Windshield washer Fluid low detection

wpginterceptor

REMEMBER.. you cannot use any other washer fluid other than the blue stuff..  if you use the yellow stuff the washer fluid detection sensor cannot detect it and will show low washer fluid warning light on dash!! EVEN WHEN THE JUG IS FULL!!!

Edited by wpginterceptor

On 2020-05-16 at 3:56 PM, 2late4u said:

i have a 2014 crossroad and i only use rain X  the pink washer fluid (winter time) that way dont have to worry about switching over before winter time and have never had any problems with my light coming on unless it gets low

So why does 2late4u not have an issue, would the yellow rainX not also have teflon type additives in it in order to repel the water ? You're not the only person using these type washer fluids I bet, this is the first I've read about this issue here. These are not new products, is it possible the sensor is just getting weaker over time and this type product affects it more ? Like you said, when using blue fluid issue gone, use the blue problem solved. I am going to add some rainx to my washer fluid resevoir now and see what happens.

It’s not a conductivity probe I believe, just a simple float.

Buoyancy could very slightly with alcohol content versus straight water but I doubt it changes trigger point enough to be noticeable.

You probably have a flaky probe.

Only issue I have with my system is passenger side hood sprayer fell apart. Pricy piece of plastic.

Previous owner probably used water as some point.

Edited by John/Horace

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-05-22 at 5:36 AM, probak118 said:

Its been four days now since I added 4 oz of rain-X to my washer fluid reservoir.( rain-x website instructions for adding to washer fluid)...no  low fluid level alarm yet ?  If my windshield beads water better may just keep doing this, unless my low level  light suddenly starts coming on .

mine took a while to start acting up..  went away though right after I put the glue stuff back in

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am just new guy. I thought I make a comment on these,

I have 2016 Dodge Journey 2.4l engine,

Jan 10, 2022 While driving my windshield washer fluid lights on and I just filled up the tank and Yes I used the Yellow stuff not going to mention the name, and my tank originally have the blue color washer fluid,

so I searched on the internet and I came across on these forum, first thing I saw was  @wpginterceptor suggestion but I red the whole thread but what could go wrong if I will try what he said so I decided to follow @wpginterceptor tips.

just today January 11, 2022 but before that while driving to CanadianTire lights came on again, after buying not blue but close it's like Bleu to Green colour,

emptied washer tank and refill it with the new washer liquid like I said not exactly blue but close, blue to almost green, GUESS WHAT THE LIGHTS DID NOT CAME OUT  after driving same distance from CT to Home,

now I am not saying these technique will work for all, just saying it worked for me. Thanks to @wpginterceptor

I will keep observing and update you guys and see how these Yellow liquid really creating problem with washer sensor and if my problem solve.

Thanks all for suggestions and tips

This is what he was cleaning, very clever fix actually. Probably have to drain and remove jug to change part.

Cleaning seems easier, just don’t use wife’s tooth brush;  too cold to sleep in garage this time of year.?

903429A7-56AF-4425-B1F6-C66F6C20730C.jpeg.364029c433d8b64a3e8dfff54bf7edc8.jpegF0A07C3D-A7E6-480B-97BC-3A3F83837B78.jpeg.fb96d2e25df22df9b30855f70853ae1b.jpeg4E8F12AA-1AF7-430F-B2C4-417B9CFB14AE.jpeg.9d72caccaede66906e2336988ad719c2.jpeg

Edited by John/Horace

• 2 weeks later...

I use the green normally. Cheap from Costco by the case.  If you flush out tank in summer you might be able to use the pricy rainX stuff.

Like they are saying, must be some kind of crud on the sensor that affects signal from sensor. The fix seemed to make sense. Can’t imagine Stelantis FCA selling a car with a system that doesn’t accept all windshield wiper fluid.

The low level light on my wife’s Journey has never come on. Not sure it even works. I’ll need to run it low and see.