Thinking on getting a 2012 Journey

Hello there!

I'm new in this forum! I currently have a Korean 2005 sedan, I’ve never had a SUV or CUV, but my family got big and I need a new car.

I'm seriously thinking on purchasing a 2012 Journey, obviously used, only one owner. All maintenance from the local dealer, apparently no issues. I haven't had the opportunity to test drive it nor even talk in person with the owner, just by phone. I'll probably do it this weekend, however I'll like to know a few things about having a Journey from other Journey owners.

This particular model is a 2400cc 4l. I know I know, I should be looking for a V6 instead because the car is too heavy and the 4l engine is old. The thing is that in Costa Rica (where I live), gasoline prices are too high. Do you think the 2.4 really sucks?

I've heard about the problem with the brake rotors, for me safety always goes first, so I will definitely upgrade it to bigger rotors and if needed, Mopar calipers. How much did that cost you?

Is it true that the steering wheel is kinda heavy and stiff?

This model comes with a 4.3” radio, and I believe it doesn’t have Bluetooth (I didn’t ask), Is it too difficult to upgrade it to 8.4 stereo?

I always use original parts, Where can I find the part numbers so I can purchase them online?

Does the 2016 model uses the same spare parts as the 2012? If they're different part numbers, can I consider the 2016 parts to be better since they’re different (more recent) revision?

And the most important question: What should I be looking at this weekend when I get to try it? Is there a particular issue or matter that I should be worried about or at least pay attention to?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Edited by Esteban Sky Walker

I have a 2011 and I have had a good experience with mine.  The V6 and I4 engines are similar in efficiency.  The I4 engine is fine.  I have the small calipers and have replaced the pads with aftermarket EBC brake pads.  The brakes stop strong.  I haven't replaced the calipers.  I have no idea what you mean about the steering wheel.  It steers the car perfectly.  The 8.4 upgrade is possible, but too much trouble, IMO.  If you want the Uconnect experience, get a new DJ or one that already has what you want.  I don't think there will be a problem getting mopar parts for that DJ.  I'm not aware of any specific issues with the I4 DJs, but I'm sure others will chime in.  Good Luck.

Peace.

Why buy a used vehicle that isn't what you want?

Look for one that has the features you like and go from there lots of used ones around and a 2013 model would assure you of the bigger brakes and most likely the better infotainment system

I love my 2010 dodge journey i did my research on this suv and the first thing i did was upgrade the the rotors to cross drilled and slotted.  And it made a big difference.  And i really haven't had any issues with the suv 

Edited by Mopar manny

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Im thinking to purchase a DJ 2012 SXT. Im from Greece but currently live in Vancouver CA. That will be my first American car since i was always driving European cars. Im looking for a 2012 SXT 3.6lt engine. I found one with 130k Khm on the clock. I read a lot of negative comments around Web and I'm a bit sceptical about it. 

Is there any specific thinks that i have to check? Any recalls?  

In general, any help of what to look for will be much appreciated. 

Thanks

You can check for recalls yourself on the NHTSA website. What price are they asking? What trim level? Do you have the history of the vehicle? These cars can be really really good or really really bad. I believe it all depends on which day of the week the vehicle was built. Late 2012 they upgraded the brakes. Not sure of the exact date. 3.6 is a great engine. 

4 hours ago, jkeaton said:

You can check for recalls yourself on the NHTSA website. What price are they asking? What trim level? Do you have the history of the vehicle? These cars can be really really good or really really bad. I believe it all depends on which day of the week the vehicle was built. Late 2012 they upgraded the brakes. Not sure of the exact date. 3.6 is a great engine. 

Looks like he did only 1 out of 3 recalls available. Is early 2012, so no updated brakes on it. I ask for carproof and he said he will have it next week. When you say ''depends of which day of the week the vehicle was built'' what do you mean? Different days different standards :O ? 

The remain recalls on the car can be done by me If i visit a Dodge dealer? Will be for free or i will need to pay? 

Car price is 10.000CAD+Tax. 

Maybe i should search for a 2013+ and increase a bit my budget?

What you think about that vehicle : http://www.autotrader.ca/a/dodge/journey/burnaby/british columbia/5_40620986_20180105210953202/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_10_10&pc=V4C 7A9&sprx=100

Its a 2013 crew. There is a carproof attached to that page. To me looks like has been serviced only once !