Random Chime During Hard Braking

Perhaps the master cylinder reservoir has just enough brake fluid to cover the fluid level sensor and when you stop hard the sensor is momentarily exposed triggering the chime/light. The level in the reservoir will lower as the pads wear. Try filling the reservoir to the full mark.

I never even thought of the momentary drop in the reservoir. I will check that as soon as I get done work tonight. Thanks!

Years ago I was getting a brake warning when the nose of my car was steeply down but not when steeply up. The fluid level was just above the bottom mark on the reservoir and I suspected it was traveling off the sensor enough to trigger the warning. Inspected for leaks, topped off the fluid, drove the same steep route, no more warnings. I maintain the level near the full mark.

If your fluid is that low check your pads. Brake fluid doesnt just get used up. When your pads are new, the fluid will be at the full mark. As the pads get used up, the caliper piston stays further out, lowering the level in your master. If you are below the low mark either 1 you may have a leak or 2 your pads need replacing. Adding more fluid wont really hurt, but will make a big mess when your brakes get done. If you dont know about brakes, take it to a trusted garage and have it checked. Not something you want to mess with if you are not familar on how to do brake repairs. Good luck!

If your fluid is that low check your pads. Brake fluid doesnt just get used up. When your pads are new, the fluid will be at the full mark. As the pads get used up, the caliper piston stays further out, lowering the level in your master. If you are below the low mark either 1 you may have a leak or 2 your pads need replacing. Adding more fluid wont really hurt, but will make a big mess when your brakes get done. If you dont know about brakes, take it to a trusted garage and have it checked. Not something you want to mess with if you are not familar on how to do brake repairs. Good luck!

Good point... That warning isn't just telling you that your fluid is low (assuming that's what it is), it is telling you it's time to replace the damn brakes! Let us know how it shakes out.

• 7 months later...

Perfect! This post just answered my latest question.

Scenario: I had just come to a slow stop on a downhill when the brake warning light illuminated with a "BING". This is the first time this has happened at this particular stop light. I know my park brake was fully released so that had nothing to do with the warning. I just got home and rather than hunt through the manual I came here and found this post. It turns out that my brake fluid was about half way down so I brought it up to the 'FULL' line. I expect this won't happen again but I will find out soon enough. ;)