• 1 month later...

Are these expensive to replace?  I am afraid to call the dealer.  My poor poor heart!

We have been having a problem lately with both keys FOBS.  Sometimes the car will start, and sometimes it will not.  I can stand right beside the vehicle and it will not start.  Then 10 minutes later, it will start with the FOB.  The lights will sometimes flash and I think it unlocks the doors, but will not start the vehicle.  As I have said, it is random, so you never know when it will start or not.  So I am just guessing that it is the RFHUB and not both FOBs??????????  I really know nothing at all, so any advice is welcome.

I think somebody has a voodoo model of our vehicle and is sticking pins in it.  We have had a ton of bad luck since purchasing it, but we still love it.

Thanks for your help.

mechanical-idiot

$175 Canadian for the RFHUB plus 15% taxes plus 1 hour labor (for a 10 minute job) for a grand total of $316.00 Canadian at the Chrysler dealer.  

Apparently they are plug and play.  Engine size etc. does not matter, but year does.  Ours is a 2012, so only a 2011 and 2012 RFHUB will work for our vehicle.

I am going to go to the local auto wrecker and purchase one.  They have a 2012 there that was damaged in an accident.  It is $60.00 Canadian plus 15% tax, which is a significant savings compared to the dealer.

I think I can install it myself, despite the fact that I am a moron.  The video seems straight forward.  Thanks for posting it.

I will let you know if it fixes the problem.  Hopefully it does.

Hope everyone has a great day.

mechanical-idiot

Hmmmmm - I suspect you may wind up unhappy with one from a wrecked vehicle because they are where the keyfobs information is stored and you can't learn in a used FOB.

I think the dealer may possibly have left something our - IIRC the hub needs to be learned into the system, as well.

Thanks.  I really appreciate the time you took to give me this advice.

I just called Mopar before reading your post, and you are absolutely correct.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/product-details.html?partId=82215575AB

1-888-528-4364

They told me the same information that you just did.  It has to be programmed and a used one will not just plug and play, even if you get the FOBs that worked with the used one.  They recommend a new unit be installed.  Installing a used unit could cause other "problems" they said.  I did not ask for an elaboration.

So, off to the dealer to spend a pile more money.  This vehicle is killing us slowly.

One thing I did learn from the above video is the FCC ID.  If you are purchasing a new FOB from a site on the net (not the dealer), you need the FCC ID number from your RFHUB to purchase the proper FOBs.  That number is on the cover of the RFHUB.  So, all is not lost.  At least this info may help someone else.  When I called the dealer about 3 months ago asking them where I could find this number, nobody could tell me.  We were going to purchase an extra FOB, but ended up not doing it because we could not find our FCC ID number.

mechanical-idiot

Be also aware that the RF hub is included with the OEM remote starter kit - and that kit comes with 2 key fobs. It still needs to be learned into the vehicle, but if you didn't have remote start you will now - you can usually find the kits on Ebay for about $265 . . . . interesting enough I don't see any there now . . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Does the RF hub receive its signals with the radio antenna .

Does the RF hub receive its signals with the radio antenna as this antenna and the hub are mounted in the same location.

I ask this because my AM radio reception is crap and so is my remote reception.

As an old car stereo installer from way back , i know a faulty ant. will cause this type of trouble.

Any takers ?