Have press button 20+ times (only 1 FOB)

Since new on my 2017 (new 18 mo ago), one of the FOBs hasn't worked very well.  Originally, you had to press a button several times before it worked.  Now it is over 20 button presses.  Once it works, all buttons work fine.  It works fine when you use the door button rather than the FOB buttons.  Not the battery.

Anyone else experience this?  I dread taking it to the dealer because they are clueless and will probably just keep pressing a button until it works, then say "There, nothing wrong with it" 

I do have 2 remotes.  The other one works first press every time.  Yesterday the offending remote took 50 button presses before it worked, but today it worked on the first try.  And I do have 1.5 years of warranty left.

Edited by Dadof5

1.5 yrs of warranty ,then use it probally the one remote buttons are not making contact when pushed,maybe something has contaminated the fob housing causing the problems take it apart and try to clean with some electrical contact cleaner if you want to fix it yourself BUT that might void the 1.5 yr warranty you have left good luck

Yeah, I don't want to take it apart and risk them blaming me.  It has done it since new, although it started off with taking 5-10 button pushes before it would work.  It is the spare remote that sits in a drawer most of the time.

I will take it to the dealer but scheduling is a pain.  Plus I just know they will push buttons until it works, then say nothing wrong here.

I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

• Official Dodge Support
On 10/20/2019 at 6:16 AM, Dadof5 said:

Since new on my 2017 (new 18 mo ago), one of the FOBs hasn't worked very well.  Originally, you had to press a button several times before it worked.  Now it is over 20 button presses.  Once it works, all buttons work fine.  It works fine when you use the door button rather than the FOB buttons.  Not the battery.

Anyone else experience this?  I dread taking it to the dealer because they are clueless and will probably just keep pressing a button until it works, then say "There, nothing wrong with it" 

Hello Dadof5,

We understand how frustrating this has been for you, please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If we can be of any assistance send us a direct message.

Lamar 

DodgeCares

• 2 months later...

Update:

The dealer said before even looking at it, they will change the FOB batteries at my expense, even if I put brand new batteries in myself.  So it will cost me about $100 just to take it in.  Screw that.

So I tried doing a car battery reboot.  After that, the FOBs work fine and still do.  So there you go.

Glad it's working, so far.

However, this whole thing does not make sense. All the evidence pointed to the offending fob. For the dealer to tell you they would not cover it under warranty is not acceptable.

Both of my fobs began having issues in the cold weather, at 2 years old. Actually I have 3 and the two original ones, with the remote start, were the problem. I changed both batteries and the problem continued.

I changed both batteries with a quality brand and they have worked flawlessly for a year, regardless of the weather.

For a separate issue, my car battery was also changed due to a bad cell, at only 2 years old. The dealer covered that under warranty.

23 hours ago, 2late4u said:

well he must have been past the 3yr36k warranty and had the extended warranty due to the 100 deductible,,as if you are within the 3 yr /36 there is no ded...   i love how they give us all the info when asking a question...LOL

I said upfront it was new 18 months ago so it is well within the warranty.  Yeah there is no deductible, but they insist on changing the batteries first (probably close to $100 with labour) because batteries are a "maintenance item".  Even if I change them myself, they insist on doing it again.  They also charge $130 if "no fault found".  Like I said, I could press the buttons over and over and nothing, but once it did work, it would work on every press.

1 hour ago, Dadof5 said:

They also charge $130 if "no fault found". 

If the car is under warranty, something found or not, there is no charge.  I would be reporting this dealer to your city’s/states consumer fraud division. Why do people sit back and let dealers walk all over them I’ll never know....

ALTHOUGH, maybe Canada is different.......

Edited by OhareFred

2 hours ago, Dadof5 said:

I said upfront it was new 18 months ago so it is well within the warranty.  Yeah there is no deductible, but they insist on changing the batteries first (probably close to $100 with labour) because batteries are a "maintenance item".  Even if I change them myself, they insist on doing it again.  They also charge $130 if "no fault found".  Like I said, I could press the buttons over and over and nothing, but once it did work, it would work on every press.

yes i read 18 months but you could have been over the mileage,,, we are not mind readers,you was talking about fob batteries ( $3.00 at the most)and they dont cost no 100 ded ,the info you gave us didnt make much sense, good luck and hope it keeps working good for you

Edited by 2late4u