Transmission: Flush? Or drain and fill?

bramfrank

As I approach 100,000 km and with 8 or so months left on the extended warranty for my '14 Crossroad I guess it is time to do some PM on the transmission.

Dealer wants about $360 plus taxes and is pushing for a power flush, but I've heard horror stories about the after effects of those.  Though hopefully any issues would show up before the warranty expires in mid-December.  $360 sounds like a lot of money for what it is.  Those are Canadian dollars, mind you (at today's exchange rates that is US$285).

He HASN'T given me a price to drop the pan, clean the filter and refill the transmission, and he claims less than half the fluid will be replaced.

So I am asking;  Power flush?  Or drain and refill?  And, is the price he's quoted reasonable?

had my 14 crossroad changed at 60 k cost me around $185.   just had it changed again at 104 k cost was below $300 cant remember and to lazy to go check, i just believe in changing oil in the engine as well as the trans, never had a flush or power flush why run clean oil thur a dirty filter all prices in U.S. and also i have the unlimited miles and yrs warranty as well,didnt want to give them excuse to say i didnt have it done, hence why i had it done at the dealership...actually sounds reasonable as prices have went thur the roof on everything here lately...might want to check a different dealer as they all charge different prices on labor and parts

Pan needs to be dropped, filter replaced, magnet cleaned and new atf+4 fluid added.

Dropping pan gets about 5 litres out of 11 approx in system.  I top up the 5, run it through the gears at less than 40 mph so torque converter gets flushed out. Then syphon out oil from dipstick, usually 4 litres will come out. Then top up again.

It’s messy and timing consuming doing this; but just a flush with out it is not a great idea. Flushing can disturb deposits in system and most mechanics I know don’t recommend it, especially on a high mileage car. 

The atf+4 is a semi synthetic oil that is only $8 a litre, so price is too high. Use a tranny shop and get a receipt. 

Edited by John/Horace

I probably spent about $100 cdn in fluid in total , as mentioned 5 liter original pan removal / cleaning, gasket material and filter replacement ( $30- $40 ). Then syphoned 3 ltrs at a time out twice about a week apart each time until oil looked brand new. Maybe 4 hours time for all those changes. Probably cost about half what your are being quoted, easy job on nice days plus a good excuse to sit and enjoy a beer while the pan finished dripping. John / Horace I think is correct, change the filter don't just do a flush job, no matter who is doing it, mine was done at 100.000 kms

Edited by probak118

I've yet to do this... its sitting on my list of things ready to go but I just want to chime in here.. if you plan on flushing tranny fluid over time, I would suggest getting a new tranny pan the first time you do it. an aftermarket tranny pan will give you a drain bolt so you can just do it like a regular oil change, then top off from the fill on the top side of the engine...dont forget to get a gasket (or gasket maker like above). also good info in here knowing 5L is changed everytime you do this.. looks like i need to buy another bottle of atf.

cheers all

• 3 weeks later...

I just did mine last night, literally took me about 40 minutes from start to finish and about $110 (6 qts ATF +4, filter and pan gasket).

PPE - gloves, goggles

1. Raise Journey and put jack stands

2. Losen but don't remove transmission pan screws (8mm) let oil drip out on oil bucket.

3. Remove transmissoon pan, remove gasket and clean magnet.

4. Remove filter (2 torx screws - T25)

5. Replace filter, gasket and pan

6. Refill (mine took 5 1/2 qts)

7. Lower vehicle, start and go through all gears without moving vehicle.

Tutorial link below.