And that's all for now, Folks! (A goodbye)

NavalLacrosse

Obituary:

2011 Dodge Journey Crew, 3.6L V6 FWD. 
Collision with Deer at 70mph; Outskirts of Lansing, Mich. (airbags did not need to deploy, windscreen intact) Even while steaming away the last off the coolant, and spraying oil from the shattered head, it still drove its last 1/2 mile to a gas station off the freeway.
Insurance totaled it, after negotiation, their payout was $9500. 
I bought my DJ used (but 'new') from a dealership. $11,900 out the door in 2017. 32,000 miles on it. I was it's only owner, as the dealer never drove it without a dealer plate.

I drove it to 98,900 miles.

Some highlights were:

• Comfortable Seats. I enjoyed them, honestly the seats sold the car on day one. I took plenty of naps at lunch in that driver's seat.
  • The time i did the whole drive back from florida (24 hrs), and had a tire explode in the truck at 4am. 
  • Towed my tiny camper to two different camp sites. did well enough.
  • (recently) the time i did on small peel-out on woodward ave in front of a small crowd of day-drinkers during the largest car cruise in the world. It made their 10 seconds, but it made my day.
  • that's about all that comes to mind.

Major issues:

• Electrical gremlin is at best an annoyance (30 minute disconnect, reconnect) and at worst a knuckle busting repair (3x batteries and a new alternator+belt)
  • Oil changes every time the computer told me. (7k miles). always consumed about 1/2 qrt between changes.
  • fog light bulb burned out.
  • bluetooth rarely synced correctly.

I probably won't come back to the forum. But I'll remember you guys for your tips and tricks, and endless antics. 
Tchau, for now!

-Tim

dodge this 1.jpg

dodge this 2.jpg

sorry to hear this,and yes them Mi deer can do some damage,,my brother lives in Metamora MI on a longggggg dirt rd and he had a deer crossing just about 1 block from his driveway and the banks on both sides of the rd are real steep and he had a huge buck jump from  one side of the bank and landed right on hood of his fairly new truck did a bunch of damage and he had everything fixed and was always real careful when ever he came to that same crossing and dam if it didnt happen again about 3 months after the first one,, he was so mad....     take care

Wow that’s a ton of damage, glad you walked away. I have had close calls with deer/moose but have been lucky.

With the air bags intact, I agree with Rebel it will probably end up back on the road. Sounds like you did well with the numbers.

Good luck in your next automotive selection. It was nice having you here, cheers.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:33 AM, jkeaton said:

Ouch! Glad you are ok. No need to leave. I sold my Journey 5 years ago. Lol. 

Haha well 'gm-Volt-forums' just isn't half as fun. I might just pop in every so often.

On 10/9/2021 at 7:37 AM, Redtomatoman123 said:

Replace it with something that can do the occasional burn out without worry of causing damage to the tranny.   Ha!

Haha.... a boy can dream... but my wife wants a Buick Encore 2019, so I'll be lucky to break the tires loose, yet alone keep them spinning.

On 2021-10-11 at 12:37 AM, NavalLacrosse said:

Haha well 'gm-Volt-forums' just isn't half as fun. I might just pop in every so often.

Haha.... a boy can dream... but my wife wants a Buick Encore 2019, so I'll be lucky to break the tires loose, yet alone keep them spinning.

Used turbos would concern me a little bit. Hard to stay away from in ICE engines now,  older technology so you would think robust, but not really. At least in new car you can flip by 4-5 years or 120 miles and less likely be on the hook for a remanufactured turbo to be installed. Not a typical diy repair, and can be very pricy. 

I stealth the volt forums, family member has one, may see you there, cheers.

8 hours ago, NavalLacrosse said:

looks like a 2018 Ford Escape Titanium (or an SEL) is about to be mine!

Well 3 months ago my daughter traded her Kia Spectra in for same year SEL and LOVES it. I hope it will serve you well.  :)

I'm a fairly big guy(280lbs)and with a bad back, and find it a bit of a tight fit, but comfortable. Not near the cargo room of the older DJ like our '11 ,model.

Good luck to you Tim. Thanks for all of the input and knowledge and of course, glad you are OK after that incident. Hope you do come back with a pic of the replacement car. Sounds like the DJ turned out to be a decent investment for you, hope the next one works out just as well. 

@NavalLacrosse

• 3 months later...

After an exhaustive search, I finally purchased my Dodge Journey replacement Vehicle.

2019 CPO'd Buick Envision Essence, FWD, 2.5L n/a. Red ext. w/ beige leather int.; 49k Miles. $26,700 OTD

One of the main requirements for my wife was that the Dodge Journey's replacement needed to have comfortable seats comparable or better than the DJ. This buick does the trick. 

This comes just in time; My second car (Chevy Volt) is leaking coolant from it's Inverter/Charger coolant loop (one of 4 independent coolant loops) and needs it's radiator swapped. It's an involved swap, but at least it's the easiest of the 4 radiators to swap.

Edited by NavalLacrosse

Congrats, challenging time for buying vehicles. Used and n/a is a good combo, don’t want to be swapping turbos if you can avoid it.  
Curious about the volt a bit, my brother has one and he loves it. I’m on their forums occasionally, decent crowd.

Approx how many miles when leak happened?  There will be a hybrid in my future so I’m trying to learn more about them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 12:42 PM, John/Horace said:

re: VOLT

Approx how many miles when leak happened?  There will be a hybrid in my future so I’m trying to learn more about them.

My leak happened at 120k miles. 
I'd strongly recommend the VOLT (both gen-1 and gen-2), although for the sake of comfort, i'd recommend one well within  it's powertrain/Voltec coverage period. (8yr/100k miles.), and GEN 2 (2016-2019) for the modern amenities and refinements.

PHEV makes a great gateway drug to full EV... and if not, at least its a fun car that costs next to nothing to operate.

• 4 months later...