Automatic Transmission

Patrick Fanucci

I am having problems with the automatic transmission which does not deselect gears when slowing down. The car shudders and the engine cuts. When i select manual and decelerate through the gears this works fine. Was told that the problem is with the automatic gearbox. is this correct or can it be a computer issue? Garage have reset the diagnostics but it has not helped. any advice?

I am having problems with the automatic transmission which does not deselect gears when slowing down. The car shudders and the engine cuts. When i select manual and decelerate through the gears this works fine. Was told that the problem is with the automatic gearbox. is this correct or can it be a computer issue? Garage have reset the diagnostics but it has not helped. any advice?

Maybe I don't understand what is going on here, but I believe this is normal behavior for the manual setting. Mine behaves this way, I think. While the computer will force an upshift when accelerating in manual mode to avoid RPM damage to the gearbox, it will not force a downshift when decelerating. That must be done manually. If you don't want to shift, just leave it in automatic mode.

Peace.

• Official Dodge Support

Hey Patrick,

I am sorry to hear about your Journey’s recent condition. If you private message me the last eight characters of your VIN and contact info, including email and phone, I can forward your concern to our International Customer Care Team.

The 2015 4 speed definitely automatically downshifts IF you get slow enough. If you come to a complete stop in "manual," it should downshift to 1 automatically. Mine won't downshift until I get below 20, and won't downshift from 3 to 2 until it's under 10-15, but it will happen automatically.

*From the 2015 owner's manual:

The transmission will automatically upshift when necessary to prevent engine over-speed.

The transmission will automatically downshift as the vehicle slows (to prevent lugging) and will display the current gear.

The transmission will automatically downshift to first gear when coming to a stop. After a stop, the driver should manually upshift (+) the transmission as the vehicle is accelerated.

Edited by bfurth

• 3 weeks later...

hi sorry i dont think this is where i should post this ,but trying to find out about 2012 Journey R/T all wheel drive.When i'm sitting idle in park and put it into drive ,sometimes there is quite a harsh almost bang noise ,jolt,only does it sometimes ,sorry again if not right place to post

hi sorry i dont think this is where i should post this ,but trying to find out about 2012 Journey R/T all wheel drive.When i'm sitting idle in park and put it into drive ,sometimes there is quite a harsh almost bang noise ,jolt,only does it sometimes ,sorry again if not right place to post

Much posted occurrence , mine has done it occasionally since new and it appears

from other posts that it is regarded as normal.