2014 DJ R/T

Gas Man

Bought in Sept 1014, my R/T now has 20,600 KM. Love my DJ, a pleasure to drive, but still getting used to its size and view for parking etc compared to my old Saturn. Power and reasonable fuel economy of the V6 as well as AWD last winter are the best. Very quiet ride, as compared to other test drives I took last Sept.

Have had a few disappointing problems;

Right front wheel bearing had to be replaced this past spring

Navigation unit went down this summer, fixed by replacing the whole radio with a refurbished, not new, unit

Of course both issues fixed under warranty, hopefully not an indication of future problems.

Two trips with it from Ontario to PEI and back, great on the highway, plan to keep it for a long time (I am retiring in Jan/16 and there is no doubt this will be my last brand new car).

Yea forgot to mention that when I had the radio replaced, the guy behind me in line at the service department in the dealership with another 2014 DJ R/T was there for the same issue, failed navigation unit. I commented to the service rep that I heard this was a common problem, all I got was a shrug. Anyone else out there have there radio replaced with a refurbished unit and are they still working?

An extended factory warranty and rustproofing can be excellent investments if you are planning to keep the car . . . . your radio, for example is a $2,000 repair. The electronics are a mystery to many dealers and the modules can cost a fortune. Being in Canada we get hosed on these plans, but I sprung for the 115K/7 year plan with no deductible. You should be able to get it for ~$2K, there may be an inspection fee, depending on the vehicle age and mileage.

The only issues with my 2014 R/T have been the washer fluid sensor crapping out at 13,000 miles (for some reason, Dodge sensors after 2007 dissolve when using RainX solvent), an annoying whine from the 3.6 that I'm hoping is just the idler pulley that has a TSB out on it, and thin paint. It seems Toluca's paint shop is in need of upgrading.

Otherwise it's been a great car, almost 18,000 miles now. I plan on keeping it at least until I buy a house in a couple of years.

The only issues with my 2014 R/T have been the washer fluid sensor crapping out at 13,000 miles (for some reason, Dodge sensors after 2007 dissolve when using RainX solvent), an annoying whine from the 3.6 that I'm hoping is just the idler pulley that has a TSB out on it, and thin paint. It seems Toluca's paint shop is in need of upgrading.

Otherwise it's been a great car, almost 18,000 miles now. I plan on keeping it at least until I buy a house in a couple of years.

Does that mean you're living in your Journey?

My paint seems pretty thin too. It is very annoying how many chips show up in the black paint with it being so thin...

My paint seems pretty thin too. It is very annoying how many chips show up in the black paint with it being so thin...

If I shine a good light on the fenders, or the sun is at the right angle, I can see the metal. I can also see where the clear coat is almost non-existent on the edges of the fenders next to the hood. I have to remember to take it in for warranty repair.

They still install new ones at the factory, but the warranty does allow them to install refurbs, so your complaint will fall on deaf ears. I am of the opinion that issue with the nav is related to a combination of features that are interacting badly, which points to a software issue, rather than a hardware problem - but that is with the limited information I have been able to glean from the user base here.

I will no doubt regret writing this, but my unit has been running just fine.

Since the fall of 2014, I have had my nav/radio system replaced twice. The first time, the disc player stopped working, and I was told they could not repair it [much to the disappointment of our 6 year old granddaughter who watches movies on the rear video screen]. So I waited weeks to get a replacement unit. Then, last spring, the nav system stopped working. Same drill, into the dealership "sorry we can't fix it, we have to order another unit." so more waiting. Everything seems to work fine now and it got a good workout on a recent 450 km trip north of where I live. However, I have no idea if the two replacement units were new or refurbished. It never occurred to me to ask.

Not all RB5 radios have had issues, by any stretch.

And, while the DVD is a separate component that can be unbolted from the radio, it is not available as a separate part, which is why the dealer replaced the entire radio - the problem is that they swapped in a refurb unit that had nav issues and which had been 'repaired' (I think all they do is reload the entire memory map) - so you may have inherited a radio that is prone to issues as a result.

You can actually find the DVD module on eBay, sold separately. They do show up reasonably often.

• 1 month later...

We just got a 2015 certified pre-owned Journey SXT and one of the requirements I had was for the center stack to get upgraded (they didn't have an SXT that had the 8.5" UConnect in it). We could've gone for the 8.4" upgrade but the amp is muddy and it was $2500 without an aftermarket amp to clean it up.

Stay with me here: My wife has a 2005 Jeep Liberty, which we love, and had a factory head unit that constantly ate CD's. On the third swap she finally asked me to put in an aftermarket head unit. I did and not only does it sound a lot better on the factory speakers but it never has had an issue with the CD player (thank you Pioneer).

Back to the Journey, we decided to go with an aftermarket upgrade for $1600 instead (under warranty install). Now I've got a great Pioneer NEX head unit that I know I can trust to deliver great sound (sounds fantastic) and is reliable (this is my fourth Pioneer head unit). The only disappointment is the loss of the excellent factory climate controls which was replaced by a squishy aftermarket version that sits in the well in front of the cup holders. That's thanks to how Dodge designed the center stack guts. There isn't depth room for the head unit where the 4.3" display sits. It's a really aftermarket unfriendly design.

FYI. Not all the 8.4s have an external amp. I kept the HU (8,4) but added 4 Alpine 6x9's in the doors, swapped the dash speakers for Alpine tweeters with inline x-overs, added an Alpine "Brick" amp, and installed a Kicker 8"sub in a ported box, mounted under my seat. Neither factory system can match this!

• 3 weeks later...

FYI. Not all the 8.4s have an external amp. I kept the HU (8,4) but added 4 Alpine 6x9's in the doors, swapped the dash speakers for Alpine tweeters with inline x-overs, added an Alpine "Brick" amp, and installed a Kicker 8"sub in a ported box, mounted under my seat. Neither factory system can match this!

I just got done installing my Christmas gift. 3.5" Infinity Reference dash speakers and 6x9 Infinity Primus speakers for the rear. I already had installed my old 5 1/4" Kenwoods Excelons in the front door. Now it sounds clean, tight, and punchy. All I need now is a sub to fill in the 20Hz-45Hz gap I've got. I'm thinking of getting the factory 8" sub mount and putting a Pioneer 8" sub in it. I'll use a Kenwood mono amp (small and great for the price) and be set. I just have to figure out where the hole in the firewall is. Edited by QuarterSwede

Before you do this, check out the Kicker under seat 8" sub, made for single cab pick up trucks. It is mounted in a ported box, similar to a Bose Radio. I could not believe what this little sucker puts out. It even came with a remote gain. I can vibrate all my mirrors, hurt my ears and move my baggy jeans when I am wearing them. I had Best Buy install it. No oversize cables to the battery. It was installed on the output side of the radio, between the radio and amp. And, it fits under my seat, even if I run the seat all the way down.

Since I went to the trouble of installing an 8" sub and amp in my Nitro, I had reservations on how this would sound. It is a 100 times better. It must be the ported enclosure. I installed the sub in the factory box in my Nitro. When my Dealer was installing my BU camera as part of my deal to purchase my DJ, they removed the left rear panel of the third row. I looked in where the factory sub would mount, and there is not enough room to move any air, IMHO. Members with the factory Alpine sub refer to it as "muddy". That is why I chose the simple route, and ended up with a much better sound.