8.4 uconnect cannot unlock maps - FIXED IN 6 STEPS (Confirmed)

4 hours ago, JHHZ said:

Hello,

I'm still not having any luck finding the files.  Is it possible for someone to send them to me?

I appreciate any help.  Thank you.

If you re-read the first post by pyrater, on the second paragraph (Step 1...) he already hinted (one of the few places) where you can obtain the necessary files (they are waiting for you). Google is your friend.

Or you can buy a used Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT or 3590LMT device on craigslist/facebook market place/ebay/amazon...

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2017 at 10:39 AM, pyrater said:

good luck,  msg me if u need help.

@Pyrater.

After downgrading to CTP13 and updating your Maps, how did you upgrade back to CTP17?  I downgraded to CTP13 and updated the files but now I can't upgrade the Software back to CTP17.  Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks

Jay

Edited by JaySQ4

11 hours ago, JaySQ4 said:

@Pyrater.

After downgrading to CTP13 and updating your Maps, how did you upgrade back to CTP17?  I downgraded to CTP13 and updated the files but now I can't upgrade the Software back to CTP17.  Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks

Jay

Please disregard.  The requirement for CTP15 only apples to RHB units, not to my system.  Need to figure out how to update though.

Thanks

Jay

On 4/1/2019 at 9:03 PM, JaySQ4 said:

Please disregard.  The requirement for CTP15 only apples to RHB units, not to my system.  Need to figure out how to update though.

Thanks

Jay

Getting the dreaded 0X 31A2 error towards the end of the update to CTP17.

Frustrating.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI

I had this problem for the past 3 years. Last year November my factory battery died and I had to replace it. before that, I had unlock maps problems. After replacing the factory battery with stock I haven't had problems for the past 6 months and my unlock problem has gone away. What I am saying is, try getting rid of your stock battery and replace it with an after market. So far, in the last 6 months I haven't had issues as I had in the previous year with the factory battery. Kind of makes me wonder is it really the GPS unit or was it my factory battery as the problem? The map system even loads faster than with the stock battery now...with the factory battery, my GPS unit was replaced 3x due to the unlock map issue and was slow to load...worth a shot!

Edited by journey13

• 4 weeks later...

hi all my 2014 dodge journey GPS has locked maps, would like to try this, but I cant find the 2017.20 files i found others but they were missing lots. i was thinking about shelling out 160.00 for the thumb drive, but if its mechanical and not software issue would be a wast of money..this is my second radio first was changed free of charge but this time nope..

thanks all

• 2 weeks later...

Stay away from the dealers.  They're just out to make money and are as bad as insurance salesmen.  Great during the sale but have no idea who you are after the sale.  Anyway, this fix worked perfectly for me.  You would think that since this is a "Dodge" forum, that Dodge would inform in writing all they're customers of this fix or do the fix themselves at no charge.  Csan you tell my experience with Dodge dealers was less than acceptable?

On 6/6/2019 at 1:52 AM, Ngrrox said:

this link may help for map files... keep it low profile.

Thanks So much, so after an 1 Hr of waiting and updating maps, 100% success it still said "maps locked" and no detailed maps, after radio rebooted,  I would hazard a guess that its my Radio then ? has others had this as well. thanks so much...

22 minutes ago, David Watson said:

Thanks So much, so after an 1 Hr of waiting and updating maps, 100% success it still said "maps locked" and no detailed maps, after radio rebooted,  I would hazard a guess that its my Radio then ? has others had this as well. thanks so much...

I think the original files might need unlocking, see original post for unlocking.

Just now, David Watson said:

I used gimgunlock.exe. to unlock files before moving on to thumb drive? should I do it again while files on thumb drive?

Not sure sorry, honestly I have not tried them out yet, I just post it right after I found them...  

update: :( tried again unlocked maps when i installed flashed drive it asked if i wanted to update maps, Gamin recognized that they were the same maps and asked to update anyways did so, again 100% maps installed correctly but i got the maps locked, so i guess my GPS unit is corrupt i however did order a Garmin GPS that I will put into car. seen some Dodge Journey radios on eBay fetching $160.00 to $400.00 Canadian. maybe in the fall i will go that route., thanks

On 2019/6/8 at 5:23 PM, David Watson said:

update: :( tried again unlocked maps when i installed flashed drive it asked if i wanted to update maps, Gamin recognized that they were the same maps and asked to update anyways did so, again 100% maps installed correctly but i got the maps locked, so i guess my GPS unit is corrupt i however did order a Garmin GPS that I will put into car. seen some Dodge Journey radios on eBay fetching $160.00 to $400.00 Canadian. maybe in the fall i will go that route., thanks

I think once they are unlocked before transferring to flash drive, it is unlocked and no need to unlock again. If I were you I would use all files from 2020 with gmap3d and gmapprom unlocked. 

Have you downgraded to CTP 13?

Protected Garmin file toolkit_2254_x64.exe

After two weeks of try I have finally resolved the unlock map problem, 0x31A0 issue and upgraded to 2020.10 Map today!! 

The map version I loaded to USB is 2020.10, total file size is aorund 6.1 GB.

Like many others, I have 0x31A0 error too and read every reply in this thread from page 1 to last and learned a lot from others. As other says, the key to resolve 0x31A0 is the USB drive! Basically, the symptom of 0x31A0 is when you insert USB, it fails the validation and says "Please retry update procedure or contact your dealer for assistance"; then if you do not click OK for 3 or 4 sec. it will pop up "Error on Reflashing. Errorcode: 0x31A0. Please touch screen". 

Overall, the key to pass validation and avoid 0x31A0 is to get a big brand USB 3.0 formatted as FAT32. I would recommend an at least 16GB USB drive if you are buying new one as the map will get bigger in following years anyway.

Here are all USB I tried and failed:

Noname 8GB USB 2.0 FAT32 -- No recognized at all
Kingston 8GB USB 2.0 FAT32 -- Recognized, validation failed. 0x31A0.
Noname 128GB USB 2.0 NTFS -- Not supported USB
Sandisk 256GB USB 3.0 exFAT -- Not supported USB

I read somewhere in this thread that people have higher success rate with USB 3.0 FAT32 format, but since my new Sandisk 256GB USB 3.0 came with exFAT which is better capabilities than FAT32. However, Windows does not allow me to format it to FAT32, I have to use DiskGenius to format my 256 GB USB to FAT32. 

After that, just loaded all files mentioend in original posting to USB, validation passed, navigation rebooted and the copying files to car took me around 1.5 hours, and finally I was noticed "Update Maps successfully" and "cant unlock detail maps" error is gone!

Also, with a larger USB I never need to use the Fallback method to load ASR, JCV, SID folders multiple times. All files and folders are copied to my car once.

If you have 0x31A0 issue, just keep in mind and convince your self that your dodge vehicle is a picky vehicle and only premium USB drive can match a premium vehicle. 

Special thanks to RScottyL, tanbam and many other members!

I did not acquire a Garmin Nuvi to get all necessary files. see [https://mega.nz/#F!gQIVkaZR!0gwsBO_4sO7g--fWHbAOMA] If you are reading this, keep it low profile.

IMG_20190613_184229.jpg

IMG_20190613_184312.jpg

IMG_20190613_201851.jpg

Edited by Ngrrox

On 1/31/2019 at 12:53 PM, JAR414 said:

My next step might be to buy the NavTool system so that at least I can have Apple CarPlay and use Waze.

NavTool for Apple CarPlay

They also have a solution if you have Android or just simply want to mirror your phone (regardless of OS) on your screen.

NavTool with HDMI Interface for any phone

Sounds like i am in the same boat as you. Downgraded from CTP17 to CTP13, all seemed to finish OK hen got error 31A0. Nav now sits at loading please wait-everything else on the Uconnect works fine. I've tried re-flashing 13 & 17 on lots of different USB sticks - they all fail the same way error 31A0. . Sticking in a USB with updated maps does work as the Nav system doesnt see it

Did you get yours resolved?

IMG_20190613_184157 .jpg

a.jpg

IMG_20190614_221150.jpg

IMG_20190615_100703.jpg

On 6/8/2019 at 5:23 PM, David Watson said:

Are these Nav enabled radios?

13 hours ago, Foden said:

Are these Nav enabled radios?

Ah yes.  The question of the century.

The sellers often have no clue and unless you have the magic decoder ring (which seems to not exist) the only way to know is if the part number matches one that you already know is equipped . . . and, for example, some of the part numbers for the radio from the Dodge Dart match those of the ones from the Journey - but because the 2 vehicles use different data busses, the Dart version won't work in the Journey (perhaps they configure themselves when intialised - I have a printer like that - I don't know). But you could well wind up with a non-nav radio or a paperweight - ad then there is a generational question.  There are three very different versions of the nav radio, and they use different firmware, only the latest version supports Sirius Traffic, 

So you take a deep breath, pay your money and hope for the best.

As it happens I have a fully functional nav radio sitting on my shelf that I bought as a spare a couple of years ago.  I have made it available for purchase since I haven't had any issues with my primary and I am reaching the end of my Journey (so to speak) after which it will be beyond redundant.

I had it unlocked for my vehicle when I got it, tested it and then put it on the shelf to be called into service if the nav in my car died..  

It is available for purchase for the amount i paid for it (US$800). It is the latest version of the radio, equipped with traffic support (the older one's weren't).

Thanks bramfrank

Pretty much as i figured. When it comes to buying this type of thing, unless i absolutely know what I need and the item I';m buying matches it perfectly I don't buy, Even with returns they can be expensive with shipping etc. I'd love your Nav radio but $1,075 CDN is way outside my comfort zone - sadly

Thanks for taking the time to reply though, much appreciated! 

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2017 at 11:09 AM, pyrater said:

Picture of problem

If your found this thread helpful or it fixed your issue please reply and post here.

Many pages of posts and no guide / fix posted. Course it costs 100.00 to replace the radio under extended warranty (1500-2000 without) and people on this forum will charge you 100.00 to help you, Plus they want your personal information.... All of course up front.... To further compound the issue its not like you can install an aftermarket radio with nav as this radio controls the environmental / ac / etc.  So in an effort to actually help the community since dodge has F***ed us i will post my results / steps so far.

STEP 1: First you need the files, most people pull these from a nuvi or the update cd they purchased. HOWEVER, you can get almost all of them from the net. I will not post a direct link here to avoid any rules about piracy, I am sure with a little googlefu you can find the files if you search for (    gps power "gmapprom.img - Original Locked"    ) or even torrents. 

When you are finished, the folder/file structure on the USB stick should look like this for 2017.20 map files:

When you first open the usb drive you should only see one folder, Garmin NOTHING ELSE. All files and sub folders go in that folder.

+Garmin
|       gmap3d.img        (3d Buildings North America)
|       gmapprom.img    (North America Detailed maps)
|       gmaptz.img          (Time Zone Map)
|       gmapbmap.img   (Basemap / non-detailed maps)
|       gmapdem.img     (Digital Elevation Model map / terrain shading)

+---ASR
|       05HPWWZK.SRX
|       05HPWWZL.ASR
|       05HPWX6O.srx
|       05HPWX6P.asr
|       05HPWX6Q.asr
|       05HPWX6R.asr
|       05HPWX6S.asr
|       
+---JCV
|       D3153210A.jcv
|       
+---SID
|       D2656220A.sid
|       D3157200A.sid
|       D3398190A.sid
|       D3406190A.sid
|       
+---SQLite
        D3397190A.db

Step 2: The gmapprom.img and gmap3d.img files should be manually unlocked before they go into the car using gimgunlock.exe. (See links at bottom for garmin image tools) To unlock the two files, simply drag-and-drop them one at a time onto the "gimgunlock.exe" file using your file explorer. It will only take a couple of seconds to unlock both files. A command window will flash by, so fast you may miss it if you blink.

Step 3: Downgrade radio navigation to CTP13! This is very important as newer versions have secuirty that prevents loading of maps without dealer codes. Take a second USB drive with the gupdate.gcd from CTP13. The one I found was not for a dodge journey, however it still worked. Turn on the car and hold temp up + temp down + front defrost, after a few seconds dealer mode will pop up. Select garmin recovery update and plug in the usb drive with CTP13 on it. NOTE: After you flash this it takes a long time to load. Let it load and it will still say cannot unlock maps. Just click ok, you may need to restart your car one time to click out of the pop up. 

Step 4: Updating the map package in the car. Take the map usb drive we prepared in step 1 - 2 and plug it into the usb slot once the car is running (important) and at the navigation screen (blue) with the messages gone. The update can take more than an hour, so plan accordingly or go for a drive. Very important that the car stays on! If the validation process has an error, especially if a "0x31A0" pops up, then this all-at-once method will not work. See below 

Picture Example 

Step 5: After the install process has reached 100%, the radio will again reboot. It may either tell you that the map update was successful or not, but if it got all the way to the end, the update was successful regardless of what it says. 

Picture Example

Step 6 (Optional): Take the CTP13 firmware usb and delete the CTP13 file and load the CTP17 file (same method as downgrade). Now upgrade the radio to CTP17 and enjoy your radio on the latest maps with the latest firmware.

Errors / things that may happen:
If the validation process passes, a window will pop up and will ask you if you want to update to the newer map. Proceed through the onscreen prompts. After this, the radio will reboot and begin copying the new files into the system. This will take a long time, so just let it finish. Occasionally, the radio may lock up at the reboot stage. If it doesn't reboot after a minute or so, you must pull the radio fuse in the trunk. I have no idea why this happens, but nothing bad happens to the radio and you can simply repeat from step 1 again after plugging the fuse back in.

4/25/2017 ADDED FEEDBACK:

Problems loading the maps may be with the thumb drive. Even though it is a 8gb and formatted fat32, and even though you can downgrade to ctp13 with it, loading maps with it may not work. Use a legit sandisk  drive and some have reported better success. - Provided by HawtDogFlvrWtr

Fallback method for installing full update:
The problem is that the maps are getting too big. If there's not enough free space in the radio to fit the updated files, the validation process will fail. There is a way to 'clean' out the radio of the older map files so that enough space is recovered for a full update. When you install the new map, the old files are deleted during the process. If you do not have new files to replace them in the update USB stick, nothing gets copied in their place so the internal flash drive space is released.

Step 1:

1) On the USB stick, create another folder in the root named "Disabled".
2) Move all of the Garmin subfolders (ASR, JCV, & SID) into the "Disabled" folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update. It will be faster, since fewer files are installed.

When this is done, you will have only updated the three files in the Garmin folder, gmapprom.img, gmap3d.img, and gmaptz.img. This will give you updated detailed maps, 3D landmarks, and time zones.

Step 2:

1) On the USB stick, move gmap3d.img & gmaptz.img from the Garmin folder into the Disabled folder. Leave gmapprom.img in the Garmin folder.
2) Move the JCV folder from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder.
3) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update again.

When this is done, the Junction View is now installed, and the 3D landmarks and time zones are still there.

Step 3:

1) On the USB stick, move the ASR & SID folders from the Disabled folder into the Garmin folder. Leave gmapprom.img and the JCV folder in the Garmin folder.
2) Plug the USB stick into the car and perform the update once again.

After this is completed, the system is fully updated to the new maps and all features work except for the phone number lookup.

REF: 
Orginal guide - http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-236649.html
Garmin Image Tools - (http://code.google.com/p/gimgtools/downloads/detail?name=gimgtools-0.03-win32.zip&can=2&q

Edited for the 2017 files only to clear up confusion.

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions. Dealerships don't bother trying to fix the issue and simply suggest to change the radio which I did once. But it is now out of warranty and I didn't want to spend the outrageous amount they were asking for. 

Thanks to you, I saved thousands of dollars and I am now, able to enjoy an upgraded nav system. I got all files online. Total download time was over 90 min. I did not run into any issues or error messages. Everything went smoothly and unit rebooted on its own within seconds.

Thank you again  !

• 6 months later...

Well, it's been over a year since I "bricked" my GPS/compass feature. Bought an used Garmin 2597LTM unit for $30 USD off eBay, and it works wonders. But I kept wondering if there was a way to recover...

Well, here's the solution I finally got...search for salvaged/junked Dodge Journeys with the RB5 radio and buy the RB5 radio once you verify that the car has RB5 using the VIN at any of the sites that allow you to see a vehicle's ID number. Also make sure the unit is working prior to spending your money. A good salvage yard will provide photo evidence that it is working.

Removal and replacement of the RB5 module is quick and easy, just make sure you copy down the replacement radio's serial number (infotainment.com shows you how to do the replacement on a YouTube video) 

Once you replace the RB5 with the used one, you might need to enter the Anti Theft code, which you can get from any Dodge dealer, over the phone (using your VIN and the replacement radio's serial number).

There's a good chance the replacement RB5 unit may need to have the maps unlocked...at this point, you can run the update procedure as listed in post #1. I did this last week...for $250 USD, I was able to get my 2014 Journey's GPS back to life. The Garmin unit I had previously purchased on eBay had the latest version of the North America maps (2020.30), which I was able to download to my trusty USB flash drive. The RB5 I bought for $250 from a junkyard had CTP16, which I downgraded easily to CTP13, and reloading the maps was a question of sitting in my car during my son's hockey practice.

All in all, better than spending over $1000 USD at the dealer or getting the infotainment modules.

• 8 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 3:58 AM, Summer Solstice said:

Good news. Please come back with an update after a period of time.

Well, you asked for an update and here it is. After replacing the unit, and loading the maps (2020.30), I left it on CTP13. The other day, decided to see if Garmin Express could update the maps...spoiler alert, it won’t. However, during my check, the Uconnect website suggested I update to CTP17 from their website. BAD IDEA.

The update worked...but it erased all the maps. I tried and tried to update them using 2021.20 (from my backup Garmin unit), to no avail. Finally today, copied 2021.20 to a brand new USB stick, but didn’t use the SID folder (stuck it in the Disabled) folder. Ran the procedure while

driving my daughter to her figure skate practice, and we’re back in business, with the 2021.20 version of North American maps.

Dodge wanted me to take the unit to a dealer for a checkup, in order for them to decide what to do. Since it’s not in warranty, that’s not gonna happen. I’m back to having a functional unit, and the method in post #1 WORKS!