CAI and caliper paint

I pieced together an air intake and primed and painted my original calipers.  The intake was pretty easy.   Items needed were the pipe, filter, coupler and hose clamp, and brass fitting for the small hose coming from the motor that was connected to the original air cleaner box.  I went with a 3.5” pipe, coupler and clamp.  Painting the calipers was easy.  Take the wheels off, put a couple coats of VHT caliper primer on, and then a couple coats of VHT black caliper paint on the calipers and anything else you want to spray while your down there.  Lol. I can honestly say, the caliper paint made a big difference visually.  

C8FB8805-25C7-4B09-AB99-0FE920B68177.jpeg

B66F4723-D18A-4978-8466-8505B090E58A.jpeg

7E4A2549-7D2D-42CE-8948-1967B024C55D.jpeg

C06970A0-55F1-4D55-A8E4-87F3C3ADC539.jpeg

355363C1-D06B-4B09-91B1-4E2CBD87DDBA.jpeg

29 minutes ago, jkeaton said:

Nice hot air intake! :congrats:

About that....lol.  I left the piece that flowed the outside air into the stock air cleaner box.  My plan moving forward is to have a heat shield built, similar to others sent with aftermarket intakes or filters.  I have a guy that is good at working with metal materials.  I'd like to have a hole with rubber around it for the piece with air flowing in from the front and the same rubber to meet the hood as well.  We'll see how it turns out.  :play:

3 hours ago, WytChoclitJ said:

About that....lol.  I left the piece that flowed the outside air into the stock air cleaner box.  My plan moving forward is to have a heat shield built, similar to others sent with aftermarket intakes or filters.  I have a guy that is good at working with metal materials.  I'd like to have a hole with rubber around it for the piece with air flowing in from the front and the same rubber to meet the hood as well.  We'll see how it turns out.  :play:

If you took the time to do that, yes, that might make a minor difference for the intake.  If nothing else, you've removed a bend in the airflow from the leading edge of the hood to the filter.  To accomplish the full removal of that bend, you need to completely remove the rest of the original intake (that now disconnected black plastic box) and mold something to fit in it's place.

2 hours ago, bfurth said:

If you took the time to do that, yes, that might make a minor difference for the intake.  If nothing else, you've removed a bend in the airflow from the leading edge of the hood to the filter.  To accomplish the full removal of that bend, you need to completely remove the rest of the original intake (that now disconnected black plastic box) and mold something to fit in it's place.

Are you talking about the piece that starts at the edge of the hood and drops about 18 inches and used to flow into the bottom of the air cleaner box?  If so, that thought crossed my mind, I just haven't come up with an idea to get the flow straight from the edge of the hood to filter itself.  Then my thought process went to just trying to keep the air cooler.  Which is why I ended up leaving that piece in for now and could build up around it to try and keep out heat.  I'm open to suggestions though.  If one idea doesn't do it, a combination of ideas could.

1 minute ago, WytChoclitJ said:

Are you talking about the piece that starts at the edge of the hood and drops about 18 inches and used to flow into the bottom of the air cleaner box?  If so, that thought crossed my mind, I just haven't come up with an idea to get the flow straight from the edge of the hood to filter itself.  Then my thought process went to just trying to keep the air cooler.  Which is why I ended up leaving that piece in for now and could build up around it to try and keep out heat.  I'm open to suggestions though.  If one idea doesn't do it, a combination of ideas could.

One would think that removing the original intake and replacing it with a conical filter surrounded by a metal box would lead to a slightly increased temperature compared to the original intake because metal is a better conductor of heat than plastic.  Surrounding your conical filter with a metal box that is still tied to the same front facing intake leaves you with the same air flow, if not even worse depending on how you build it.  If you insulated it (on the outside of said box - you don't want that insulation to fail and clog your filter) with non-flammable materials, you might have a minor performance gain over OEM.  It needs to be sealed up tight all the way around or it's going to draw in hot air from the engine bay.

Fabricating something that eliminates the foot or so drop and bend would possibly be beneficial.  But the point remains - the OEM intake is a true cold air intake in that it draws in air that has not passed over the radiator nor has it gotten anywhere near the engine before passing through the air filter and intake manifold.

7 minutes ago, bfurth said:

One would think that removing the original intake and replacing it with a conical filter surrounded by a metal box would lead to a slightly increased temperature compared to the original intake because metal is a better conductor of heat than plastic.  Surrounding your conical filter with a metal box that is still tied to the same front facing intake leaves you with the same air flow, if not even worse depending on how you build it.  If you insulated it (on the outside of said box - you don't want that insulation to fail and clog your filter) with non-flammable materials, you might have a minor performance gain over OEM.  It needs to be sealed up tight all the way around or it's going to draw in hot air from the engine bay.

Fabricating something that eliminates the foot or so drop and bend would possibly be beneficial.  But the point remains - the OEM intake is a true cold air intake in that it draws in air that has not passed over the radiator nor has it gotten anywhere near the engine before passing through the air filter and intake manifold.

This is true.  I'll think on it more and see where my imagination takes me idea wise.  For now, it looks good and sounds alright.  I'd still like some cooler air without the stock air box look.  lol

10 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

just wondering do you think the way it was made taking air in at the top them going downward then into the air box might have been designed to keep water from being sucked into the filter. if it comes straight into the filter causing problems ?

There's also a gasket in front of the factory intake inlet that keeps the largest bits of debris out.  The front edge of the hood will keep most water out as well.  After that, suction takes over.  A little bit of water won't cause any problems (these engines work fine in the 90% humidity of Baltimore!).  Just don't open a garden hose into the intake...

14 hours ago, WytChoclitJ said:

@2late4u I did think about that and was going to research further.  Thanks for that input @bfurth.  Where exactly is that gasket?  In the portion I left, removed, or closer to the throttle body?

It's more like the kind of gasket you see on a door frame.  It's on the hood, directly in line with the opening for the intake.

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2017 at 6:13 PM, Bryman31 said:

i like the caliper paint.  did you paint them while on the vehicle or remove them?

Thanks @Bryman31!  My Journey was previously owned in Michigan.  So, I sprayed the calipers while on the vehicle and sprayed all the visible suspension parts as well.  It definitely made a difference over the "rusty" look.

• 6 months later...
On 10/23/2017 at 5:59 PM, bfurth said:

There's also a gasket in front of the factory intake inlet that keeps the largest bits of debris out.  The front edge of the hood will keep most water out as well.  After that, suction takes over.  A little bit of water won't cause any problems (these engines work fine in the 90% humidity of Baltimore!).  Just don't open a garden hose into the intake...

Snacka Snacka WHAT?????? I'd agree whole heartedly. Didn't know there were any more of us on this forum(admittedly, I didn't look too hard).

• 1 year later...
On 10/22/2017 at 6:39 PM, WytChoclitJ said:

I pieced together an air intake and primed and painted my original calipers.  The intake was pretty easy.   Items needed were the pipe, filter, coupler and hose clamp, and brass fitting for the small hose coming from the motor that was connected to the original air cleaner box.  I went with a 3.5” pipe, coupler and clamp.  Painting the calipers was easy.  Take the wheels off, put a couple coats of VHT caliper primer on, and then a couple coats of VHT black caliper paint on the calipers and anything else you want to spray while your down there.  Lol. I can honestly say, the caliper paint made a big difference visually.  

C8FB8805-25C7-4B09-AB99-0FE920B68177.jpeg

B66F4723-D18A-4978-8466-8505B090E58A.jpeg

7E4A2549-7D2D-42CE-8948-1967B024C55D.jpeg

C06970A0-55F1-4D55-A8E4-87F3C3ADC539.jpeg

355363C1-D06B-4B09-91B1-4E2CBD87DDBA.jpeg

So you bought the ebay kit while I fitted an actual dyno proven cold air intake. Lol. K&N intake on my 2018 crossroad 3.6L

20190826_064424.jpg

I actually made my intake with 3.5 inch diameter tubing to get more air than that of the smaller diameter tubing eBay and K&N intake.  K&N does not make an intake set up for the 2018 Dodge Journey.  Later I actually went away with the “CAI” set up for a aftermarket tubing that runs from the stock air box to the throttle body.  Eliminating all that restrictive black plenum before your throttle body.  I also added a ported throttle body and upper and lower intake manifold.  That’s where the noticeable throttle response and power came into play.  I’ll take my setup over your proven K&N CAI any day. Lol

087B1E96-10F2-49FE-A117-BA546D5A34D0.jpeg

8331675D-1DD8-4CDD-BF1F-EE470B8D8152.jpeg

13 minutes ago, AzJourney2018 said:

The intake kit I have is actually for the 2011-2104 dodge avenger with the 3.6L or the chrysler 200 but cant remember the year range on that 

That sounds about right. I think that was the closest kit I found for figment when I was researching also. 

On 9/29/2019 at 7:09 AM, WytChoclitJ said:

I actually made my intake with 3.5 inch diameter tubing to get more air than that of the smaller diameter tubing eBay and K&N intake.  K&N does not make an intake set up for the 2018 Dodge Journey.  Later I actually went away with the “CAI” set up for a aftermarket tubing that runs from the stock air box to the throttle body.  Eliminating all that restrictive black plenum before your throttle body.  I also added a ported throttle body and upper and lower intake manifold.  That’s where the noticeable throttle response and power came into play.  I’ll take my setup over your proven K&N CAI any day. Lol

087B1E96-10F2-49FE-A117-BA546D5A34D0.jpeg

8331675D-1DD8-4CDD-BF1F-EE470B8D8152.jpeg

Nice. Where did you source those from.

The intake tube is RPM motorsports out of Arizona.  The ported throttle body and upper/lower intake manifold were from Modern Muscle Extreme out of Virginia.  I was actually looking just looking at there site and now they have a 80mm hemi throttle body kit.  Now that’s exciting!  I wish I still had my RT Journey.