Chrysler Pentastar engine family tell me more please

Journeyrocks

I have seen alot on here about the Chrysler Pentastar engine family and being 87 octain gas. Most all of my knowledge is older engine's where octain did matter and made them run better, performance, cleaner all that stuff could yall explain this new technology a little more please 

new engines are like older engines if it isnt tuned for prem then it isnt needed, and wont help   some prem gases contain cleaners that might help kept your injectors cleaner than reg gas might, that might help if you have dirty injectors but not from the added octane but believe what you want....

exactly what 2late4u stated... It is tuned to run on 87 octane, but the additives in 89 and up can help keep the injectors cleaner. The difference is minimal though, as is the  gas mileage increase. These engines were built to run off 87 octane, no need to pay more for 89 or above. Down the road as you put on more miles the higher octane might help, but until about 75k or more miles it won't make a difference. 

I use premium for the cleaning properties and the fact that it does not contain ethanol.  Not a fan of that.  Since I drive so little (only about 10,000 km's per year) the cost difference doesn't bother me.  Here, and in most places, regular and mid grade has ethanol in it.

On a side note, I've had more than one small engine dealer tell me to only use premium without ethanol in small engines like snowblowers, lawnmowers, weed trimmers and blowers.  Premium stores better, and personally I had nothing but trouble with a carb. on my gas weed eater, but on the dealers recommendation switched to premium and the issues disappeared. 

H.P.

15 hours ago, larryl said:

I use the Lucas bottle once a month or so

I had been using Lucas in my Nissan Xterra for some time and could really feel the difference in throttle response and how smooth the engine worked. However, that resulted in both catalytic converter going bad, not too long after I started doing that. Can't say with 100% certainty, but also read about that happening in other automotive forums. So, use at your own risk. 

• 8 months later...

In the U.S. the EPA has made it law that ALL octane fuel will contain additives, as a dirty engine creates more HC. The extra money you pay for higher octane fuel is in effect a waste, and has been proven. In fact one test on a dyno and emission test showed that the 91 octane actually had more unburnt fuel as a result of all the additives and there gave worse emissions. 

As far as fuel additives goes I would be very careful. Actually I now use none. Having had several Dodge trucks, I used various engine cleaners and additives and the result was a plugged up EGR every time. I don't have the pics any longer but the EGR valve piston was sealed shut with black, burnt debris.