Center console 12V outlets not working

Just bought a 2018 Dodge Journey and found out that the center console 12V outlets do not work. I plugged in multiple chargers to see if it was a particular charger, but had the same issue. The outlet under the radio console works fine, its just the 12V outlets inside the console and on the back. Anyone know what could be the problem. Took the car back to the dealership I purchased it at and its been a week and they still cannot figure it out. 

Fred is right.  Any electrical mechanic should be able to find and fix that problem.  If it's not a fuse, then it is likely a broken or disconnected wire.  Run a set of wires from the battery directly to the back of the charger socket.  If it works, and the fuse is okay, then you have a broken wire.

Find another dealer.

mechanical-idiot

Trust me, I am aggravated about this situation just as much as anyone would be. I don’t understand why it is so difficult for them to find the issue. They stated that they replaced the “wires” and it still did not fix the problem. I am picking it back up tomorrow and taking it to the dealer. 

Honestly I don’t know what they did. That’s just what they said. After a week of no answers, I am fed up and picking it up tomorrow. Will never trust CarMax to work on a car again.

1 hour ago, GShealy said:

Honestly I don’t know what they did. That’s just what they said. After a week of no answers, I am fed up and picking it up tomorrow. Will never trust CarMax to work on a car again.

hopefully they are loaning you a car in the mean time while they have it, if not i would demand it

Didn’t realize you bought it at Carmax. When I saw 2018 I figured it was new and you took it to a Dodge dealer.  If you are under 36k miles it’s still under Dodge warranty.  Even so, any half-way decent mechanic should be able to figure this out.  That dealer sucks..

Bought it in April. Only had 15k miles on it. I thought the same thing in regards to it being an easy problem to fix. I have to get a recall fixed at the dealer so may as well have them fix whatever this issue may be. I’m going to be pissed if it happens to be a fuse and they had my car for a week because of that.

25 minutes ago, GShealy said:

Bought it in April. Only had 15k miles on it. I thought the same thing in regards to it being an easy problem to fix. I have to get a recall fixed at the dealer so may as well have them fix whatever this issue may be. I’m going to be pissed if it happens to be a fuse and they had my car for a week because of that.

i assumed you bought it new? and i assumed it was from a dodge dealership?so is this a non dodge dealership trying to fix it?

I bought it from CarMax last month. My wife took it to them because they already had a replacement part for something else there waiting. The current issue was mentioned to them when she dropped off the car and here we are.

If it’s under factory warranty, Carmax will sub it out to the dealer. They are not stupid. Or at least the one by me is not. Why would they waste their time working on something that is covered by factory warranty? You should be asking them that. You can also take it there yourself if they won’t. Any dodge dealer will work on it. What I didn’t read in this post and you have not made clear, is have you tried the outlet with the engine running? Some outlets are only powered when the engine is running. 

They have had my car for a week and cannot figure out the problem for some reason. They stated that if they continue to come up with no answers as to why the outlets are not working, then they WILL send it to the dealer so they can fix it under warranty. I went ahead and explained to them that I will come pick my car up and take it to the dealership myself because there's an open recall that needs to be addressed also. The issue at hand is not a HUGE deal to where the car wont run or anything. I most likely would've never noticed that they were not working if I didn't take a road trip and my backseat passengers said the outlet was not working. I understand that some outlets do work when the car is shut off and some will only work when the car is running. In this case, the problem was noticed as I was driving down the interstate.

So, after a week, if they continue to come up with no answers, they WILL take it to the dealer???????  These guys are pathetic!!!!!  Get it there yourself, and get it fixed properly.  If I were you, I would have a shit storm brewing in me, and it would explode at CarMax as a full category 5.

You need to contact somebody at the head office of CarMax and lodge a formal complaint.  This is totally unacceptable.  Tell them that you might go on a social media rant and rave.  You deserve better service than this.

mechanical-idiot

Edited by mechanical-idiot

I have already expressed my anger with their service department which is why I am picking it up today. I just bought another car from them on Monday for my wife, which is in the process of being delivered any day now. Even though its the service department that is wrong in this, I almost want to blame CarMax as a whole and cancel the sale of this car. What is going to make me blow up completely is when I take it to Dodge and they fix it in a matter of hours! At that time, I may just file that complaint.

Edited by GShealy

Status Update: 

Got home after work and decided to look at the problem myself. Both console 12V outlets work through the battery and runs off a 20amp fuse. I took the fuse out (not blown) and cleaned the connections off. Plugged the fuse back in, and viola, both outlets work! Took me less than a minute to fix compared to a week at CarMax (who could not figure it out)! GO FIGURE!

That's a big negative for Carmax. Great job getting it taken care of. Stick with the Dodge dealer while under warranty. I would actually have the a dodge dealer check fuse box for corrosion while you're doing the recall item. 

Edited by Armando G