Tire Advice Needed Please

jshabouk

Good Morning All,

I could use some advice on new tires for my  2015 Journey SXT.  At 38k miles, the Kumho Solus KH16's it came with will not pass inspection this month.  Size is 225/60/17.  I have gotten advice on some options and was wondering if they are good tires for the price, or if there are better options out there.  Please see the attached spreadsheet for specs.    Tires Post Data.xlsx

I am leaning toward either the Hercules Cross-V or the Toyo Open Country.  Are these good tires for the money, or are there better options out there?

Thanks,

Joe

Tires Post Data.xlsx

I just go with the cheapest tire with the best tread life (and ones on special, like BOGO, or buy a set of 4 and get a $100 prepaid visa card) . After our Kuhmo's wore out at @45,000 miles, we replaced with Cooper Discoverer. Discount tire gave us a $100 gift card, so it worked out to @$500 mounted and lifetime rotation/balance. 

also when you put the best tires on they still can get ruined by your alignment as that has just happened to me ,my rear tires started wearing on the inside of the tires from the rear aliment went bad and i rotate and balance my tires every 10k but by the time i noticed it both rear tires are quite wore down on just the inside of them and it is hard to see that while they are on the car also with the alignment out of wack the car didnt change the way it was riding it didnt pull or run bad. so i expect to get maybe about another 10k out of them but i have 32k on them now and they were rated for 70k on the warranty of course even the fronts wouldn't have made that amount either. these 19 tires just dont seam to last like the 17 inch on i had on my 2011 journey did i got 65 k on them...so this next time i am going to do what jkeaton said  and go with the beal deal i can get ... i am running cooper cs5 touring tires now....

Thanks for the advice.  I've been calling around all over...apparently, tires have gone up in the past 3 years since I bought them.  Anything halfway decent is easily >$500 to install.  And no one has any decent promos (even the buy 3 get 1 and buy 2 get 2 promos have required installation packages that add back the "free" tire(s) price and then some (by a lot).  Seems like my local guy (with tax) has better prices than other places.  The only thing I found that was right at the $500 installed price point were Sumitomo Enhance L/X.  Only problem is they got 5/10 in snow performance...in New England, that's not great.  Oh well...time to sell a kidney.

1 hour ago, jshabouk said:

Any other suggestions from you all would be greatly appreciated.  You guys/gals are more knowledgeable than the pros!  Love this site!!!

Thanks again,

Joe

discount tire always runs a great sale on tires during a holiday( thanksgiving coming up) you pay reg price on a set of 4 tires and they usually have at least $ 65-100 rebates from the manufacture plus an extra $ 65-75 rebate from them and if you use their credit card (easy to apply and get immediately approved) you get an extra $30-65  rebate they also ship the tires for free. Plus no sales tax unless your state requires it... have bought 2 sets from them and you get them within 3-5 days .... tire rack you have to pay for the shipping....

Edited by 2late4u

So my problem with waiting till the holiday is that I am going out of town next thursday through the end of the month....and i need to get my inspection sticker done by next wednesday...my current tires will fail the inspection.

Edited by jshabouk
typo fix

well if your into saving money all cites have some garage selling takeoff tires from wreck or whatever, i have bought them with no problem last set i put on my 2011 main street same size i believe as what you quoted , they had about 75-80 percent tread left on them and most places give you 30 -90 day warranty on them and can be bought for about half price that new tires cost, my problem with my 2014 crossroad i have the 19 inch rims and they dont get them as of yet...

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is kinda old, but i wanted to share my excitement about the new tires I ordered for my 2010 dodge journey.   I needed something good in the rain since sw florida gets lots of rain in rainy season and these sound great!!  I will let you know after I get them on. 

BTW, since i do not know when the last alignment was, you think it would be best to get that done while I get the tires put on and balanced?  I just got the journey a few weeks ago and the past maintenance info was not shared with me.  Its at 98k miles.  I'm thinking its best to align and balance during the tire change.

There is a slight vibration reaching 60mph but seems to stay pretty straight hands free  :)

mpn T429348

Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 225/70R16XL 107T

Everyone reviewing say they are excellent!

The Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 is a premium All-Season tire that has excellent wet grip, a smooth and quiet ride, long tread life, great handling and good winter grip when compared to other Premium All-Season tires. The second generation eNTYRE 2.0 is designed specifically for North America to give drivers the ultimate in safety, comfort and performance in an environmentally friendly tire. 

372455-performanceallseasontires-nokian-entyre20[1].jpg

Edited by mrsray

I replaced the original Kumhos last year on my 2012 Journey 2.4l, also have a separate set of ordinary winter tires on rims.

Bought 4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires and they are amazing, I never would have thought tires would make such a difference, they are super smooth for highway or city, even just going over bumps I feel a HUGE improvement from the Kumhos, if they cost a bit more I don't care to me they are worth it. Got an alignment and will be getting an alignment annually to protect these babies. Don't remember the cost though, around $800-900 all in? Gotta look for the receipt. 

i agree its worth paying a lill more for good tires ... just had my nokian entyre 2.0s put on and so far so good.

tires were 430$ including tax and shipping + $80 for tire mounting balance, (20 p/tire)

not the price of 'premium' tires but not the cheapies either

Going next week to get the alignment so not sure the cost on that

but so far, my ride is at $510 ... which is sooooooo worth it in the rainy season of sw fl

plus, with 60k mile warranty, that should easily last me a few years  :)  before i have to get more

haven't heard of Pirelli Scorpion Verde ... did you buy them for the comfort?  for a certain kind of weather?

Edited by mrsray

• 1 month later...