2015 Journey Tires w/ 20300 miles and they are crap

glwitzel

If you are thinking under warranty good luck. Tires are warrantied by the tire manufacturer not Dodge. My orginal Kumo tires were the worst tires Ive ever had and would rather use stone then Kumo. I got about 33,000 miles on mine before I bought a set of Michelins. Now thats a good tire.

I got 40000 out of mine. No complaints. Some people have good luck, some have bad. Many factors influence tire longevity. OEM or aftermarket. Do some searching in this section. There are plenty of threads discussing the OEM kumhos. Seems to be about 50-50 on wearing quick or lasting. However, as stated, tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer. Not the vehicle manufacturer. If you bought it new, there will be a separate tire warranty guide in your glovebox.

Edited by jkeaton

well i got close to 60k on my 17 inch kuhmos never had any problem with them, i have a 2014 now with the 19 inch kumhos and have about 33k on these but they are getting close to the tread bar and one of them is almost there, don't know why that one wore more then the others as it is evenly wore across the whole tread. anyways that is what i've experienced with both of my journeys rotated the tires every oil change and not a lot of so called city driving and a lot of interstate travel. always keep my tires at about 37 psi. Would have like to have got more wear out of this last set don't know if its because of them being a bigger size or what. What size are your tires? and when you do change you will have to go to a bigger size ( If you have the 19) to get a lot of different kinds of tires to pick from......

Wow. Being on this forum since 2011, I've seen a lot of posts regarding tires. Too many. Some love the kumhos some hate them. I think the kumho solus tires are a good tire. I forget how many miles I got out of mine. 40,000? Anyway, when tires wear out you get new ones. That's just how it works. Did you complain on a triathlon forum last time your nikes wore out? Doubt it. There are nike and addidas people in this world. If your nikes wear out, then get some addidas. Hope it's better.

Peace.

I have a new Journey and my tires omly have 20300 miles on them and they are crap. What is the process of getting new tires by the dealership?

Also, just to answer your question directly, you go to the dealer and buy new tires. That is the process for getting new tires from the dealership. However; you would probably get tires cheaper by shopping around.

Yes. Not hearsay on the internet; threads here on this forum. Remember my concern of driving in the winter? This is the first non-4wd vehicle that I have had in over 20 years, and was concerned about winter driving performance. The Khumos had absolutely no wet traction at all, in the rain. I had to feather the throttle to keep the tires from spinning, and the car not wanting to go straight ahead. (Dreaded torque steer) So, I went with Bridgestone Duelers, the same tires I had on my Nitro and their winter performance was awesome.

In retrospect, when I saw this Copperhead Pearl beauty, I should have asked my Dealer to locate me one in AWD. But, I had no issues at all last winter, and the same performance, so far, this winter. I think that AWD would have given me a false sense of security, but then, again, I'm not hauling the extra weight!

well i got close to 60k on my 17 inch kuhmos never had any problem with them, i have a 2014 now with the 19 inch kumhos and have about 33k on these but they are getting close to the tread bar and one of them is almost there, don't know why that one wore more then the others as it is evenly wore across the whole tread. anyways that is what i've experienced with both of my journeys rotated the tires every oil change and not a lot of so called city driving and a lot of interstate travel. always keep my tires at about 37 psi. Would have like to have got more wear out of this last set don't know if its because of them being a bigger size or what. What size are your tires? and when you do change you will have to go to a bigger size ( If you have the 19) to get a lot of different kinds of tires to pick from......

Mine are the 19" tires. Never thought the tires would were so different between sizes. Interesting!

What I did was go to both discount tire and tire rack, searched for tires that fit and started reading reviews. I ended up with Falkens because of the reviews I read that were similar to my driving style and driving conditions and also talking to the tire installer.

Edited by jkeaton

Regular rotation is very important to extending the life of most tires. Our Journey has the 19" Kumhos. They have been rotated every 10K miles. We have over 52,000 miles on the car now and I'm ready to replace them. They are not bald, but down to about 3/32" all the way around. I have another set at my shop ready to be installed.

Kumho is a decent lower line tire. They're not michelins so they're not going to last 70-90k miles. REGULAR rotations (every 6,000 miles?), keeping your tires pressures in check AND having your alignment checked every 6 months is the best way to get the most out of any tire.

Tip: when checking tire pressures......do NOT reference the tire pressure on the tire itself. That is the MAX pressure for "seating the bead". Look in your door jam and it will tell you the tire pressures that your tires need to be at. I have the kumhos and I'm switching to Michelins as soon as they wear out because michelins are hands down the best tire. Those and bridgestones.

I can not get my index finger nail between the tire and the bottom spring mount on the front struts. So, I think that this may be the biggest/widest tire that can be installed. Plenty of room in the back.

when you say index fingernail do you mean the nail like 1/16 inch or your finger and nail.seems if your clearance is that close you would scrape or rub on the bracket when hitting bumps.... that is real tight... any chance of a pic showing the tire and the strut bracket for how close????

Edited by 2late4u

So what tire is best brand to get for the 19 inch rims all wheel drive ?

I want something better then the Khumos

Has more meat on the tires and looks aggressive!

I had Pirelli scorpion atr on my old 03 explorer limited and I loved those tires!

So what size do you suggest as well

Right now I have 225/55/19

My finger + nail! I believe that this is the widest tire you can go. Absolutely no rubbing anytime. The Crossroad wheels do seem to have a slightly deeper dish than the other 19" DJ Wheels, which would push the tires out from the strut, so I would mount one tire first on the front to check for any rubbing.

Edited by dhh3

So what tire is best brand to get for the 19 inch rims all wheel drive ?

I want something better then the Khumos

Has more meat on the tires and looks aggressive!

I had Pirelli scorpion atr on my old 03 explorer limited and I loved those tires!

So what size do you suggest as well

Right now I have 225/55/19

That is an entirely subjective question. The brand I think is best, someone will think is garbage.

local tire shop has some 245 45 19 take offs that look really good says he would let me have a set of 4 for $250. mounted and balanced... checked the tire calculator and they would act be a tad smaller than org tires 225 55 19, would throw the speed off about 2 or 2.5 at 70 mph he said a lot of camaro guys upgrading to bigger tires is why he gets them has about 7 tires 2 of them look almost new the rest about 3/4 tread left on them...