Hit a Big One

Armando G

Well, it finally happened - I hit the 100k mark on my girl. After 8 years of ownership and many long trips, I am still happy with my DJ. She gets me where I need to be and runs as smooth as the day I brought her home. Other than a sensor going out at the 90k mark, I've just had to do regular maintenance. I have also completed the 100k mile service, which was a bit pricey but well worth it. Here's to another 100k with no major issues...?

20231106_153146.jpg

20231106_153558.jpg

20230406_110817.jpg

Edited by Armando G
Misspelling

On 11/8/2023 at 8:54 PM, 2late4u said:

150 k for me on my 2014 still waiting on the abs module from the dealership (on backorder for over a yr+ as of know) just the 3  lights with the cruise control inop is the worst part of this...LOL,,, like you still loving my journey shame they discontinued it....

What really surprised me is when they first quit offering it with the V6, and never offered a SRT option. They made a SRT in almost every other vehicle so kinda surprised they never made a Journey with it 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Congratulations on reaching the remarkable 100k milestone with your faithful companion, your DJ! Eight years of ownership, countless adventures, and still running as smoothly as day one – that's a testament to your care and the car's reliability. It's impressive that, aside from a minor sensor hiccup, regular maintenance has kept her in top shape. Completing the 100k mile service is a significant accomplishment, emphasizing your commitment to her longevity. Here's to another 100k miles of smooth rides, more adventures, and a continued journey filled with joy on the open road. Cheers to your enduring partnership!

The last post has to be some kind of AI robot crap. It completely ignores the mention of $2k + expensive rattling top  end engine problem. There is no testament to good maint and reliability  bla bla bla.  I’m sure owner is not happy at all at only 100k mikes for this type of expense. 

To actually answer his question, which johanbrandon clearly didn’t. There are a few docuemented cases of this with the 3.6 engine, on this site, but it is not a commmon issue at all, especially at your low milage.  I would try switching to a Mopar filter and new top grade oil immediately, see if sound changes.  Maybe even high milage 5W30 oil considering your location. They don’t usually just start loud ticking. Top end wear slowly increases and sound level follows.

Edited by John/Horace

On 12/4/2023 at 7:15 PM, Armando G said:

Well, hit the big one and my rockers seem to be 'ticking' now. Dodge quoted $2400 to inspect, then they'll give me a final price...ugh. Anyone else replace their rockers (or lifters)? I got another quote for no more than $2000 with all lifters and rockets replaced. 

I assume that you're talking about the 3.6 engine.  I've done rockers myself a couple of times on different vehicles with this same engine.  I maintain my vehicles too, regular oil changes, etc... so it's a frustrating issue that seems unavoidable in some cases.  It's not a terribly tough job if you're mechanically-inclined.  The big reason for the expensive quotes is that the service manual, and associated hours for the job in the service manual include the removal of the camshafts.  It is absolutely possible to replace all the rockers WITHOUT removing the camshafts if the camshafts are not damaged by the faulty rocker(s).  There are some YouTube videos that show how to do this.  I'm not a professional mechanic, and I can replace all 12 rockers in a single cylinder head in about 2 hours myself.  If you don't want to do this yourself, then I'd search for a mechanic who knows how to do the job without removing the camshafts.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I've been on here, but I did get everything done. I have a good friend that owns a Mercedes shop and he did all of the rockers, a couple of camshafts, and a few other items under there for under $3k. I do have the 3.6 and it truly took about 8 hours to do it all over 2 days. I was also able to see the car when it was taken apart, and he showed me the 2 broken rockers and the camshafts. I decided to change 2 of the of the camshafts, even though he gave me the option to keep one of them. The other two were smooth and in great condition. After some more conversations with the dealer, the average price to do this whole job (without the $400 camshafts) would have been $4,600. The car is running great and I have an 18 month warranty if anything goes wrong. I've been on a couple long trips since the work and no issues so far. My DJ is still going strong with no issues. Oh, and believe it or not, I've always used high quality full synthetic up with every change. The issue was the lower quality rockers used in the original construction. 

Great to hear all is well again, but YES a pretty hefty hit to the bank account all the same. And yes, having capable friends or trusted shop other than DEALERS can help greatly on costs. Also can't rule out part of costs due to the WONDERFUL ECONOMY we ALL are currently dealing with.

Edited by 5rebel9