So I had my cylinder head replaced. . .

My DJ seems to run fine but it has a loud clacking noise when starting cold. It almost sounds like an exhaust leak. The sound quiets after about 15-20 seconds. I will post a YouTube link when I can start cold again. Since the cylinder head replacement, my gas mileage has been pretty normal; 22 mpg average with a 70-30 highway-city mix. Any ideas? No trouble dash lights. Trying to decide whether or not to take it to the dealer. Arranging a cold start with me there will be a hassle.

Peace.

As promised. . .

The clack/chatter lasts about 30 seconds then fades away. Not cold today, not sure if it would last longer if the engine was colder. Any ideas? Not sure if I should take it into the dealer. As stated earlier, the DJ seems to run fine. Normal gas mileage and seems to have normal power. I noticed a little whine while accelerating today. Not sure if its just paranoid listening or not. Normally I'm listening to music and not getting after the accelerator.

Peace.

i would take it back and let them do a cold startup and be ready to argue with them that they didnt hear it or its no problem.at least get it in writing that you hear the noise. kind of sounds like a bearing noise in the belt tensioner at first good luck

Update. . . I dropped off my DJ on Thursday. I suggested all the things that were posted here to the service manager. No OBD codes. They did some sort of computer cam alignment and the cold start noise is still there upon cold start demonstration yesterday. Was told by the service manager that he will speak with the tech and get back with me today regarding what is the next step. He seems to think its something simple. I hope he's right. I'm nervous they will open the engine, get knee deep into it, not see anything out of place, close it, and I'll still have the noise. Or worse more problems. . . :shrug:

Peace.

Update: My DJ is not yet ready, but I did get a chance to speak with the service manager. The tech is replacing the hydraulic lifters as some of them exhibited play which the tech thinks is responsible for the cold start noise. Got a chance to look inside my pentastar. Pretty fancy. The cam shafts looked good with minimal wear. Not sure if they are replacing the rocker arms as well, but I think its just lifters. Two of the lifters definitely had play and could be moved between the thumb and index finger. I hope this is it. The service manager did not think there was any oil restriction to the top of the engine. Cam phasers were off, but no problems with those according to the tech. I guess its just a waiting game now. I hope this solves my noise. :(

Peace.

So I went to the dealer today. My DJ was nowhere to be seen. The service manager and tech servicing my vehicle were not available. Not sure if this is a cover-up of incompetence or simply events unfolding. I am hoping they didn't f**k something up. The service writer made a nonspecific statement about waiting for exhaust parts. This service writer doesn't know anything, I'm sure. I was told that they would call me today. Nothing. . .

Shit.

I wonder if they were road testing it together. If it was nowhere on the premises then it is likely together and running. The service advisor you spoke with today likely has no idea if he is not the one who wrote up your repair order. That's another story altogether. I hope all turns out well. Please keep us posted!

My Dealer actually has 4 Service Writers and they each have Assistants. Whoever writes up my repair bill is the one I see. If that person is unavailable, the others can search in the computer by my name and tell me where/what is happening to my vehicle.

OK. So I got my DJ back. Seems to run fine so far, start up noise was gone today. Tomorrow morning will be the true test.

Here's the story as I understand it. Left cylinder head was replaced. Left intake manifold was replaced due to oil in it. From a defective pcv valve? Not sure. But anyway intake manifold was replaced. Somehow during the left side repairs the left exhaust manifold bracket was not replaced, or fell off, or was not replaced correctly. The bracket was missing causing a cold start exhaust leak that would resolve when the manifold warmed up after 30 seconds or so. That's what I'm being told. So far, so good. Any changes and I'll update here.

Peace.

DJ sat all night. No noise on cold start up. Sounds normal again. I forgot to mention in my last update that all the left side lifters and rocker arms ended up being replaced as the tech initially thought the cold start sound was coming from the lifters. So they opened my engine for the cylinder head replacement and they opened the engine again for the lifter and rocker arm replacement. I just hope all this engine work got the original engineering gremlins out and it doesn't lead to engine problems over time. I hope to keep my DJ for a long time.

Maybe I'll wash my DJ this weekend. Clean cars always run better. . . Ha!

Peace.

• 1 month later...

Having my cylinder head replaced as I'm typing. I purchased my 2011 DJ less than a month ago. I noticed a rough idle during my short around the block test drive. At first I figured it may be the harmonic balance (crankshaft pulley), as they're known to have the rubber membrane start to walk out from the pulley. Although, I did notice a little deformity to the rubber, that wasn't the issue. I brought it back to where I had purchased it to have a sticker done, I let the mechanic know what I thought may be the issue. He noticed what I had noticed. Before I could get my foot out the door, the check engine light illuminated: )... They put it on the computer, #2 cylinder was misfiring. To make a long story short, the head is a defective part covered under Chrysler warranty. Can't wait to get my DJ back.