Extended Brake Warranty Notice?

My name is Zach Kady. I work at Berk Law PLLC, one of a few law firms handling a class action lawsuit on behalf of Journey owners against Chrysler/Dodge regarding inadequate braking systems on the 2009 and 2010 Journey vehicles. We have recently learned that Dodge has extended some warranties on brake components to 3years/36k miles. I am posting here to find out if anyone has received notice of such an extension. Please reply to the thread or e-mail me at info@berklawdc.com to let us know whether or not you've received this notice. For your convenience, I have attached a standard copy of the notice to this thread so that you can be sure whether or not you've seen it before.

110518 Warranty Extension NOTICE.pdf

Email me

Thank You,

Zach

Received notice in March, 2011 of a doubling of the warranty (24 months and 40,000 km). They also offered to pay for any repairs after original warranty but before 40K km on the front brakes only. I had front and rear done before 40K km and they paid all associated costs. This applies to Canadian vehicles. American warranty is 24 mos / 24 k miles with no deductible and an additional 12 months / 12K miles with $100.00 deductible.

Edited by BUGS

i have not received any notification about a break extended warranty. i am currently in need of breaks after 18,000 miles and according to the dealership i took the journey to, it will cost me $900 to have breaks and rotors all around. I went to a different dealer and found that it wont cost half that much because of an extension on the warranty. I'd like to have paper work to back this up if possible.

My name is Zach Kady. I work at Berk Law PLLC, one of a few law firms handling a class action lawsuit on behalf of Journey owners against Chrysler/Dodge regarding inadequate braking systems on the 2009 and 2010 Journey vehicles. We have recently learned that Dodge has extended some warranties on brake components to 3years/36k miles. I am posting here to find out if anyone has received notice of such an extension. Please reply to the thread or e-mail me at info@berklawdc.com to let us know whether or not you've received this notice. For your convenience, I have attached a standard copy of the notice to this thread so that you can be sure whether or not you've seen it before.

Email me

Thank You,

Zach

I did not get a notice in the mail from Chrysler regarding the brakes on my '09 Journey. However I did get the front rotors and pads replaced on the extended warranty. My cost was $50 for the deductible through the dealer. My Journey had less than 20K miles on it at the time. All I did was mention something like, "Isn't there some kind of extended warranty on the Journey brakes?" The advisor checked the vin and said yes.

My front brakes recently went to hell and the dealership quoted me $230 yesterday for new pads and turn the rotors. I knew of the extended warranty but never recieved a notice but I am the second owner of this SXT. So I called Chrysler Cus. Service and asked about the ext warranty and they said mine is covered with $100 deduct.(27000 miles). I called back my service advisor and informed him and he sounded unaware of it until I gave him the warranty code X30 that the cus. service rep gave me. I took it back in today and got it taken care of, 100 is better than 230. But a vehicle with 27000 miles should not be on its third set of pads unless chyrsler did poor engineering to save money and/or weight.

I did not receive a warranty notice; however, I recently sent Chrysler a nasty-gram stating how disappointed that at 18000 miles I had to have front pads replaced and rotors turned, and how at 30000 miles the front end shudders when braking (rotors warped). They responded with the warranty information, saying they would reimburse me for the first brake job, minus $50 and they would reimburse me for the second front brake job minus $100. I took the car into the dealership for them to tear open the front brakes, and informed them of Chryslers response to my inquiry, they offered to do BOTH front & back, pads & rotors under warranty with NO COST to me. Needless to say, I am happy with this service/repair, but it doesn't correct the original problem of an insufficient braking system on this vehicle. So what's next???

I have a 2010 Journey sxt and have changed brakes and rotors front and back once when the vehicle was at 9000 km.I received a letter stating that they are extending the break warranty.Now my journey has 17000 km and i am starting to feel my breaks acting funny a little and the steering wheel shakes I think at highway speeds.

I wish we can sue the crap out of this bastards that play with peoples life's with faulty breaks.I am in British Columbia,Canada if that maters.

I wish we can sue the crap out of this bastards that play with peoples life's with faulty breaks.I am in British Columbia,Canada if that maters.

I agree. I'm in BC and contacted the lawyer who started this thread, but he only represents the US lawsuit. How can we get a Canadian lawsuit started?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Email me

Thank You,

Zach

Zach,

I have not received notice of the extended warranty on braking systems yet, but I have read quite a few stories of dismay that I too am experiencing. I have a 2010 Journey - at 1700 miles the rotors and brake pads were replaced and now at 9000 miles the brakes have started to squeal. I brought the car into the dealer today and was told it may be my braking style. Sorry, but that didn't settle well with me and is when I discovered this forum. I called them back and asked about the Mopar parts warranty and am scheduled to have the pads replaced next week. I am also going to have my non-dealer mechanic check it out and see what they thing for a 2nd opinion. I have read that fellow owners suggest getting higher end slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads to take care of the issue. Honestly, I do not think this should be passed along to the consumer. The vehicle should be equipped with the proper equipment to begin with and we should not have to live with chronic issues in a car that supposedly has good ratings otherwise. I do not have the time to be at the dealer every few months for issues like this nor do I want to be stuck with this expense for the life of the car if this is not resolved under warranty. I will not rest until it is. Any help you can send my way will be appreciated such as information on a class action suit started in South Carolina. Thank you.

Christine

Edited by Steelrain10

• 1 month later...

Yep, my 2010 Journey has suffered from the excessive brake wear problem.

I got my letter from Chrysler Canada towards the back end of last year, so I took my Journey into the dealer and had them inspect the rotors & pads. At the time they said everything looked fine and they should be good for another 20 - 30,000k. But at the start of this year the brakes started squeaking like a bag of guinea pigs!!! No more than 3 weeks later the ride turned into a boneshaker when breaking.

I took the Journey into the dealer again a couple of weeks ago, and hey-presto, new rotors and pads all-round. They didn't even charge me the deductible... but stung me for a $200 throttle body maintenance.

Email me

Thank You,

Zach

Hey Zach, My question is this... What are you going to do for "us"? I have 62,000 miles on my '09 and am currently on my 4th set of pads and 2nd or 3rd set of rotors, I can't keep track anymore.

Email me

Thank You,

Zach

Zach - I emailed you. We replaced our brakes (R/T AWD) at 23,000 miles and are ready to replace again at 45,000 miles. Very normal driving habits with little city use (very little stop and go). We received the letter and actually received a check for something like $80 to compensate for the 23K mile replacement. They did not send me the full replacement cost....just part of it.

Brian

Email me

Thank You,

Zach

I received it June 1st 2011. I have had all the same issues and from what I read the class action lawsuit only covers those residing in NJ and CA. How can other states be included or start one? I have less then 36k on my car and this is the 4th time in and many calls with excuses like the brakes are fine it's slushy or wet out. ect.. Please help! My car is in today and want me to replace the back pads and rotors again!

• 5 months later...

This is crap, I had the rotors and pads changed at 9000 miles, at 35, 000 ~ miles, my brakes are squealing. The pads need to be replaced.The dealership will do it for a hundred dollar deductible. If the braking system is too small, guess what, we are going to be changing pads every 15000 miles..

• 2 weeks later...

This is just ludicrous...If they know there is a valid issue with their braking system, then why are they still collecting money from people??? Eff them, we need to make this more public, because Chrysler is attempting to keep it quiet and sweep us all under the rug. I even had my brakes replaced with aftermarket rotors and pads, and now I have a new issue with the braking system!! I have taken it into my local shop several times, and the owner of the shop finally wrote a formal letter explaining that the braking system on this vehicle is insufficient for the weight and size, and told me to take it to a lawyer. He cited all of the complaints from the sites, including this one, and checked out the lawsuit in progress that caused the warranty extension(if you can call it that) When I bought this car, I thought it was an upgrade from what I was driving around before. But now I am more embarrassed to be seen in this POS!

I have 31,000 miles on my 2009 Journey R/T. I just had my front pads and rotors replaced under the extended warranty for $100. The funny thing was that I asked about the rear brakes and was told that there wasn't any extended warranty on the rear brakes but the dealership noted and told me verbally that the rear brakes were 65% to 70% worn. I asked why wouldn't the rear brakes be covered when they only do 25% of the braking of the vehicle? Not covered at this time. I will received a notice if something changes.

• 2 months later...