Replacing water pump 2014 Journey 3.6L

Xyberz

Has anyone attempted to do this and successfully completed this task?  It's such a huge headache to get to the pump and even when u have all the bolts off/loose, it's still being blocked so it can't come out unless u remove/move one of 3 things it seems.  Either the harmonic balancer (the most likely choice), looks like what is the top engine mount, or the A/C compressor.   I assume it would be a bad idea to completely unbolt the top engine mount as the engine might lean over making it nearly impossible to put said bolts back in afterwards?

There are NO videos on YouTube and Google search hasn't resulted in anything for the 3.6L for the Dodge Journey or any inverted Pentastar 3.6L. Would've been nice if these damn designers could've left it straight like they do in the V6 Durango so it would be a million times easier to work on.

Thank you for the link.  I've literally done almost everything except yank out the water pump out after all the bolts were loosened.  I was just asking really if anyone knew the best way to physically remove it from it's mounted position once you do unbolt it.  I think the best option is gonna be by removing the harmonic balancer which you can rent the tool from an auto parts store for free with a deposit.  I don't think the other 2 methods I suggested would be logical. So I technically have almost done about 50% of the repair.  But since I didn't have the right tool I had to put it back together.  

When I get the tool I think I'll make a video since there is none available anywhere and not even posted in any forum.

Edited by Xyberz

of course it has a serpentine belt they all do but you all  were talking timing belts  you also need to change out the belt tensioner as well as a lot of time the lose the correct tension after the belt being removed and then reinstalled, it  happened to my dads van good luck on the repair and make a video for you tube and be a star.

Our vehicle has a little over 60K miles and I'm not hearing any kind of funny noises and the original belt is still technically good but I'm replacing the belt regardless.  Why should i replace the tensioner if it has no signs of malfunctioning?  The tension on the belt is still stiff like it's supposed to be, at least IMO.  There also is no rust on it either.  I'm sure it's a good idea to replace it should you have any doing of it not functioning as it should and/or it's visibly damaged but in our case none of that applies.

Obviously nothing, just not always into replacing things that look and seem to be working perfectly fine possibly much sooner than required.  I mean honestly the belt looks like it could easily last at least another 10k miles as it has no cracks anywhere and there's a decent amount of groove left, but I'm replacing it anyways.  The cost is just adding up quickly once you start with "while you're in there replace this and that" mentality you know?  If that's truly the case then I should just replace the damper pulley too since I'm taking it out anyways?  

Correct me if I'm wrong?  

the advise i gave about replacing the belt tensioner was given to my father yrs ago by a dodge dealership he had had a new alt put on so he also had them do the belt they didnt advise to replace the tensioner and while he was on a trip about a week later, out of town the belt came off and he had it towed into the local dodge dealership and they asked him didnt they tell you to replace the tensioner when doing the other work and said no why? the manger explained that when you take the belt off the tensioner a lot of times they go bad and or dont go back to full pressure that they are supposed to be . anyways they fixed my dads van gave him a new belt and all he had to pay was for the new tensioner they, didnt even charged him labor just the price of the belt as they said it should have been suggested to him the first time........do want you want and hopefully you wont have any problems..... good luck.

1 hour ago, Xyberz said:

Just a valid question. You truly think it should be replaced at this time with 66k miles?

do you travel thur a lot of snow and salt during the winter. depends on how it looks and what you think 66 k is not that much but it is going on 5 yrs old

No, this car came all the way from Hawaii with us and now we are in Vegas. We don't drive anywhere with snow and Cali is the only place we typically drive to now besides here at home.  And I do appreciate the advice, environmental factors definitely made a big difference one intervals of when things need to be replaced.  For example here there's a ton of dust flying around all the time even if it's not always visible so that definitely affects parts like it wouldn't like back in Hawaii.  Then again Hawaii had tons of humidity 95% of the time that will affects things differently.  I see where you're coming from though.

Never heard of changing a perfectly good operating tensioner pulley just because your are changing the cerpintine belt .  You change that when or if  it ever starts making noise from bearing failure, easy change generally any way.  I hear what they are saying ( water pump when timing is done - yes ).  As you mentioned, where do you stop then ? Good luck with timing belt , water pump and belt change.

2 hours ago, 2late4u said:

mighty be a great forum section to have videos of JUST journey repair videos, would be a great help to a lot of owners, dont believe other blogs have a section of  just for videos on repairs...what do you think Jkeaton?

We have a DIY section. Something different?

https://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/forum/60-maintenance-dyi/