Soft suspension / driving a boat

Hey guys.. just got my '09 Journey STX / FWD and overall I love the vehicle. I've got a couple of upgrades I want to do, and one of those things into figure out how to stiffen up the suspension. It feels more like driving a Cadillac with Air-Ride as I'm going down the road it just rolls like a ship on the sea. Any suggestions? I don't want to lower it, as I plan to switch out to BFG KO2's (17" rims) before winter for better traction in the snow, as the "street" tires that came on it pretty well suck.

Thanks!

So you want to make it ride like a dump truck?  

Just kidding, I have an 09 R/T and think it rides nice and smooth but has a good road feel. May you can change the struts to those used on the R/T’s.  Should be bolt in....

I can tell you now the RT struts won’t make it feel like a F250 or a Wrangler. This is a car, not a truck.  It’s not a camero or a mustang either.  Maybe you need to go to a spring shop that can make something for you.  Not a lot of options available like there is for Jeep.  Good luck!

There are a few things you can do actually... Check if the shocks have been changed, these wear down over time and can make the suspension feel sponge-like. Also the SXT has smaller rims, which means the tire has more sidewall and can make the ride softer. Larger rims with less sidewall would make the ride more stiff. Given the age I would guess the shocks need to be changed out anyway if they haven't already been. 

23 minutes ago, lmoore1436 said:

There are a few things you can do actually... Check if the shocks have been changed, these wear down over time and can make the suspension feel sponge-like. Also the SXT has smaller rims, which means the tire has more sidewall and can make the ride softer. Larger rims with less sidewall would make the ride more stiff. Given the age I would guess the shocks need to be changed out anyway if they haven't already been. 

I agree about the tires and sidewalls, but I'm planning to replace the standard street tires (which frankly suck in anything other than dry roads) with a BFGoodrich KO2 to improve traction in all weather, especially winter. I live in MD and we have snow, so traction is important. I can't put the KO2's on the 19" rims, so the 17" rims have to stay. 

40 minutes ago, Nathan_K said:

I agree about the tires and sidewalls, but I'm planning to replace the standard street tires (which frankly suck in anything other than dry roads) with a BFGoodrich KO2 to improve traction in all weather, especially winter. I live in MD and we have snow, so traction is important. I can't put the KO2's on the 19" rims, so the 17" rims have to stay. 

Makes sense! If you want to look into the shocks an easy way to test them is by grabbing the roof rail and rocking the car side to side, if after you stop rocking it continues to move (even a little bit) they should be replaced. 

• 2 weeks later...

i put h&r lowering springs on my 2010. and i also put all new front steering and suspension parts. made a pretty good difference. some of it was just due to worn out parts, but the springs definitely make it feel much better, there's less bounce and it feels so much better when going through turns.

i know you said you don't want to lower but you also said it was because of the tires? it only lowers about an inch or so and your tires aren't going to be rubbing anything.

and it looks better lowered as well

• 5 months later...

When I replaced my struts on my dodge journery 2011 I used KYB strut. I didn't like the ride either before, was way too soft for me but struts were worned out so it didn't help (Original suspension). It was so stiff after that every other parts began to fall apart lol. I'm rebuilding the front. There'is an inner tie rod that has become loose and lower control arm needs replacement (talking about soft bushings)