Pulling a trailer for vacation

Gatorboy

That size trailer is a perfect size for your Journey. I just moved my daughter on a 1000 mile move and my DJ did great. After loading the trailer and a few things in the back of the truck I was just over 1800 lbs (lucked out with a dump weigh station that let me weigh my load). Drive was a combination of heavy traffic city driving, over the grapevine in CA (mountain), and then some flat interstate driving. Weather was about 100 degrees and I had no issues. I did shut the AC off when climbing the mountain, but ran it pretty much the whole trip. I also used the manual shifter over the curvy mountain road to make sure I down shifted when necessary. I will say, I hit some high winds on the flat interstate and really felt that.

Three things to keep in mind...1. Don't drive too fast as tempting as it is, 2. Make certain the receiver/tongue is level so your tongue weight doesn't exceed the suggested max, 3. DON'T OVERLOAD.

Good luck.

20170701_175509.jpg

• 2 years later...

We use our 2010 DJ R/T 3.5L engine to tow our small 14' travel trailer (2290 lbs.) We put most of our cargo in the car. 

We had U Haul install a hitch with brake controller.

We added a weight distribution hitch and has been the key to safe handling. 

Just don't push it up steep grades! :)

P.S. Our DJ came with a trans cooler, so I'm sure that helps too.

dj-birdie2.jpg

trailer1 (3).jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Just curious. Recently traded in my pick-up for a Journey. Have a 16' Tracker boat that I have yet to pull. Weight of the boat is around 1400 lbs...Tongue weight about 120 lbs, so shouldn't be a problem. Got the tow/hitch from, and installed by, Uhaul. Just a little nervous, even though all the specs say everything should be more than fine.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:25 PM, William Burke said:

We use our 2010 DJ R/T 3.5L engine to tow our small 14' travel trailer (2290 lbs.) We put most of our cargo in the car. 

We had U Haul install a hitch with brake controller.

We added a weight distribution hitch and has been the key to safe handling. 

Just don't push it up steep grades! :)

P.S. Our DJ came with a trans cooler, so I'm sure that helps too.

dj-birdie2.jpg

That is a nice looking set-up. :cool:

• 6 months later...

After getting a second car (Chevy Volt) and basically quitting the dodge journey cold turkey due to being able to rely entirely on 40 miles of electric range per day for two people..., by wife brought up the idea of getting a really small travel trailer (think 1,000lb a-frame popup).

So, I'll be lookin to get the tow on with my '11. Good to have a reason to keep the DJ around.

• 4 weeks later...

I ultimamently did not use the pictured above setup due to safety concerns. 

The extended next effectively doubled (2.5x) the tounge weight of the camper, and not only did it cause stability issues but reduced steering substantially. 

I removed the dual adapter and extendor and moved the bike rack to the camper's tounge via a sideways mounted 2" receiver bolt on for an RV rear bumper. This solved every issue. I did not even feel the trailer unless I was stopping (in which case the distance was Notibly longer) 

Final recommendation, don't use a neck extension at all on the dodge journey for Towing at speed. It might not have been a real issue, but I didn't want one small swerve on the highway flip the dodge due to my idiotic stubborness to use the hitch I bought. 

Thanks 

Edited by NavalLacrosse