2013 Journey RT AWD Brakes

I just had new brakes put on by a local Dodge dealer and when I got home, I realized they used the smaller brakes.  I had huge ones that had minimal clearance between the rotor and wheel and new ones have almost 3 inches.  Looking for part numbers for the large rotors so I can have all the info when I call Dealer tomorrow (closed by time I noticed the smaller size.)  Thanks!!

this is a easy one go back and demand they put the larger brakes on... actually its hard to imagine that the smaller brakes would fit into the caliper and other bolt holes without replacing a whole lot of parts. something smells fishy here, good luck

Using smaller brakes would entail completely changing out everything, not just the pads. Why in the world would a dealership do that? I would be curious to see a before and after picture, if you happen to have one from before you went to get them done. Maybe your brakes had converts that weren't put back on... and made them look bigger. 

Thank you everyone for the responses.  The dealer is trying to track down what they took off from their recycler, but I'm not holding my breath there.  The Parts department is saying that they ordered the parts by vin and it shows that they are the correct OE parts. They did replace everything including calipers, pads, etc. 

They've also ordered another set of rotors with the same # to see if maybe wrong parts were sent (but I think that would mean all the other parts where wrong.)

I'm not confident that this will be resolved to my satisfaction.  I should get hear something in the morning.

I didn't think to take a before picture as it never occurred to me that something else would be put on. 

I'm the original owner and put 117,000 miles on the OE brakes.  Thanks again.  I'll keep you posted.

@DJgirl, thank you for expanding on what was done (or supposed to be done) on your service. Knowing the entire braking system was being serviced, sure clarifies your suspicion. Regardless of what they say, tell them you want the bigger brakes re-installed... like you previously had. I can see them looking up the VIN and just using the standard replacement although you may have had the upgrade. I had a similar situation with my old Explorer and the alternator. Mine had all the extras that required the 'bigger' alternator, but they installed the compatible basic one. 

Those bigger brakes make a difference. 

as i stated above the smaller brakes were upgraded to the larger ones in 2012, so your 2013 had to have the large pads and large calipers , simple to have them pull the vin # to see the correct parts and comparable to what they put on, going from large to smaller parts would have to involve changing to many extra parts of different sizes to have been done, and  if they still insist they are right be nice and leave and go to a different dodge dealership and explain your problem and have them check it out.

So, not only do I feel confident that they put the wrong brakes on, now I'm thinking I paid way to much for it.  The service advisor didn't call me back yesterday and I was so buy at work I never got a chance to track him now.  I'll be doing that later this morning. 

So, I had my oil changed and the service advisor told me that I needed to have brakes done.  Based on the mileage, I figured that was coming.  They noted on my invoice for the oil change that the front and rear break pads at 2mm and calipers locking up.  I scheduled an appointment for a few days later. 

The invoice for the brakes shows the following (I'll try to attach pictures of invoice for confirmation, but phone is acting up.) I've included the part # where applicable.

Job 1

$675 - Brake Diagnostics

$448.85 -  parts

*2AMV9712AA - Brake Rotor at $141.20 total for for 2

*2AMV3163AA - Front Disc Brake Pad Kit - $96.20

*2AMV4526AA - Rear Disc Brake Pad Kit - $77.25

*2AMV9713AA - Brake Rotor at $134.20 total for 2

($100) - deduction

$1,023.85 - Subtotal for job 1

Job 2

$138 - Flushed complete braking fluid system

$51.95 - SELTEC - DOT 4 brake fluid

$189.95 - Total for job 2

Job 3

$0 - replaced calipers (Warranty)

*68144160AA - Disc Brake Caliper

*68144161AA - Disc Brake Caliper

*68159524AA - Disc Brake Caliper

*68159525AA - Disc Brake Caliper

Job 4

$0 - Rental Car $35 a day plus tax (says charged to warranty but I think dealer ate this as my rental car allowance warranty ended at 100K)

$24.92 - Shop supplies

$813 - Total labor

$500.80 - Total parts

(75.08) - Misc charges ($100 credit on job 1) and $24.92 charge on job 4

$100 - Deductible on Mopar Maximum Lifetime Warranty

$91.97 - Sales tax

$1,430.69 - Total I paid

Thanks for all of the advice.  I'll be contacting dealer shortly.

Edited by DJgirl
spell check

• 1 month later...