Please help, 2012 Dodge Journey

Hey guys,

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey SXT. It ran good before it sat for 3 years. I live in Maine if the weather matters. Since getting it back on the road, it has had a bit of power loss and a tiny weird smell like gas/oil maybe coming through the vents. After a couple months of driving it and delivering food and making some extra money, I decided to give it a tune up and get new tires and stuff. I brought it to the garage last month. He replaced Brake pads, Radiator, Tires, Fixed exhaust leak near manifold, and the spark plug thingys. ($1100) I brought some of the parts with me. (Tires and spark plugs) 

The mechanic said the number 6 cylinder was misfiring. But that other than that the car was solid. It drove well for 2 days and then just wouldn't start one morning. I heard the fuel pump kick in and it would want to start but die out. There is a little lighting bolt symbol on the trucks dash lighting up. I killed the battery trying to start it and had it towed back to garage. Mechanic said it was the computer. I had Dodge ordered the computer ($500) and had Dodge install and program it today. ($469) The mechanic at Dodge said it needed a new battery too. I got that. He installed and went to start it and black smoke filled the garage and it started and was running. But was running in limp home mode. Absolutely no power and the lightening bolt thingy flashing again. It stalled and wouldn't start 4 miles down the road. After paying Dodge and towing it around all day, Im broke. I used all my money for rent for the truck repair so I could get back to working delivering food. I'm worried the first Garage didn't know what it was doing because it ran for months before I tried to put new parts in it. And now it wont work at all and has a new computer in it. I risked it all with repairing this Journey and now Im going to lose everything. My apartment and all my belongings after wasting almost $2500. I should have my first and second stimulus check someday, but its late and I cant count on it anymore. 

Can anyone help me? Does anyone know what could be wrong? I don't have anyone that can help so I thought I would try here. I know I need to bring it to a garage but I just don't have the money right now. I'm so upset and this has caused a domino effect in my life. If you guys have any experience on what it could be, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Raven

Edited by Laraven

Wow that’s tough. Nasty when shops take advantage of people and don’t know what they are doing.

There should be codes that indicate what is causing problem which mechanics can retrieve with a scanner.

Its probably throttle or gas pedal sensor related problem that the lightning bolt dash light is showing. Talk to someone you  trust for a mechanic they use.  Better times ahead.

Do you think a battery reset might help? And did I read correctly, that parts stores will scan your car for issues for free? I thought I read that on these forums. It's prob wishful thinking. lol

Mechanic said it was the computer. I had Dodge ordered the computer ($500) and had Dodge install and program it today. ($469) The mechanic at Dodge said it needed a new battery too. I got that. He installed and went to start it and black smoke filled the garage and it started and was running. But was running in limp home mode. Absolutely no power and the lightening bolt thingy flashing again. It stalled and wouldn't start 4 miles down the road. After paying Dodge and towing it around all day, I'm broke

Dodge dealer diagnosed the problem and did the work, to fix the issue they found ( they scanned for codes then,) It stopped working after you left their shop. Speak to that shop manager or call the customer complaint line for Dodge...someone here must also know that number for you. You paid for professionals to diagnose and repair the issue, make them stand by their work, and warranty on that work performed.

The Dodge dealer didn't diagnose the computer issue though. The first garage did. He said he could order the computer but that I would have to go to Dodge to have it programmed so I just went and had them order the computer, install and program it. That prob makes a difference huh? Also, I first garage didnt even put the engine back right when Dodge went to work on it. He left off the vacuum hose to something., and the plastic guard over my intake is MIA completely. Not sure what else is messed up. But he knew it needed to be put back together before the tow truck got there to pick it up. 

A 3rd garage just told me its in limp mode and to run the positive and negative posts together for 10 seconds and disconnect the battery for another 10 seconds and then connect it. Resetting the code I guess. 

well at my dealership there is a 129 charge for diagnostics charge that goes towards the repair if they do the job, sounds like there is more of a problem than just the computer that was mentioned,yes dodge dealerships are a higher cost but also they usually are more qualified on what repairs they do than your local garages, sorry you are gong thur this mess but my advise is to pick ! mechanic and only 1,,,to fix it otherwise you are just throwing parts at a vech. that might not be needed

18 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

well at my dealership there is a 129 charge for diagnostics charge that goes towards the repair if they do the job, sounds like there is more of a problem than just the computer that was mentioned,yes dodge dealerships are a higher cost but also they usually are more qualified on what repairs they do than your local garages, sorry you are gong thur this mess but my advise is to pick ! mechanic and only 1,,,to fix it otherwise you are just throwing parts at a vech. that might not be needed

I agree with this. But After the first Garage (friend of my mothers) didn't put it back together fully, and still has my plastic shroud that covers intake, Im a bit upset. He is also angry I guess that I "took the truck out from under him." To be clear, he told me he could install the computer, but not program it and that Dodge would need to do it. He also was going to order my computer from one of those "plug n play" websites with horrible reviews. So, when I mentioned that those websites are not great and can take forever to ship (even with paid overnight) he said "Okay, well buy the computer." Not sure if there was a misunderstanding on my part or not, but I assumed he could no longer help me. The truck stayed at his garage for 2 weeks while I got the money and ordered the new computer. He called me the day before it came and said the truck had to be moved. I told him I would be having a tow truck come get it yesterday and bring it to Dodge. He said ok. And that he would have it put back together. Nothing else was mentioned. Then when I called him at Dodge and told him he left the vacuum hose off, and that the plastic shroud was missing, and the new computer had been installed and programmed but the truck was still not running, he said I shouldn't of taken the vehicle out from under him. Said to bring it back and he would take a look. My trust is also shaken due to me knowing that this man has used or still uses hard drugs. He has issue a few years back and a lot of customers where complaining. Im just unsure if he screwed me or not, because like I said, it ran fine for 2 months until I brought it to him for some minor repairs and tune up. Then it stopped running. Im not sure if coincidence because it sat for 3 yrs or if he did something. Not sure if I should give him anther chance or go to new 3rd garage. sighhhh, I really loved my Dodge Durango, but I hate this Journey. 

Edited by Laraven

You need to take it back to a Dodge dealer.  The plastic shroud over the intake has no real function, but he should have put it back.  What kind dealer just replaces “the computer” without diagnostics?  Exactly what computer did they replace? There are several.  When it broke down a couple miles from the dealer you should have had it taken right back there.  Oh well, shoulda, woulda, coulda.

First bit of advice. The first mechanic does not seem to have an accurate grasp as to what is going on.  Get the engine shroud from him, say thank you for trying, and run away. Next,  Tow the car back to the dealer and pay for an EXACT diagnosis of what is wrong.  Get it in writing. You a either pay them or someone else, but it’s going to take some more $ to get it running.  Could be as simple as a connector left disconnected by the first guy.  Third, if you left the car sitting for 3years and didn’t properly store it (remove/treat fuel system, change oil, etc) you can’t blame the car. Look in the mirror and blame them.  Sorry, but that’s the sad truth...

I truly  hope your luck turns around and things get better for you right away!

8 hours ago, Laraven said:

A 3rd garage just told me its in limp mode and to run the positive and negative posts together for 10 seconds and disconnect the battery for another 10 seconds and then connect it. Resetting the code I guess. 

you do understand that you MUST disconnect the battery BEFORE touching the battery cables together, right? If you don’t the battery could explode.  Personally I don’t think touching cables together does anything. Disconnect the battery for an hour and that should drain any residual power from the various systems and reset everything.

Edited by OhareFred

4 hours ago, OhareFred said:

you do understand that you MUST disconnect the battery BEFORE touching the battery cables together, right? If you don’t the battery could explode.  Personally I don’t think touching cables together does anything. Disconnect the battery for an hour and that should drain any residual power from the various systems and reset everything.

Yeah this didn't work. :(

I hate to keep saying this, but stop throwing parts at it.  It’s costing you big $$. Get it to the dealer, get it checked, and go from there.  Did the dealer let you drive it out of there in limp mode without telling you what was wrong?  Get on the phone with FCA and the dealer owner/general manager and calmly explain what is going on.  There is no way they should have let you leave without giving you a diagnosis of why it is in limp mode. If they did and you left anyway, that’s on you. If they just handed you the keys and showed you the door, it’s on them.

I understand you have $ issues right now, so either let it sit until you can afford the dealer, look it over, or have someone you trust look for disconnected, loose, broken wires etc.  Not too many other options....wish the fix was simple....?

Edited by OhareFred

1 hour ago, OhareFred said:

There is no way they should have let you leave without giving you a diagnosis of why it is in limp mode. If they did and you left anyway, that’s on you. If they just handed you the keys and showed you the door, it’s on them.

Yup, they said nothing to me. I was frantic and freaked out it wouldnt start. Because they confirmed the diagnostics said it was giving computer errors, I assumed a new computer would fix it. They just said I needed a new battery, and then started it and it was all messed up. He said it took it out of garage because it puffed smoke into the garage. That was it. They offered no help or advise while i sat there for 20 mins trying to get it to restart after it stalled. Again, they didnt do the original diagnostics. The first garage did. But as a paying customer, they let me drive off like that.

Garage has it running. He replaced the throttle body. But its still misfiring on one cylinder I guess. It did this before I brought it in to him. He said the computer would fix it last week. Now he is saying he thinks its a wire. Idk could be mouse chewed from sitting in a field i guess.