Oil Change Message

Sommers

I can understand what you are saying but I cannot assume anything. Perhaps the customer didn't even do their own oil change and the dealer forgot to re-set it? Or some other oil change place did it and forgot to re-set it.Looks like Ed is new to the forum and went through the trouble of registering to be a part of the community here, which I welcome. The last thing I want to do is alienate a new forum member for asking a question.

Chris,

I think we all appreciate what you and DodgeCaresCa do. You are absolutely right about no one should feel they can't ask questions on this forum. After all what would be the point of the forum. As a new Journey owner, I can say that this site helped me tremendously prior to my purchase and I expect it will now that I'm an owner. This is a whole new experience for us and I hope this forum can continue to be a positive experience where no one feels they can't ask questions without feeling intimidated. Every member of this forum was "new" at one time and I like to believe we joined to help each other and share information to make our ownership a better experience.

• Official Dodge Support

"Hi all anyone know how to reset oil message change display, after changing the new oil. thanks"

If there is one thing I have learned from working on the forums is that you cannot assume anything. As recently as last week I was taken to task for assuming someone was of a particular gender on another forum I monitor.

From the quote above there is no way I would make the assumption that they changed their own oil, they have the manual, or that they are male. When I see a post such as the one above what I "assume" is that maybe a family member changed the oil for their mother who bought the vehicle used in which the manual was lost, and they forgot to reset the oil change message and the mom doesn't want to bother the family member to come over again just for that. Further, because she Googled it and got conflicting reports she figured she would come to an actual Journey forum and ask the question.

"Hi all anyone know how to reset oil message change display, after changing the new oil. thanks"

From the quote above there is no way I would make the assumption that they changed their own oil, they have the manual, or that they are male. When I see a post such as the one above what I "assume" is that maybe a family member changed the oil for their mother who bought the vehicle used in which the manual was lost, and they forgot to reset the oil change message and the mom doesn't want to bother the family member to come over again just for that. Further, because she Googled it and got conflicting reports she figured she would come to an actual Journey forum and ask the question.

Perfectly stated.

Why else are we here if not to help each other out. I've been helped here many times, and hopefully I've been able to return the favor. I have been an instructor for classes and have always told the people I was teaching "there are no dumb questions, only the one you don"t ask."

How about we all let this go away?????

• 2 years later...

So far my 2015 Journey EVIC has indicated Oil Change at 3500 miles every time. I don't mean around 3500 miles, I mean EXACTLY 3500 miles. It seems that it always occurrs early on a trip, then annoys me every time I start the engine. I read that the PCM used a "magic" algorithm to calculate when oil should be changed. I don't believe it as no matter the type of driving I do, it still comes on at 3500 miles.

So mechanic what is happening? (the Owner's manual indicates the interval could be as long as 8000 miles). My old '67 VW had 3000 mile changes with straight weight oil. Untfortunately the valve clearance had to be adjusted every other oil change (about 6000 miles) I would expect a modern engine to go 5000 miles before needing an oil change.

BTW, on the last trip when it came on I decided to "reset" it and put in my log book the expected odometer reading for 5000 miles. I then changed the oil at 5001 miles, reset the oil change again.

I think that 5000 miles is good enough and a good time for an oil change and tire rotation.

So far my 2015 Journey EVIC has indicated Oil Change at 3500 miles every time. I don't mean around 3500 miles, I mean EXACTLY 3500 miles. It seems that it always occurrs early on a trip, then annoys me every time I start the engine. I read that the PCM used a "magic" algorithm to calculate when oil should be changed. I don't believe it as no matter the type of driving I do, it still comes on at 3500 miles.

So mechanic what is happening? (the Owner's manual indicates the interval could be as long as 8000 miles). My old '67 VW had 3000 mile changes with straight weight oil. Untfortunately the valve clearance had to be adjusted every other oil change (about 6000 miles) I would expect a modern engine to go 5000 miles before needing an oil change.

BTW, on the last trip when it came on I decided to "reset" it and put in my log book the expected odometer reading for 5000 miles. I then changed the oil at 5001 miles, reset the oil change again.

I think that 5000 miles is good enough and a good time for an oil change and tire rotation.

Mine has been a couple of different intervals, but lately it is every 10,000 miles. Maybe you are just a really aggressive driver? Regardless, mine usually goes off at the max interval (well, 500 miles before the max interval).

• 1 year later...

I am confused about the Oil Change Reminder and how it is determined.  My 2012 Journey with 3.6-L Pentastar engine and 6 speed tranny announces at exactly 3500.0 miles for an oil change, for every oil cycle.  My 2015 Town&Country with 3.6-L Pentastar engine and 6 speed tranny went over 8500 miles and never gave an oil change message, so I changed it anyway.  My question is if the vehicle is to determine based on engine use, stress, heat etc, why do two similar drive trains have such a different interval, when I drive the both the same way, in fact I pull a pop-up trailer with the 2015 T&C which should by all rights make the cange interval shorter not longer.

I think Journey indicating an oil change at 3500.0 miles is not correct, the manual says 8,000 max.  What is the difference in the two Mopar machines (besides the oil filter)????

Edited by ChiefHart
add information

20 hours ago, ChiefHart said:

I am confused about the Oil Change Reminder and how it is determined.  My 2012 Journey with 3.6-L Pentastar engine and 6 speed tranny announces at exactly 3500.0 miles for an oil change, for every oil cycle.  My 2015 Town&Country with 3.6-L Pentastar engine and 6 speed tranny went over 8500 miles and never gave an oil change message, so I changed it anyway.  My question is if the vehicle is to determine based on engine use, stress, heat etc, why do two similar drive trains have such a different interval, when I drive the both the same way, in fact I pull a pop-up trailer with the 2015 T&C which should by all rights make the cange interval shorter not longer.

I think Journey indicating an oil change at 3500.0 miles is not correct, the manual says 8,000 max.  What is the difference in the two Mopar machines (besides the oil filter)????

It explains it in your owners manual how the mileage is determined. 

Edited by jkeaton

So my manual says this is how it works:

The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.

Would my driving style be different in another vehicle?  No I  don't think so, I think my driving style is the same, it is the oil duty cycle calculation is not working on the Journey, that is why is it is always 3500 miles no more no less. 

BTW I have read BOTH vehicles owners manuals cover to cover, more than once.

4 hours ago, ChiefHart said:

So my manual says this is how it works:

Would my driving style be different in another vehicle?  No I  don't think so, I think my driving style is the same, it is the oil duty cycle calculation is not working on the Journey, that is why is it is always 3500 miles no more no less. 

BTW I have read BOTH vehicles owners manuals cover to cover, more than once.

Probably should take it in for an evaluation.  

On 8/31/2017 at 7:38 AM, Steven Harshbarger said:

The oil light has yet to come on in my 2016 DJ.  I've got about 14k on it since I bought it and I changed it at around 6-7k mileage each time.  I'm guessing it's not working or I don't have that feature.  I've never had to reset it, so I don't know whats going on with it.

Well, just as I said that, the light came on over this past weekend.  Since I just changed the oil less than 1k mileage, I just reset it.  So apparently it is working for me.

2 hours ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

Well, just as I said that, the light came on over this past weekend.  Since I just changed the oil less than 1k mileage, I just reset it.  So apparently it is working for me.

didnt they tell you that you get free oil changes the first 2 yrs? also if your changing your oil and dont reset the reminder that why is why it went off after just 1 k of driving. i dont believe our journeys oil reminder actual checks the condition of the oil like my daughters  G.M. Tahoe does, i believe it is more off the miles you drive and maybe the way you drive... just what i believe...i bet your reminder will start going off around 6-  now   you do know how to reset it dont you? if not its in the manual real easy.

5 hours ago, 2late4u said:

didnt they tell you that you get free oil changes the first 2 yrs? also if your changing your oil and dont reset the reminder that why is why it went off after just 1 k of driving. i dont believe our journeys oil reminder actual checks the condition of the oil like my daughters  G.M. Tahoe does, i believe it is more off the miles you drive and maybe the way you drive... just what i believe...i bet your reminder will start going off around 6-  now   you do know how to reset it dont you? if not its in the manual real easy.

Yes, fully aware of how to reset the oil life meter.  I didn't buy the DJ new, so I wasn't aware of 2 year free oil changes.  Not sure if that would still apply to the second owner.  As far as when the oil lift meter goes off, its based on a rather large algorithm that calculates mileage, engine rpms, how long at all rpms, oil temps and i'm sure more.  I tend to trust it, so when it tells me to change the oil, I usually do.  With that said, no GM product ever checked the oils condition.  There are no sensors to detect the quality of the oil itself. I've owned many GM trucks over the years and they use the same type of algorithm to calculate the "best" time to change the oil.  With the DJ, i was around 6k mileage and saw no light, so I changed the oil and was thinking the oil life meter wasn't working or possibly didn't have one.  Now that the light came on, I reset it and I'll change the oil on  the next interval.  I do run full synthetics, so there shouldn't be a problem.