12 volt power fuse keeps blowing

Which are you using when it blows? DO NOT USE A BIGGER FUSE. The wires cannot handle a 30 amp draw, you could start a fire. If your dvd player is blowing it, check what its draw is supposed to be. Replace with the proper size fuse, dont plug anything in for a couple of days, see if it blows. If it blows while being used, its more than likely the device. If it blows by itself, its the vehicle. Ive used mine in my 09 for all kinds of stuff, never blew the fuse...let us know

At least it's not like the old fuses , fuse blows so just wrap the fuse in foil....then wonder why the wiring starts melting ....

Never ever put a bigger fuse in ...in fact the safest way to figure out is put a lower fuse rating as you keep replacing fuses.. Something in that DVD player is causing problems

I think you answered your own question;

Mobile DVD players do not consume much power, so blowing a fuse is indicative of a significant fault.

Since the fuse only blows when you plug in the DVD player something in the DVD player or it's cable assembly is shorting. If you have a warranty for it I'd suggest you return it or send it in for repair as appropriate if you don't want to get into fixing it yourself.

(note to OhareFred: Arcing is not a possibility because of the low voltages involved).

As an electrician you know that putting in a larger fuse to replace one that blows can be dangerous, though a slightly larger fuse in a residential application isn't usually an issue because wiring is typically larger gauge than necessary for the task - but in vehicles they don't overdo the wire size so they can save weight - so if the fuse blows twice you should not be tempting fate and stop replacing them until you resolve the cause.

Not all 12v DC plugs are the same. I bought a 12v to USB converter from Best Buy and it would not seat properly in the 12v Port under the dash. I took it back in and swapped it for a different brand. Popped in perfectly. Weird.

Actually, current does not initiate an arc - current will cause an arc when a high current connection is BROKEN - voltage and the specifics of the gaseous medium (pressure, temperature and the nature of the gas itself) are the factors that determine the distance required to spontaneously arc across a gap.

The rules that determine the minimum gap is called Paschen's Law. At 12 volts and under normal atmospheric conditions that gap is so tiny that it is virtually impossible to have a traditional automotive installation where the wires are close enough to arc without shorting together.

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 weeks later...

Bobcat/all.

I'm having this exact same problem with our 2013 SXT. All of the 12v ports are out. None of them work. Started the same way, cell charger and dual DVD player plugged into the back of the center console.

My question is which fuse is it? (I know it's a 20 based on comments above) Is it the block in the engine bay or under the passenger side?

Anyone have a pic of the specific one to replace?

Thanks!

my daughter 2007 caravan front power outlet quit working but the back one still worked couldn't find any blown switches so i put in a new one and it worked for a while then it quit and still no blown fuses but when checking for power with a meter nothing was there, as she uses this for a mail vehicle i just ran a new wire to the battery and put in a new inline fuse and she hasn't had any more problems, oh well it works.