adresses safety issues with manufactures of cars. Im going to place a complaint with Dodge and possibly the better business bureau.

While I agree that brakes ought to last a long time and that (at least on this forum) there seem to be a lot of people with warped rotors and worn brake pads, this isn't a safety issue and the NHTSA will ignore your posting - the vehicle can be stoopped, even if the steering wheel does vibrate. Feel free to sound off on the topic, but just keep in mind that a 'safety issue' is one that leads to a crash - and the BBB will likewise be sympathetic, but useless.

Your only hope is a compasionate judge in small claims court.

I had my car in with 27000 miles and got the rotors grinned and pads replaced. Now at 48.000 miles I needed new rotors, pads were still OK. Told the dealership that they did not repair the car properly and got new pads and rotors. Paid 225$ which include 1 year warranty on the rotors and life time on the pads.....

We,shall seem what will happen this year.

• 4 weeks later...

My front brakes recently went to hell and the dealership quoted me $230 yesterday for new pads and turn the rotors. I knew of the extended warranty but never recieved a notice but I am the second owner of this SXT. So I called Chrysler Cus. Service and asked about the ext warranty and they said mine is covered with $100 deduct.(27000 miles). I called back my service advisor and informed him and he sounded unaware of it until I gave him the warranty code X30 that the cus. service rep gave me. I took it back in today and got it taken care of, 100 is better than 230. But a vehicle with 27000 miles should not be on its third set of pads unless chyrsler did poor engineering to save money and/or weight.

Do the 2012 Journeys still have the same brake problem? If so are they also covered by the extended warranty?

Anyone having problems with their 2011 Journey brakes? I have a 3.6 AWD model and just found out today that my front rotors are warped causing the steering wheel to vibrate uncontrolably when braking. They are not covered since Im just past the 12mth 12K miles warranty for brake parts. I have 16k on the car and owned for just over 14 months. Anyone hear if Dodge will extend the brake warranty for the 2011/12 model also? The dealer wanted to charge me $225 for new rotors! This is crazy, so I placed a complaint through NHTSA to advise them of the subpar brake parts Dodge is using which could lead to a safety issue. I recommend everyone with this problem in the U.S. also place a complaint via NHTSA. They are supposed to be the a company that adresses safety issues with manufactures of cars. Im going to place a complaint with Dodge and possibly the better business bureau.

Same problem here. I'll find out what the dealer says when I take it in next week.

• 1 month later...

I had my brake done at 25000km. Since I haves read this thread before (and changing brake at 25k is a joke) I went to my dealer.

The crappy service advisor tried to sell me break service at 120$ and I told him the get lost make the oil change and look at the brake to confirm the issue.

Then went to chat to the service manager. She acknolewdge Chrysler is aware of the issue and all of the sudden complete front brake and rear rotor change at no cost!

Now let's hope these will last longer! I never changed brake before 60k on any of my cars.

FYI I live in Quebec

I had my brake done at 25000km. Since I haves read this thread before (and changing brake at 25k is a joke) I went to my dealer.

The crappy service advisor tried to sell me break service at 120$ and I told him the get lost make the oil change and look at the brake to confirm the issue.

Then went to chat to the service manager. She acknolewdge Chrysler is aware of the issue and all of the sudden complete front brake and rear rotor change at no cost!

Now let's hope these will last longer! I never changed brake before 60k on any of my cars.

FYI I live in Quebec

They will most likely replace your brake pads and rotors with the same so you can probably expect to have the same issue happen again.

Do the 2012 Journeys still have the same brake problem? If so are they also covered by the extended warranty?

I would also like to know if the 2012's have upgraded brakes or are we all in the same boat regardless of year. Do we 2012 owners look for the production date??? DODGECACARES - Please clarify for us Canadians with 2012's. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from my last oil change my 2011 has 31k on the speedo the dealership turned my rotors at 10k and they are starting to mess up again so had the delaership take a look at them.they said they were to far to turn and said i would have to pay for new ones as i had 31k, i argued with them and asked them to call chrysler and ask for a goodwill event as they should have been replaced instead of turning them before and they called me back and said if i would pay for the new rotors <after market rotors as they dont have none in stock>they would do the labor for free. i asked how much for the rotors and they told me $195.00 i laughed at them and told them i could buy them alot cheaper then that at advance auto and do it my self. then they called me back and said they would do the job for free as soon as the rotors come in as the are on back order and it might be 2 weeks or 2 months before they get the parts. i said okay since they will do the whole job for free. My wife said i sould just go ahead and do them myself since i can buy new rotors and new pads<thermo-Quiet > for about $130.00 at least i would know they would be done right and using quality parts. havent decided which route to go.If i let the dealer do them ill have new rotors but used pads that are about half wore out or do them myself and not have to worry about them for a long time. also i use website retailmenot.com to get coupon codes for advance auto that saves you a good chuck of change off of the retail price. you use the code and order on line and pay on line than go down and pick up the parts at your local store works really good give it a try.

Edited by 2late4u

Yeah, you can usually get 30-40% off and free shipping from Advanced Auto Parts. Should be pretty cheap to do the front rotors/pads by yourself with good quality parts. That's my plan. I hate having to deal with the dealership and wait 6 hours everytime I go in for them to check on anything.

Last time I went in it was 5 hours and they came back and gave the usual "cannot replicate problem" with the warped rotors shimmying at lower speed stops. I'll just wait until I can't take it anymore then spend the $150-200 on new front brakes.

Off topic - does anyone know if you need a special tool to push the front brake caliper piston back in (to put the new pads in)? Or can you just use a c-clamp to push them in like other vehicles?

Off topic - does anyone know if you need a special tool to push the front brake caliper piston back in (to put the new pads in)? Or can you just use a c-clamp to push them in like other vehicles?

Special tool 8807 is required to retract the piston for the rear caliper but the front should be just a C-clamp.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Yeah, you can usually get 30-40% off and free shipping from Advanced Auto Parts. Should be pretty cheap to do the front rotors/pads by yourself with good quality parts. That's my plan. I hate having to deal with the dealership and wait 6 hours everytime I go in for them to check on anything.

Last time I went in it was 5 hours and they came back and gave the usual "cannot replicate problem" with the warped rotors shimmying at lower speed stops. I'll just wait until I can't take it anymore then spend the $150-200 on new front brakes.

if you buy from advance auto and buy the wagner thermo-quite pads they will replace them 1 timr for free auot zone and rileys auto wont. i really like the wagners thermo never tried the ceramic pads and the parts man says they are rougher on the rotors then normal as they build up more heat

if you buy from advance auto and buy the wagner thermo-quite pads they will replace them 1 timr for free auot zone and rileys auto wont. i really like the wagners thermo never tried the ceramic pads and the parts man says they are rougher on the rotors then normal as they build up more heat

Aren't ceramic pads the standard for the DJ? I thought you had to get ceramic pads? I thought they were better than organic pads anyways?

Aren't ceramic pads the standard for the DJ? I thought you had to get ceramic pads? I thought they were better than organic pads anyways?

dont know about 2012 but the 2011 have semi-metalic. because i was just talking to the dealer about them. guess its who you ask about the ceramic pads they dont have the dust problem from what i hear, but are rough on the rotors. oh well who knows

Just had brakes replaced on my 2010 Dealer did the front for the 100 dollars as letter from Dodge states rears cost me 350.00 though because they are not covered under the extended warranty. I emailed Chrysler Customer Assistance Center at www.dodge.com/dodgecares . And they emailed me back the next day, However they stated that the rear brakes were not covered under warranty and that they would call me the next business day. Which they did. During the conversation I was told that if enough people complained Dodge may extend the warranty to the rear brakes as well. So I am suggesting we begin a email onslaught to force them to at least extend the warranty to the rear brakes as well..

So we can get some replacement cost back . And as for me I will be going to the ceramic pads on the next change. 31,000 miles is way too soon to be replacing brakes.

• Official Dodge Support

Just had brakes replaced on my 2010 Dealer did the front for the 100 dollars as letter from Dodge states rears cost me 350.00 though because they are not covered under the extended warranty. I emailed Chrysler Customer Assistance Center at www.dodge.com/dodgecares . And they emailed me back the next day, However they stated that the rear brakes were not covered under warranty and that they would call me the next business day. Which they did. During the conversation I was told that if enough people complained Dodge may extend the warranty to the rear brakes as well. So I am suggesting we begin a email onslaught to force them to at least extend the warranty to the rear brakes as well..

So we can get some replacement cost back . And as for me I will be going to the ceramic pads on the next change. 31,000 miles is way too soon to be replacing brakes.

All,

Just to clarify, if you get your brakes done and a extended warranty or recall comes out on them at a later date, you will be able to submit for reimbursement at that time. This includes replacements done at the dealer or independent repair facilities with OEM or aftermarket parts, so save your receipts. If/when an extended warranty or recall notices come out, the repair must be done at the dealer from that point on, using specified parts, to qualify for coverage under the warranty extension or recall.

just got back from my last oil change my 2011 has 31k on the speedo the dealership turned my rotors at 10k and they are starting to mess up again so had the delaership take a look at them.they said they were to far to turn and said i would have to pay for new ones as i had 31k, i argued with them and asked them to call chrysler and ask for a goodwill event as they should have been replaced instead of turning them before and they called me back and said if i would pay for the new rotors <after market rotors as they dont have none in stock>they would do the labor for free. i asked how much for the rotors and they told me $195.00 i laughed at them and told them i could buy them alot cheaper then that at advance auto and do it my self. then they called me back and said they would do the job for free as soon as the rotors come in as the are on back order and it might be 2 weeks or 2 months before they get the parts. i said okay since they will do the whole job for free. My wife said i sould just go ahead and do them myself since i can buy new rotors and new pads<thermo-Quiet > for about $130.00 at least i would know they would be done right and using quality parts. havent decided which route to go.If i let the dealer do them ill have new rotors but used pads that are about half wore out or do them myself and not have to worry about them for a long time. also i use website retailmenot.com to get coupon codes for advance auto that saves you a good chuck of change off of the retail price. you use the code and order on line and pay on line than go down and pick up the parts at your local store works really good give it a try.

well just took my journey back to the dealer and they installed the new rotors and also put new pads on also only took them 1 hour so i waited on them. back on the road with new front brakes didnt think to ask if i would get the 12 or 12000 mile warrenty that you usally get with dealer installed parts. as this was a one time good faith repair on the brakes oh well i am happy and when they start to give me any more problems will fix them myself. do have to say that cullman dodge in cullman al. does go the extra mile to help their cust.

well just took my journey back to the dealer and they installed the new rotors and also put new pads on also only took them 1 hour so i waited on them. back on the road with new front brakes didnt think to ask if i would get the 12 or 12000 mile warrenty that you usally get with dealer installed parts. as this was a one time good faith repair on the brakes oh well i am happy and when they start to give me any more problems will fix them myself. do have to say that cullman dodge in cullman al. does go the extra mile to help their cust.

Good for you! Always nice to hear about a postive dealer experience. I had bought 6 vehicles from this one particular dealer and because of change of ownership, the service was terrible. I went to another dealer in town for service and was so impressed with them, I bought my new vehicle from them. There are good dealers out there and they deserve to be praised, something we often don't think about. If we can complain about poor service, it's only fair to tell them you appreciate it when they do a good job. Way to go!

Edited by rolly

• 5 weeks later...