62TE Transmission Disengages In Drive After 1 Minute - Reverse Works - Very Dangerous

13DODGE

Similar situation as per Mr. Burn's post on 18 July 2015.

Our 2013 WinterChill Dodge journey has been very reliable with the exception of an alignment and 1 front bearing. We are at 89xxxKM with majority highway driving. Today driving into downtown Toronto, the transmission disengaged and there was a sudden loss in all power. The 3.6L Pentastar was still purring but would rev as if it were in neutral. We pulled off the DVP onto Lakeshore BLVD. in very dangerous traffic.

My diagnosis was that the transmission would disengage about after roughly 1 minute of engaging into 'Drive'. One would then have to turn off the engine, open and close the door, and THEN restart and engage into 'Drive'. One minute thereafter, repeat. It is interesting to point out that one must open and close the front door to reset and engage into 'Drive' again. I believe the function of opening and closing the door is to shut down the electronics of the vehicle. The electronics of the Journey (music, dash etc.) shut down only after opening the driver or passenger doors.

'Reverse' always works. Selecting gear 1 through +/- does not make a difference. It is also interesting to note that the engine is allowed to rev to 7000 RPM's while the transmission is disengaged (It is not in neutral otherwise the rev limiter would cut at 4000 RPM's). There is an extremely hard clunk when shifting between 'Reverse' and 'Drive'.

FCA Roadside Assistance towed us to the nearest dealership, they open tomorrow morning and we have yet to see what will happen. I am suspecting that it is an electrical problem, maybe a solenoid? Hopefully this has not done any physical damage to the transmission? Definitely expecting this to be covered under the 100,000KM Powertrain Warranty. And quite frankly, I am at this point uncomfortable with keeping the vehicle past 100,000KM as this could have caused a serious accident.

Could anyone advise if they have seen this particular issue before?

Thanks!

Edited by 13DODGE

Update:

Toronto Chrysler dealership checked the Transmission Oil level, it appears that the transmission is overfilled at the 90mm mark where it should be within the 50-60mm mark when warm. The computer shows a code according to the technician which states "Error with Gear Ratios?". I had the technician show me on the spot the level to verify.

The vehicle has only been serviced at FCA dealerships since we purchased new, and never any reason to top-up the Transmission Oil level. Toronto Chrysler tried to investigate with prior two dealerships that the Journey was serviced at and none claimed they did anything to the transmission (as suspected). Toronto Chrysler is not giving us any options other than to pay the service to drop the transmission oil level and move forward from there ($125 labour + cost of Mopar Transmission Fluid). They do not know if this will necessarily fix the problem, stating "Weird things occur when the transmission level is over the specification". Unsure if this is fair?

I do not see any reason to overfill the transmission, nor does it make sense for the vehicle to have been at that level from the manufacturer. All very strange.

Good luck with Your transmission. Being that close to your 100,000km I would really push to see if there are any metal shavings in your transmission fluid and if there is have them drop it and do a full inspection. Your description of your experience sounds way to familiar. PM me if you want more information on my experience. I found Dodge to be great to deal with after they diagnosed the issue.

Got the old (trusty) Journey back - she lives to die another day.

After Toronto Chrysler bullied us for two days (and made us pay $218.54 in the end for their incorrect diagnosis), they overhauled the transmission...yikes.

First, I must thank the dealership for treating us like human beings after announcing they would cover the remainder of the work under warranty, after the fluid + filter change and two days of unnecessary hassle, they also obliged to provide a rental after asking twice, a Hyundai Elantra. Thank you.

What was the problem? They stated a blown clutch piston/retainer seal. I spoke to the young technician who did the work, I asked him to verify the oil level in front of me before I left, and he said that he "threw in many new parts" and that it was his "biggest job".

Here's a list of parts in the invoice:

1 RL078723-AD Valve BOD 21-138-01
5 68218057-CA Fluid 01-081-090

5 Envoil1 ENV/FEE

1 68272623-AA Trans Kit 21-004-00

1 RL070538-AB Conv Kit 21-046-005

1 68064369-AB Cover 21-003-028

1 68020279-AA Retnr pkg 21-133-00

1 04412248 Spring 21-137-022

On their very own invoice it states that: Overfill issue would not cause Gear Ratio Error as per Engineering 09/22/15. Continue Diagnosis.

A few more of their Comments:

Complaint: Road Test after level reset - continue diagnosis
Cause: Gear ratio in 3rd P0733
Correction: Vehicle is slipping in gear...
Removed pan to check for metal debris, none found, fluid condition ok.
Checked clutch volume index. Good...
Recommend overhaul.

Overhauled transmission. Found 2/4 Clutch piston/retainer seal torn. Replaced 2/4 piston/retainer.

Reassembled transmission. Filled fluid. Performed quick learn, road tested vehicle, good at this time.

I asked if this internal leak/blown clutch piston/retainer seal would cause the level to vary and they said "no - the overfilled transmission remains a mystery". Going to call FCA Canada tomorrow to ask for a refund due to an incorrect diagnosis. Definitely glad that everything seems to be ok now, a little worried about the overhaul, but definitely appreciate that the rest was covered. Apologies to the avid members in the forum that my posts have been solely negative recently, there are many positives but the negatives seem to ring the loudest - especially with customer service!

21226329854_c9cbd57baf_b.jpg

Edited by 13DODGE

Since the repair was covered I don't know why you were charged for the diagnosis.

It is possible that the transmission was overfilled from the factory, though was the engine running when they measured the fluid level? Many vehicles require that the engine be warm and idling and if it was supposed to be and yours was not, the level would read high. The code in question that you reported could be a symptom of a bad sensor.

You might want to consider springing for an extended warranty - repair costs, especially on electronics can be very high.