Is the Dodge Journey oil filter really that special?

drjbg230

My last local shop (Kansas City rural suburb-private mechanic shop) forgot to call me to pick up my Journey after an oil change and they went home for the weekend. Next oil change I went to the next place in town (another local mechanic). I get a call after I dropped the car off that the oil change was going to be $60.00 "because of the oil filter". Nothing else, just an oil change.

What? A Fram filter at Walmart is $8.15. Most shops charge $40 and some $30. The 10 minute places charge $19.99.

Does the Journey require some special oil change that warrants a $60 service? Seems as though I should go back to doing it myself again or shop around a 3rd time.

Edited by drjbg230

The oil filter is different, yes. You can buy them at most parts stores and even walmart. I think I pay @10 for one. They are not like other oil filters in that they are just the filter, not a metal case. It fits into a housing on the top of the engine. Now, how they can do away with the metal and charge more is beyond me, but that's why I do my own oil changes. I don't trust anyone besides the dealer and will only use them if I have a coupon. I have to ask though, why wouldn't you ask for a price upfront and not after?

I did ask before I dropped the car off and they said it would be $40. Then he called me later. I told him I had a 5$ off coupon. He also said he would speak to the owner since I told him I'm within walking distance and I wanted to be a regular customer if he could work with me on the oil change price. So I chalked up the extra fee today to the convenience of getting the darn thing done and seeing whether this business will do the right thing and make me an offer that will be a win-win for both of us.

I appreciate your response though- it motivated me take care of it myself next time if the shop doesn't coime back with a reasonable fee.

I did ask before I dropped the car off and they said it would be $40. Then he called me later. I told him I had a 5$ off coupon. He also said he would speak to the owner since I told him I'm within walking distance and I wanted to be a regular customer if he could work with me on the oil change price. So I chalked up the extra fee today to the convenience of getting the darn thing done and seeing whether this business will do the right thing and make me an offer that will be a win-win for both of us.

I appreciate your response though- it motivated me take care of it myself next time if the shop doesn't coime back with a reasonable fee.

This is why I always change my own oil ...

to be honest i've seen some places that charge more for their oil filter than what the dodge dealer charges for it. but either way shouldn't be more than $12. max also be careful about which oil filter they use, the 3.6 uses different filters depending on which year vehicle you have. quick change or small oil change places MAY not know this... check with your dodge dealership and they will show you the difference in them... my 2014 3.6 takes a different one than my 2011 3.6 did......

My extended warranty came with free oil changes, so I have to rely on my Dealer doing it right! BTW, anyone know where the oil cooler is? I have never even seen my engine because I'm afraid of breaking something if I try to remove the "beauty" cover!

I always buy my Mopar oil filters on ebay in packs of 5 or 10 at a time. Usually end up paying about $4-5 a piece for them that way. Dealers and auto vendors sell them. If you guys are paying $10+ a piece for them, you're all getting ripped a new one...

I always buy my Mopar oil filters on ebay in packs of 5 or 10 at a time. Usually end up paying about $4-5 a piece for them that way. Dealers and auto vendors sell them. If you guys are paying $10+ a piece for them, you're all getting ripped a new one...

just checked ebay for 2014 3.6 oil filter cheapest was about $7.75 for 6 filters next deal figured out to 54.95 for 6 =$9. each ill just get mine at the dealer i pay about $8 with my discount.

• 3 months later...

Our 2009 still has the more common filter type. When did they change to the canister? (I know that way back pretty well all oil filters were the canister type, but that's been a good long while, something only the older folks will remember.)

Our 2009 still has the more common filter type. When did they change to the canister? (I know that way back pretty well all oil filters were the canister type, but that's been a good long while, something only the older folks will remember.)

Still plenty of vehicles use the standard type oil filter.

yea i remember them, only thing different is back then you were on your back looking up now days your standing and looking down when changing that oil filter....

On my 46 Plymouth the access is from the top. People used to complain about the mess it made when you pulled the filter element out of the canister. One of my Uncles had one that used a roll of TP as the filter. But back then an oil filter was an option, and if they did have one, it was a bypass filter, like on my Plymouth. (It would be inteesting to know how much of the oil goes through the bypass valve on the modern engines, and if & how much that changes as the miles since last filter change mounts.)