Car shut off and now won’t start.

I stopped to get gas and my car shut off on its own and wouldn’t start again. It’s an automatic but the dash says press clutch and button to start. Why would it say press clutch if it’s an automatic? 

Welcome to forum. If the battery gets really low there can be weird electrical stuff going on. There are models of Journey with Diesel engine and clutch. Software probably shared across models.

Put it on a battery charger or  boost  car with cables. Make sure no dome lights left on etc.

2 hours ago, Stacey said:

I stopped to get gas and my car shut off on its own and wouldn’t start again. It’s an automatic but the dash says press clutch and button to start. Why would it say press clutch if it’s an automatic? 

so how old is the battery?  journeys like a good battery, just because the radio will work or the lights come on doesn't mean its good enough to start it,also after you get it fixed MAKE sure your alternator is checked to make sure it is putting out enough to keep the battery going...good luck    P .S. i have a 2014 as well and i already replaced mine at least twice already..i live in AL and heat can be hard on batteries as well

Edited by 2late4u

Thank you guys so much. The battery was about a year old and he did just changed the alternator a month ago. We just changed the battery again today and it started. Took it for a test drive then came back home and turned it off and now won’t start again. Code reader is showing 3 codes of the same thing. When we took gas cap off it had a lot of air pressure coming out.

BE3FE6D5-4A30-4D69-BDFC-11F9770261F1.jpeg

It's a fuel tank pressure code. System shouldn't pressurize like that if cannister etc working. Purge valve under hood is usually culprit, not expensive. Could unhook cannister vac hoses  and see if it runs without pressurizing. Mil light will be on, but car should still run. 

Fumes accumulate in charcoal cannister and get sucked into engine during drive cycle. Yours not working properly. Loosening gas cap might also help you start car and drive to repair shop.

image.png.bb369a043365b063cf1520b9b933b538.png

Edited by John/Horace
Type

It's not related to problem. Could be for option your car doesnt have. Have you tried starting car with gas cap loose and no pressure in tank. Loose cap will cause a mil light, but not one that causes a no start.

Is engine turning over but just not catching. If so hold pedal to floor and try again.

Ok that’s good, I wanted to make sure nothing came loose or fell off since I live on a dirt road you never know lol but thank you. Yes I tried starting it with the gas cap loose and didn’t start. It’s just clicking when I try to start it now.

Edited by Stacey