nitrogen vs reg air

2late4u

My wife's Hyundai has nitrogen, it's nice, but had to be charged at the dealership.

My dash lit up, yesterday, because of the cooler temps.  Took all of 5 minutes to even out the pressure and keep on going, without all the extra lights and alarms.

Sticking with air.

My experience has been it's not worth the hassle or the cost.  It does "even" out the tire pressure better than "air" but with that said, just keeping the air pressure about 2 psi higher than what the door says will work just fine.  You won't see enough difference between the 2 to justify.  And if your pressure is low, adding air defeats the purpose of going with the nitrogen, and going to a dealer to add a couple psi to one tire is just stupid.  Unless someones offering it for free, it's just not worth the hassle.

The 2 big things about nitrogen are that;

1.  It is dried (potentially reducing corrosion inside the rim and reducing the variance in air pressure to what is specified by Boyle's law).

2. The molecules are pretty large, reducing migration of the gas through the tire walls.

So, in theory you can go longer without topping up the pressure due to loss (but you still need to adjust for changing seasonal ambient temps) and your rims *might* like you better because there should be less moisture trapped inside.

In practice I wouldn't refuse it, but wouldn't bother paying for it - the atmosphere is already 78% nitrogen and constant topping up will concentrate the nitrogen further (though do nothing for the moisture).

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...