Switching To Synthetic?

12 PACK

Hi, Bought our 15 Journey 3.6 4 months ago with 56K on it.  Time for my first oil change with ~ 60K.  Thinking of switching to synthetic, probably Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter.   Found an old thread that mentions using Penzoil instead.  Thoughts or other recommendations?  My guess is we'll be putting 10-12K a year on the Journey.  TIA  

IF you have read your manual that is in the glove box turn to the section for oil changes and it will tell you to ONLY use ms-6395 approved oil......so use any syn oil you want but look for thoes specs....welcome to the group and have a safe New Year with your journey   all the jugs of Mobil 1 that iv looked at does NOT have ms-6395 approved on it any where......it is great oil and if you want to use it i dont believe you would have any problem.It is up to you..

2 hours ago, 2late4u said:

IF you have read your manual that is in the glove box turn to the section for oil changes and it will tell you to ONLY use ms-6395 approved oil......so use any syn oil you want but look for thoes specs....welcome to the group and have a safe New Year with your journey   all the jugs of Mobil 1 that iv looked at does NOT have ms-6395 approved on it any where......it is great oil and if you want to use it i dont believe you would have any problem.It is up to you..

Out of curiosity, I did a Google search and found this on the Jeep Off Road Adventures forum:

"MS-6395 (Material Standards 6395), is a motor oil certification issued by Chrysler and per page 108 of the 2013 JK Wrangler User's Guide is the recommended fill for the 3.6L Pentastar engine. A good number of oils meet MS-6395 but surprisingly Mobil-1 is not among them."

Whether or not that still holds true today it is a good example to always check the Owner's Manual and follow the recommendations of the manufacturer.

Thanks for the welcomes.  Yes, I'll be checking the manual before purchase.  Good info on Mobil.  Good to know.  For those of you using syn, are you using the Mopar filter or something else?  With the 5/100 PT warranty, I won't be using anything I shouldn't. 

You may consider doing the prepaid dealer oil changes.

I can prepay for 2 dealer oil changes with synthetic oil, for $40.00 each. This includes tire rotation.

I can also go thru the Mopar website and prepay for 4 oil changes, with regular oil, for $28.00 each. No tire rotation.

I have not changed the oil myself in the Journey but it is supposed to be incredibly easy. However, given the time spent on labor, buying oil, and disposing of said oil, I have opted to let the dealer handle this vehicle. I also get a vehicle inspection and a maintenance record for any warranty issues. That, in addition to the fact that I am just tired of working on vehicles, makes the dealer offer worth it to me.

YMMV. The biggest issue is whether you have a dealer local that you wish to interact with.

to be honest as easy as it is to change the oil and filters in our journeys id rather do it myself as most quick change places and some dealerships seem to screw it up so bad. putting in the wrong filters, over tighting and cracking the oil cooler unit, not changing out the o rings or forgetting to put the new one back in and using the wrong oil, since it only is done once or twice a yr ill so it my self and KNOW its done right...but $ 40 for a full sny. oil change isn't bad with a tire rotation also, but i still can do it cheaper and then drive it down to the tire store for the free lifetime wheel balance and rotation that i get there.....but i do live in the land of sun and fun in Ala, wearing shorts and flip flops with my jacket on today....LOL i am a damm Yankee if you all know what that means?????

Been using Mobil 1 since 1976 in a new Chevy Nova. Many cars since then including  my 2017 Crossroad Plus. Consistent over the 10 Chrysler products preceding this one, I get minimum sticker mileage though typically 2-3 miles mpg greater. I also check tire pressure frequently.

I also have been using Mobil 1 since July 08 in my 09.  Used whatever oil filter the oil change place uses.  Never had an issue, change every 5k miles.  Same with all my cars.

I buy the oil on sale at CostCo and the oil change place uses it, so I pay about $30 for 6 bottles of oil, and they charge me $25 to change the oil and supply the filter.  Total cost about $55, ends up being 1-2 times per year.....