Changing the transfer case fluid? 12 RT AWD

Rivmaster91

Hello everyone,

New to this forum, but not to vehicle forums in general.

I am looking to change the transfer case fluid (AKA 'Power Transfer Unit fluid change') in our 2012 Dodge Journey RT AWD & apparently from what I have learned, this is one heck of a job. 

Easy to drain the old fluid out but a huge pain to get the new/fresh fluid back in (various parts in the way of the fill hole & very labor intensive to make room in order to get the new fluid in etc).

I would like to ask members (any tech feedback would be awesome) who have done this service, if there is an easy way to complete this service without having to disassemble / remove a lot of parts in order to change the transfer case fluid or perhaps a specific tool / part one can use to make life easier?  :headscratch:

Any help with specific details would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

Edited by Rivmaster91
added content

Thank you 2late :)

Based on my research (and I am not coming into this blind so to speak) one has to take apart / disassemble quite a few items including a heat shield, among other components just to get at the fluid fill hole which is very frustrating (again, the draining is no problem...but the fill hole is completely blocked).  

My trusted mechanic (whom I've had for pushing 11 years now & has never hesitated performing any type of maintenance / service / repairs to my current 2012 Dodge Charger 'Blacktop' or our recently purchased 12 Journey RT AWD, and a few vehicles prior).

I have no issues taking the vehicle to the dealer...that is not the issue (although I cringe at the labor charges to put less than a quart of fluid in). :rant2:

Am I the only one that has asked about how to change this fluid on their AWD Journey?   Do my fellow AWD owners simply drive them & hope they get lucky without the PTU failing? 

I know there is no such thing as a 'life long fluid' in any automobile....that simply means 'the life of the warranty' ;) 

Part of it is definitely how this has been engineered I suppose...

• 2 years later...

Differential Assembly Fluid Change

STANDARD PROCEDURE - DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY FLUID CHANGE
JS RDA MOUNT FILL AND DRAIN

JS RDA MOUNT FILL AND DRAIN

The drain plug (2) for the differential assembly is located in the bottom of the differential assembly case, toward the rear of the unit.

The fill plug (3) for the differential assembly is located on the left side of the assembly case.

The correct fill level is to the bottom of the fill plug hole. Be sure the vehicle is on a level surface, or is hoisted in a level manner, in order to obtain the correct fill level.

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

2. Position a drain pan under the differential drain plug.

3. Remove the drain plug and allow the fluid to drain into the pan.

4. Install the drain plug and torque to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).

5. Re-position the drain pan under the differential fill plug.

6. Remove the differential fill plug.

7. Using a suction gun or equivalent, fill the differential assembly with 0.7 L (0.74 Quarts) of Mopar® Gear and Axle Lubricant (75W-90).

8. Install the fill plug and torque to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).

Fluid Drain & Fill

STANDARD PROCEDURE - PTU FLUID DRAIN/FILL
  1. Raise vehicle on hoist.

GUID-21-016-000-891003.gif

Remove bolt (1) from lower part of PTU heat shield (2).

GUID-21-016-000-891082.gif

Using a long prybar remove the retaining clip (1) from the side of the PTU heat shield (2).

NOTE

Position the PTU heat shield aside as necessary

GUID-21-016-000-891643.gif

Remove PTU drain plug (1). Drain fluid into suitable container.

Install drain plug (1) and torque to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).

GUID-21-016-000-2566407.gif

A 10mm hex bit 7/8" long (1) and a ratcheting box angle wrench (2) will be required to remove the PTU fill plug.

GUID-21-016-000-2566505.gif

NOTE

Position the PTU heat shield aside as necessary

Using the ratcheting box angle wrench (1) and hex bit (3) remove the PTU fill plug (2).

GUID-21-016-000-891622.gif

Use a gear lube pump (1) to fill PTU. (Refer to Vehicle Quick Reference/Capacities and Recommended Fluids - Specifications).

Install fill plug and torque to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).

GUID-21-016-000-891082.gif

Reposition the PTU heat shield (2) to the side of the PTU, and install a new retaining clip (1).

GUID-21-016-000-891003.gif

Reposition the PTU heat shield (2) to the bottom of the PTU, and install bolt (1). Tighten to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.).

Lower vehicle.